Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Your Top 5 Films
Topic Started: Sep 16 2010, 09:10 PM (135 Views)
Fin
Member Avatar
Chasing Wind mills
1. Transformers The Movie (1987)
2. Batman Mask of The Phantasm
3. Prince's Bride
4. High Noon
5. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 21-Skwerl Salute for the Dizzy Twirling Hippy Chick!

Canada-Fin
Equinox-Hospitlar
AoQ-Hero
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

davislyvania
Member Avatar
You! Yes...YOU....
You mean Princess Bride, right? I must admit that is better than is generally given credit for.

Hm. Mine are hard to pick. I usually do it by category, Best Comedy, Best Action, etc. But if five I must choose...

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey. First "not for kids" movie ever seen, it's the reason I'm so disappointed in the way things really turned out.
2. Life of Brian. Crazy comedy as only the Python Boys can manage.
3. Blues Brothers. The last of the great chase movies made in North America.
4. Road Warrior. The last of the great chase movies made anywhere, with no CGI.
5. Star Wars. I put it last because I do hate rebels and ewoks so. Imperial rule forever!

Fin
Member Avatar
Chasing Wind mills
Bah spelling, but Star Wars is a saga so do you mean The Empire Strikes Back if ya such an Imperial dude?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 21-Skwerl Salute for the Dizzy Twirling Hippy Chick!

Canada-Fin
Equinox-Hospitlar
AoQ-Hero

Bob_of_Mage
Member Avatar
All-Star
Off the top of my head:
- The Beast (1988)
- Jurassic Park (childhood favourite)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (also saw it as a kid when it returned to theatres)
- Batman (1989 film)
- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Why say something with one word, when you can use twelve words instead!

Omnivorous
Member Avatar
The AntiEss
Shichinin no Samurai (duh...)
2001: A Space
The Great Escape/The Italian Job (brainwashed every Chrimbo)
North By Northwest
I'm going to say that Holy Grail is better than Life of Brian.
# of Posted Image points: -2

Department of Immigration Member
Posted Image

Bob_of_Mage
Member Avatar
All-Star
Damn I forgot the Holy Grail. Should be on my list somewhere, but itís too late now.

davislyvania
Member Avatar
You! Yes...YOU....
Yeah, Holy Grail is funny, no question, but it was pretty much their first attempt. Life of Brian is far more structured and better paced. It has to be the most quotable movie ever made!

As for "Empire Strikes Back", while that is the best of the series, it lacks one major thing: a definitive Imperial victory. Why are there still rebels after it ends? Seems to me that an Empire with a million worlds' worth of resources would do more than send a few ships and some Walkers against the rebel HQ. Ideal outcome: Luke dead, Solo sent to Kessel (the hard way) and Leia taken for training as a Sith Lord. Dagobah and Endor would be newly made asteroid fields.
Of course, that doesn't mean Palpatine has to be in charge: he's a bit of a flake. So have Thrawn or Zaarin (See the TIE Fighter videogame) take over. They were both far more effective anyway. In any case, a galaxy free of war and a million years of stability is in the cards with a complete Imperial win.

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
Difficult to cut it down to 5, but I think that's it:

Aliens
Ran
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Airplane!
Mad Max I & II

There are a few more recent films that might be contenders, District 9 and Children of Men perhaps, but I'll have to watch them again to be sure.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Bob_of_Mage
Member Avatar
All-Star
The Empireís biggest weak point was the racist. The Empire spent most of itís time enforcing marital law on non-human worlds that were constantly revolting. Also any non-human talent went to the rebels with the exception of Thrawn, and even his brilliant mind was shipped to the outskirts of the galaxy. You just donít beat an insurgency with genocide and fear based tactics. If the Imperials were as enlighten as they became decades the rebels never wouldíve had the support they needed to win so easily.

davislyvania
Member Avatar
You! Yes...YOU....
Hm. Empire racist but Hutts aren't? No, that card can't be played in the SW universe. The movies exist for us to escape such idiotic PC crap, not to play on it. Reason the Empire was human: by chance, every actor in England and Tunisia, etc, was human. Go figure! Note that most of the rebels were human, too, if only because those alien costumes were expensive.
But remember, if you must, that the Empire didn't invent slavery. It came about because Vader himself had been the slave of a birdlike alien junk dealer. And maybe because Wookiees aren't good for much else...

Airplane! should have been on my list, too. Been a while since I watched it. Definitely a...unique...brand of comedy there. Police Squad never really became a movie, it was too smart for audiences, though the Naked Gun series used the same character. Also, how I forgot Raiders of the Lost Ark I can't imagine. Sigh. There's just more than five great movies!

Pez201
Member Avatar
New and improved
In no particular order:

The Magnificent Seven
For a Few Dollars More
The Shawshank Redemption
Terminator 2
Die Hard with a Vengeance
"I never said i was the first person..yesh. I admit Pez was the first one to throw a goat" - Fin
Leader of the Canadian Fat Whale Party from 21/5/08 - 29/8/09 and from 1/8/09 when his 48 hour brain fuzz cleared up. :D

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
My 5 fave movies this year.

Inception
Easy A
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
The Switch
Date Night

Seems like every other movie I see this year is either good or great. :D

Edit:
Date Night was funnier, but The Switch handled the dramatic parts a little better. Scott Pilgrim is this year's The Hangover. I don't know which one got more laughs out of the audience. :lol:
Chuck Norris Points: 2

28 DAYS LATER: Abraham Weiss ~ 3:10 TO YUMA: Dwight "Bud" Marlowe ~ CANADIAN DOMINATION: Lord Marshal Casder ~ COPS: Jamie Vance ~ CSI: Jesse Vance ~ D&D: Caliban Canivar ~ GUARDIAN SOCIETY: Salvo, Alpha Boy ~ ON THE FRONT: Pvt. Dominic Reardon ~ MEDIEVAL TIMES: Prince Johann ~ SPIES: Leroy Perlman ~ STAR ADVENTURE: WO Andre Lanter ~ STRANDED: Justin Vance ~ SUPERNATURAL: Rhett Van Sprang ~ TIMESPLITTERS: Spc. Jeremiah "Rookie" Vance ~ WILD LIFE: Rex

« Previous Topic · Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply