Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Inception
Topic Started: Jul 21 2010, 11:19 AM (169 Views)
disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
I watched Inception last night. It was awesome. I thoroughly recommend you all watch it.
It's quite complicated, and there's a few bits that don't quite add up, but overall it's great.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
I had a hard time understanding some of the finer details about what was happening in some parts, but I think I was able to wrap my head around the basics. Is it possible for something to be very abstract but technical at the same time? :blink:
Chuck Norris Points: 2

28 DAYS LATER: Abraham Weiss ~ 3:10 TO YUMA: Dwight "Bud" Marlowe ~ CANADIAN DOMINATION: Lord Marshal Casder ~ COPS: Jamie Vance ~ CSI: Jesse Vance ~ D&D: Caliban Canivar ~ GUARDIAN SOCIETY: Salvo, Alpha Boy ~ ON THE FRONT: Pvt. Dominic Reardon ~ MEDIEVAL TIMES: Prince Johann ~ SPIES: Leroy Perlman ~ STAR ADVENTURE: WO Andre Lanter ~ STRANDED: Justin Vance ~ SUPERNATURAL: Rhett Van Sprang ~ TIMESPLITTERS: Spc. Jeremiah "Rookie" Vance ~ WILD LIFE: Rex

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
It's hard to discuss without dropping some major spoilers, but the whole kick/wake-up bit at the end was quite confusing. I need to watch that bit again and see if it actually makes sense or whether they just kludged it.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Yeah, that threw me off a little too. Especially when she mentioned blowing up the hospital, I got really confused. Since when were they in a hospital? And I never understood exactly how they managed to plant the idea. I mean, the guy impersonates the other guy to feed the idea to the target (through the power of suggestion?), then they go down a level and somehow he tells it back to himself, or his subconscious, and he ends up thinking that he thought it up all on his own? What?

Edit:
And why didn't she just use her totem to figure out what was real and what wasn't?

28 DAYS LATER: Abraham Weiss ~ 3:10 TO YUMA: Dwight "Bud" Marlowe ~ CANADIAN DOMINATION: Lord Marshal Casder ~ COPS: Jamie Vance ~ CSI: Jesse Vance ~ D&D: Caliban Canivar ~ GUARDIAN SOCIETY: Salvo, Alpha Boy ~ ON THE FRONT: Pvt. Dominic Reardon ~ MEDIEVAL TIMES: Prince Johann ~ SPIES: Leroy Perlman ~ STAR ADVENTURE: WO Andre Lanter ~ STRANDED: Justin Vance ~ SUPERNATURAL: Rhett Van Sprang ~ TIMESPLITTERS: Spc. Jeremiah "Rookie" Vance ~ WILD LIFE: Rex

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Man, I love this movie!

I particularly like the subtle little things that during the first time you watch it you either don't understand, or miss entirely, like when the old man in the beginning stops reaching for his glass of wine when he sees the top, even though he didn't even flinch at the gun, or later when Cobb spins the top, cocks his gun, raises it next to his head, then uncocks it and puts it down when the top stops spinning and falls over.
I really loved the love story between Cobb and Mal. It was written so well.
I think I figured out what the hospital is, it's the fortress on the third level right? I didn't realize that the first time because it's the only building in the middle of nowhere, and that's not exactly the best spot to put a hospital.
And I'm pretty sure I understand how they pulled off inception now.

Christopher Nolan seems to be able to do almost anything. Great action, drama, humour, and at least two of the most utterly realistic movies I've ever seen (despite the fact that one of them is about a superhero, and the other about people who enter peoples' dreams to steal their secrets).

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
Nice new avatar!
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Thanks! :lol: :D

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Sorry for the double post, and I hope it's okay to post spoilers now, since the movie's been out more than three weeks at this point. If you still haven't seen it, just don't read any further.

I think I may have found a couple plot holes. Why didn't Saito and Fischer wake up when they fell off the mountain? That should've been a kick right? The same thing when Arthur fell down the hall after Yusuf drove the van off the bridge. And why was Saito older than Cobb? He went into limbo after Cobb did.

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
I think the kick has to be synced in the dream and also the layer above - either the dream-state above, or reality.

Are you sure Cobb enters limbo before Saito?
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't Saito stay behind to protect Fischer while Eames set the charges and Cobb and Ariadne went into limbo to find Fischer? I'm pretty sure after they do find him Cobb says something like "Saito should be dead by now, which means he's here. I have to stay behind and find him".

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Rylvan,Aug 22 2010
05:06 PM
< Doesn't find Amber Heard exceptionally pretty in this photo. ^_^ (I can't help imagining a scenario, where me and my girl are on a road trip, just the two of us, stopping at a Texas gas station in the middle of nowhere to fill up, and she's waiting for me to get back with the snacks I just bought. I'm walking to the car, and she's looking back at me, looking exactly like in this picture, and in that moment everything is perfect. Nothing matters outside our little world together. We're happy, and we have all the time we'll ever need.)

I just realized this post sounds a lot like Inception, like Mal and Cobb. Like the 'You're waiting for a train' riddle. Only, Cobb chose reality, whereas I choose the dream. :( "Because we'll be together."

Willem van Oranje
Member Avatar
Patriotic Canadian
Great movie. I especially enjoyed how easy it was to satire. I believe I saw a version on youtube with Dora the Explorer called Incepcion. It was high-larious!

Serviss
Member Avatar
Penalty Killer
I was so tripped out while watching It just got really confusing wasn't it like 3 or 4 dreams deep at the end?
Durr woke up early for his BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG race!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our Deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure

Success has been and continues to be defined,
As getting up one more time,
Then you’ve been knocked down.

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
Three dream levels, and then limbo. So yeah, four.

« Previous Topic · Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply