Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How'd you come to join nationstates; Howd you join, and stuff
Topic Started: Jun 21 2010, 01:44 AM (2,499 Views)
MrPopo
Member Avatar
All-Star
The purpose of this thread is to discuss how you heard of and came to join Nationstates, and why you chose the region of Canada. Whoa re some of the people who most shaped your experience in the region?

I was looking up militarily and polically charged games to play I think back in 2003 or 4 or something of the like. I was trying to find a flash game, maybe something with many users. I never found one. Instead I found a game called Earth 2025, which was phenomenal (I think at least). It had everything I wanted for a military game with many users. But I failed badly at it lol. Seems like the users who spent a lot of time or money on playing the game were the ones who got the top 10 coveted spots. If I even approached the top 1000 spots someone would come and beat me senseless with an unprovoked attack.

Anyhow long story short I also came across Nationstates. I didn't start actively. I found the proposal based system rather dry of action. But when I moved to Canada (I moved to this region because I actually live in Canada) I found the off site forum lively, entertaining, politically charged, with the potential for text roleplay (no RP forum or region map back then - those were created at a later date) , and a great place for discussion and debate. I also met some cool people here. Some I still talk to even though they no longer play.

The people who most shaped my experience as positive in this region in the beginning are:
-Checkers McDog
-Ess El Dee
-Carbanousa
-Bweezystan
-DP

There were a host of others as well such as OilersFan, KD, Boreal Tundra - too many to remember or even mention. But those are the top 5. Thanks guys, wherever you are!

That's my story. What's yours?
Society For The Liberation From The Dictatorial Ministry Of Donuts And Beer: SFTLFTDMODB, pronounced 'Sufto lofot domodab'.

Our Motto: "Take That, Mister!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pez201
Member Avatar
New and improved
I googled "nation states" looking for info for a uni tutorial on politics and found NS. I joined Europeia in July 2007. I was made an ambassador to Canada in February 2008. I liked Europeia, but it was always very political. I was the Prez there from July to September 2008 and grew to hate how political it was getting (though it's still a good region).

There's now only one region in NS I have anything to do with. :cananim:

People I remember (from Europeia):
- HEM
- Lethen
- Pineapleboy
- Danoboy
- Paleomiz

And those from Canada:
- Shay
- Ess
- JT
- jD
"I never said i was the first person..yesh. I admit Pez was the first one to throw a goat" - Fin
Leader of the Canadian Fat Whale Party from 21/5/08 - 29/8/09 and from 1/8/09 when his 48 hour brain fuzz cleared up. :D

Cowland5
Member Avatar
Baron de Pompous
I came across Jennifer Government a couple of years ago, and thought it was an excellent book. When looking up more about it online, I came across NationStates, and created the nation of Cowland5, which was based off of my normal internet username at the time, CowFreak5.

Initially I didn't respond to any of the recruitment telegrams I received, but when I was searching for a new region to join, I found Canada. I joined the forum on June 26, 2008, and at first I mostly stuck to the Water Cooler, avoiding politics and regional government. The community I found here is definitely the reason why I've stuck around for so long.

Eventually I did get sucked into government, starting off as DMoDB for a term before moving on to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and finally where I am today. :D

Oh, and about a year ago, I also joined a roleplay-based region, Renatia. However, Canada will always be my home. :)

From what I can remember, these people were active a lot when I first joined:
ParrrrTay
Ess
jD
JT
Nio
Pez

AND: It's my two-year NS anniversary this Saturday! :rockon:
Posted Image

Niongor
Member Avatar
Giver of the *Hi-5*
I can't remember how I came across NationStates, but I remember I first started it in the back end of 2006 with another nation and forgot all about it. When I came across it again in early 2007, I set up Niongor and moved to West Africa, but the place was dead.

I remember moving to Canada on a temporary basis, but once I got a personal welcome from the PM, got myself on the forum and got to know the people on here, I didn't need to look for an NS home.

There are too many people to name who shaped my experience here. Everybody leaves their mark, but I think a special mention is needed for:
Ess, for being a great friend on and off the forum;
Pez, because he's Pez(!!) and one of the best! No other reason needed;
Shay, for all the guidance and help;
and Kyle, again for friendship on and off the forum.

Also Ryl for all the RPing and spamming!

Cowland5,Jun 21 2010
08:43 PM
From what I can remember, these people were active a lot when I first joined:
ParrrrTay
Ess
jD
JT
Nio
Pez

Of those, I think only Pez is now a regular poster.
"There is no next time: it's now or never!"

Posted Image

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
My little brothers had been playing the game for a while before I joined, their nations were Simooooo and Self-Emptying Dog. Simooooo was into invading/defending and needed more nations to help secure a region. I think it was probably one of the big Northern Ireland wars back in 2003. He asked me to set up an account and endorse someone, hence my name being Disposablepuppetland.

I had no intention of getting into the game, but I had a look around anyway. I moved to England, where my brothers were, and I wasn't very impressed initially. I started a bit of trolling on the RMB, but accidentally got into an interesting discussion with Safalra, and ended up staying forever.

In the early days in England Safalra was always interesting. Leet, Yonkings, Sodoff, Stargatopia, Allandaros and Youngtung could always be relied upon for some good humour, and Adamsgrad was unintentionally hilarious.
I didn't initially like the old delegate, His Majesty, but later on when we built the second forum I got to know and like him much better.

On the second England forum there was some really good RP, with Rhanukhan, Glerica and Idiocracy.
Ithania and New Drakensberg Range were memorable as well, and also Bogans and Boozers from Australia.

Throughout that time there were regular visits and amusing exchanges with people from Canada. Parrrrtay, Ess, jD, Kana-da, King Girl, and others.
They were the reason I came here after England fell into inactivity.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

davislyvania
Member Avatar
You! Yes...YOU....
I saw a link about 5 years ago on a Halo fan forum, at which I was admin. So, I started two nations...this one, to run the way I'd really run a country, and Dikwittia, which was to be run exactly the opposite way. (Both prospered, which says little for NS's reliability).
I moved to The British Empire, which seemed a stable and well run region, where I gradually came to be Delegate/PM and started an offsite forum with InvisionFree. I still thought war was a possibility and created HMCS Bonaventure, but there was no call for it, and I let it die off.

Dikwittia was placed in a region called Terminal (named after a Halo mulitplayer map) and eventually abandoned.
A gradual decline in the quality of membership in TBE culminated in my leaving, and I wound up settling in Canada, which is my home country. So far, this is easily the superior region!

I haven't been here for a whole year yet, but I figure I'll be sticking around as long as I play NS.

Redundancies
Member Avatar
Cat Scratch Fever
I had an online friend who, like me, subscribed to the Jokeaday.com mailing list. She posted on their forums and there was one member who mentioned NS in a post - they got her interested, and she passed the interest on to a few others, including the denizens of a particular chat room that she and I both visited (Centre for the Easily Amused, now defunct). So us "Easily Amused" folks made a region bearing the same name.

At some point, that region fell apart and a couple of us made another region with "Easily Amused" in the title. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I remember the then-delegate got mad at me (it was a misunderstanding, we patched it up later) and ejected my nation from our region. Bweezy ended up recruiting me to Canada from the Rejected Realms the next day.

I was the most active around the same time that Popo was so I'll go with his list of Canadians...
Seeking to bring back the Ministry of Darkness

Cool points earned: 3

No TV and no beer make Homer something something.

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
I found NS on the recommendation of a friend, who knew I was interested in politics and RP games.

My original nation Mathom was born in the East Pacific. I hung around there for a while, but didn't get too involved. I mostly remember
Hoophoopland (who eventually CTE'd in Canada :( )
1 Infinite Loop - long serving delegate
Pakilvania - RPer, controller of the Hive.

I then moved to The Proletariat Coalition - a strong left-wing politics + defender community. I served there as a Judge, and as Ambassador to Canada. From there I particularly remember...
Blackbird - Legendary defender and diplomat.
Jacko - Delegate when I joined
Anarchtopia - voice of dissent
Dobbyniania - another agitator and reformist
Benevolent Kyle - the name fits
The Red Factiions - Very active in reforming the region.
+ many others.

As ambassador to Canada, I came to appreciate the wider range of opinions, the peculiar combination of common sense and sheer lunacy and the general canadianness of it all. From early days, of those who have left I particularly remember
Checkers McDog (then PM)
Kana Da - prolific poster
Judith Gap - A great and hard-working MoFA
Beaver County Canada - had trouble with the mods
Hudson Bay - ardent constitutionalist.

Many others (Carb, Ess, jD, Red, O-O, BT, Mr P, etc) are fortunately still with us.
There were a couple of very inventive RPers around then, but I'm afraid I can't recall their names.
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

MrPopo
Member Avatar
All-Star
Quote:

Kana Da - prolific poster
Judith Gap - A great and hard-working MoFA
Beaver County Canada - had trouble with the mods
Hudson Bay - ardent constitutionalist.

Ah I remember those folk!

I also remember Red.

And I think the very active list of RPers back in the day was:
-Rhinelandia
-Boreal Tundra
-C-Tonia
-Octo (I forget the last part of his name...I just called him Octo)

among others

I remember this, because I helped form the RP forums. Also handled the map and a website for the region back in the day. It's gone now, Geocities communities no longer exists.

Many have moved on. But yes, there are many of us still around, even after long absences. I wonder who else will come back and visit some day. I know Bweezystan was here not too long ago and left a few words. I always hoped people would make a nice little community of this forum. It's good for that. With the advent of Facebook it's almost a defunct form of communication but it still has it's usefulness.

I've never actually read Jennifer Government, or Syrup for that matter. Kudos to Max Berry for creating the website, but I dunno, just doesn't seem like the kind of stuff I would read. Think he ever trolls the forums?
Society For The Liberation From The Dictatorial Ministry Of Donuts And Beer: SFTLFTDMODB, pronounced 'Sufto lofot domodab'.

Kyleslavia
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
I stumbled across NationStates in 2003 when I was in 7th grade. During that time, I was gaining an interest in history, politics, and the various countries of the world. I was looking for a political simulation game and found NS through a Google search.

At first, I played solo and didn't pay attention to any other players in the game. I eventually expanded my horizons and started posting a lot on the NS forums. I was also able to get a friend to sign up for the game who played for about a year.

I gained an even greater interest in the game when I discovered that many regions had forums and an active community. I first joined a region known as Equlius, which was an offshoot of a larger region, Deus ex Machina, which was one of the largest regions in the game at one time. After a while, I became tired of the region because it was just too small. I mean, everyone in the region was a member of the government. Eventually, I left and joined a Greek themed region known as Dionysios. It was also very small, but I made a few good friends.

I came across Canada in 2006 or something like that, and joined the old forum. However, I never became active in the forum and just hopped around from region to region. In 2007, after a trip to RL Canada, I remembered the region and decided to join.

I've met so many great people here, especially during my more active days. Luckily, I keep in contact with most members through Facebook etc. Sadly, I'm a member of a few other forums, and they've consumed more of my time.
Come and visit Kylesburg City, please clicky!

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
I don't really remember how I joined NS either. I think I might have been reading about micronations and city-states out of curiosity when I googled 'nation states' and came across it. Either that or I was bored and, looking for something to do, searched for online browser games and found it that way. I'm pretty sure I found it on Wikipedia though. I dunno, it was two and a half years ago.

I'd been playing NS with multiple nations for probably a couple weeks before I created Rylvan and came to Canada, which is my home and native land. There wasn't a lot of activity when I first joined the board, since it was a couple days before Christmas and activity here always dies down during that time of year. I remember filling about three pages with high score replies in the Arcade while I waited for people to pop in and talk to. Someone called me Game Master Rylvan because of that. :P

The people who most influenced me here are my RP partners the land and Mir, and Water Cooler spam buddies Cow and Nio. I remember Nizhni Farandol, Rock-Onia, Old Ogastein, and Youngtung were still fairly active back then.
Chuck Norris Points: 2

28 DAYS LATER: Abraham Weiss ~ 3:10 TO YUMA: Dwight "Bud" Marlowe ~ CANADIAN DOMINATION: Lord Marshal Casder ~ COPS: Jamie Vance ~ CSI: Jesse Vance ~ D&D: Caliban Canivar ~ GUARDIAN SOCIETY: Salvo, Alpha Boy ~ ON THE FRONT: Pvt. Dominic Reardon ~ MEDIEVAL TIMES: Prince Johann ~ SPIES: Leroy Perlman ~ STAR ADVENTURE: WO Andre Lanter ~ STRANDED: Justin Vance ~ SUPERNATURAL: Rhett Van Sprang ~ TIMESPLITTERS: Spc. Jeremiah "Rookie" Vance ~ WILD LIFE: Rex

Fin
Member Avatar
Finie The Goalie
I first played NS in my early years in high school for a couple weeks...I think it was for a school project or something. I don't remember why or how. But I got bored and than maybe around sophomore jr. year in college, I played WOW for three-4 months of that got bored and got tired of wasting money. But I needed something to entertain me while I was doing nothing, something free, than I remembered NS. So I made ten nations, where one nation survived Vainamoinia aka Fin.

I ended up in Canada because Parrrtay TG me. So i was all "aight, I'll try it out." And I have stayed ever since 08. :D

Folks who has helped shape my experience in NS Canada
Ess-
JD-
Al-
Pez-
Ryl
Parrrtay
The Land
Omni

Anyone else? Can't think of anymore, sure theres a hell of a lot more...Love My Canada, it will always be my home

I remember more
Red
Kyle
Nio
DPL
Cow
Mir
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 21-Skwerl Salute for the Dizzy Twirling Hippy Chick!

Canada-Fin
Equinox-Hospitlar
AoQ-Hero

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
Worth stickying this topic?
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Omnivorous
Member Avatar
The AntiEss
Approaching five years... doesn't feel that long. Don't really remember much about finding NS, don't remember much from that period in total, it all went past in a haze of alcohol.

KG/TV, Carb, Defec, 420, Daemon, BCC, Bamada, Mav (and BP) stand out as well as others mentioned here (kana_da, Shay, Ess, jD, JG, Chex, etc.). I feel like a old fogie writing out this list. :(
# of Posted Image points: -2

Department of Immigration Member
Posted Image

MrPopo
Member Avatar
All-Star
I'd be down with a sticky.

Cowland5
Member Avatar
Baron de Pompous
Stickied. :fonz:
Posted Image

the land
Member Avatar
Just another mile
I joined the forum November 5th 2007...I believe it was shortly after I moved to the region. I joined NS because my brother showed it to me...he also got me to join the youth parliament I am a part of...I moved to Canada probably because I am from Canada in RL. I know I joined Canada right around the time when Shay became PM here.

The people who I remember from my early days where Shay, Ess, JD, AL, MIr, Cameron of Lochiel, OO, JT, Red, Fin and several others.

It's because of Ess, JD, Cameron, Mir and OO are responsible for getting into government, when all of them nominated me for MoDB. I have severed as either Minister or Deputy since Summer elections of '08 to the best of my knowledge.

others that came later that have impacted my stay here are Ry, Dpl, Pez, nio, and CIV....there are probably plenty of others both past and present that have influenced my time here.
You Don't Take Time out of Life for Music, You Take Time out of Music for Life~Unknown

Boreal Tundra
Member Avatar
MVP
Picked up Jennifer Government on the "Staff Recommended Reads" shelf at the library and the next day it and Nation States were a topic on a discussion group I was on. Checked it out and Boreal Tundra was born. Bounced around looking for interesting regions, dropped into Canada while looking for a good RP/Invasion region,... there weren't any, either you RP'd or you invaded.

Had a few friends playing as well and we started to set up our own RP when I became involved in a "minor" incident with MrPopo. As it escalated, I invited them to all get involved but, as luck would have it, their work schedules pulled them out. The taste however was enough for one to consider coming to Canada,... Shortly after that, one of them, Durass, would come to Canada as well.

Those who'd made a particular impression with me:
Bweezistan
Hudson Bay
Checkers McDog
Carbanosa
Posted Image

Shelter from the Storm
Member Avatar
Mayor of Taco Island
I got kidnapped and woke up naked, tied to a bed and blindfolded in a hotel in Toronto. Imagine the maid's surprise when she found me. After the RCMP released me, I had a look around Canada and applied in 10KI to be ambassador here.
__
Mayor of Taco Island Posted Image
Ambassador of 10000 Islands.
Posted Image Posted Image

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
:shifty: My ebil plan is a success.
Chuck Norris Points: 2

28 DAYS LATER: Abraham Weiss ~ 3:10 TO YUMA: Dwight "Bud" Marlowe ~ CANADIAN DOMINATION: Lord Marshal Casder ~ COPS: Jamie Vance ~ CSI: Jesse Vance ~ D&D: Caliban Canivar ~ GUARDIAN SOCIETY: Salvo, Alpha Boy ~ ON THE FRONT: Pvt. Dominic Reardon ~ MEDIEVAL TIMES: Prince Johann ~ SPIES: Leroy Perlman ~ STAR ADVENTURE: WO Andre Lanter ~ STRANDED: Justin Vance ~ SUPERNATURAL: Rhett Van Sprang ~ TIMESPLITTERS: Spc. Jeremiah "Rookie" Vance ~ WILD LIFE: Rex

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Standing Around the Water Cooler · Next Topic »
Add Reply