Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Keep On Trekkin! You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. In order to join in on community discussion and enjoy other member-only features, you must first register an account. Once your registration is complete, you will be able to continue your Trek here at KOT.

Click Here To Register and Join Our Community!

Please contact us HERE if you have any questions or you need assistance with your registration. Posted Image

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Terra Nova; ***Series/ Episode Spoilers***
Topic Started: Apr 21 2010, 04:36 PM (805 Views)
24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Trek vet will run Spielberg's sci-fi dinosaur TV show

Quote:

Brannon Braga—the former Star Trek producer who co-created ABC's FlashForward—has joined Steven Spielberg's upcoming prehistoric dinosaur drama Terra Nova for Fox as executive producer and show runner.

Meanwhile, Friday Night Lights and King Kong star Kyle Chandler is rumored to be in talks to take the lead role in the show.

Braga is also a producer of Fox's 24, which is in its last season.

The Braga news comes from Deadline Hollywood:

Star Trek veteran Brannon Braga has joined the upcoming Steven Spielberg/Peter Chernin pre-historic drama Terra Nova as executive producer/ showrunner. Though no deals have been finalized, with Braga on board, I hear the project has unofficially been given a 13-episode order and has started staffing. ...

Terra Nova follows a family from 100 years in the future who travel back in time 150 million years to prehistoric Earth ruled by dinosaurs. It was co-written by Craig Silverstein and British scribe Kelly Marcel, from an idea of Marcel's.

The Chandler news comes from Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello:

The actor has been made what one source describes as a "very lucrative offer" to headline Terra Nova, Fox's big budget pilot from producer Steven Spielberg and Peter Chernin.

**Series Spoilers/Discussion to follow...**
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Quote:

Terra Nova follows a family from 100 years in the future who travel back in time 150 million years to prehistoric Earth ruled by dinosaurs. It was co-written by Craig Silverstein and British scribe Kelly Marcel, from an idea of Marcel's.

This has been done to death. Its called "Land of the Lost" . :lol:

Speilberg project or not, I doubt this show will last long. Braga certainly won't be able to carry this show. He is barely keeping "FlashForward" together.

Swidden
Member Avatar
Professional Gadfly-at-large; Provisional wRench-fly at large

Yeah, I doubt that this will get far. But, hey, if it works at least Hollywood will have spawned a new take on all those pseudo-scientific theories about the origin of the human species...

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

12 things we know about Spielberg's Terra Nova TV series

Quote:

Posted Image

Fox just announced what could be one of the biggest sci-fi series in TV history, but they were maddeningly coy about any actual details. They told us it's from Steven Spielberg and it's got dinosaurs and time travel, but that's about it.

We did some more online investigating and came up with 12 good tidbits about the show. (And as soon as we find out more, we'll let you know!)

1. The production price? A cool $4 million an episode: "This thing is going to be huge. It's going to take an enormous production commitment," Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly told the press.

2. TV critic Todd VanDerWerff apparently managed to get his hands on a script. On May 18, he tweeted: "Read Terra Nova last night. Didn't feel like first episode of a TV show. Felt like first act of a movie. That said, features word Allosaurs."

3. Because of the huge per-episode price and maybe even the script, the traditional method of filming a pilot and then shutting down the production may well be skipped and the first 13 episodes filmed together, as it would be simply too expensive to shut down and then restart production.

4. From the press release: "The series centers on the Shannon family as they join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to TERRA NOVA, the first colony of humans in this second chance for civilization." The principals include father Jim, wife Elisabeth, young son Josh, teen daughter Maddy and a fellow named Commander Frank Taylor. Hmm, isn't that pretty much the character dynamic of Lost in Space, minus an effete scientist and a friendly robot? Well, maybe there will be a friendly allosaur.

5. Also: "...the Shannons have brought with them a familial secret that may threaten their citizenship in this utopia." Doesn't anyone screen time travelers anymore?

6. Why on Earth are people comparing this show to Avatar?

Posted Image

Oh yeah, that's why.

7. Other big wheels with a hand in the production include Brannon Braga (executive producer of 24 and longtime Star Trek scribe) as the show runner, David Fury (writer from Lost and Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Peter Chernin.

8. Chernin was Rupert Murdoch's right-hand man at Fox but left last year after two decades with News Corp. The New York Times reported earlier this month that Chernin was "assembling his own enterprise, a company of considerable ambition that will meld original content, like feature films and television series, with cutting-edge technologies that use the Web and other digital ways of delivering entertainment." A week later, Chernin Entertainment was announced as one of the forces behind Terra Nova. Can we look forward to webisodes, character blogs, easter eggs hidden all over the Internet and perhaps even an ARG? We'll let you know.

9. No major casting decisions have been made yet—Kyle Chandler and Kevin Bacon both turned down the lead. Whether this is due to script troubles or just an unwillingness to commit to a long TV project (Bacon has three more features to complete) remains to be seen.

10. Terra Nova is scheduled to come out midseason, but beyond that Fox is being cagey. "We don't want to tie it into a date. ... We want to do this show right," said Reilly.

11. Shooting will begin later this summer in Hawaii.

12. Terra Nova is based on an idea by Kelly Marcel, and the script was co-written by Craig Silverstein. Silverstein is a writer and producer with a sizable TV resume—he's worked on Bones and The Dead Zone. But Marcel? A few BBC pilots and scripts, including a musical stage version of Debbie Does Dallas. Her biggest hit to date was the rewrite for the underground sensation Bronson, a biopic of the infamous British prisoner Michael Gordon Peterson.

Swidden
Member Avatar

This has a big "wait and" sense to it in my opinion.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it harder and harder to get revved up for what TV throws at us in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Swidden
May 22 2010, 12:19 AM
This has a big "wait and" sense to it in my opinion.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it harder and harder to get revved up for what TV throws at us in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.
I'm just not jazzed up about the whole dinosaur thing. Its seems very outdated to me as far as fantasy/sci-fi concepts are concerned. Or maybe it is just overused. If the concept were fresh, then I could probably get on board a dinosaur related project.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

More Details On Spielberg’s Terra Nova

Quote:

Jason O’Mara (Life of Mars, U.S. version) is in talks to play the lead in Terra Nova.

A detailed plot summary of Terra Nova has been released:

“In the year 2149 the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped, overcrowded and overpolluted. With the majority of plant and animal life extinct, devotion to science has brought mankind to the brink of destruction, but has also provided its only hope for salvation. Knowing there is no way to reverse the damage to the planet, a coalition of scientists has managed to open up a fracture in the space-time continuum, creating a portal to prehistoric Earth. This doorway leads to an amazing world, one that allows for a last-ditch effort to save the human race … possibly changing the future by correcting the mistakes of the past.

“The series centers on the Shannon family as they join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony of humans in this second chance for civilization. Jim Shannon a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new land of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Jim’s wife, Elizabeth Shannon, is a trauma surgeon chosen through a global lottery as a new addition to Terra Nova’s medical team. Josh Shannon is their son, mourning the girl he left behind, as he’s torn between two role models – his father and the charismatic Commander Frank Taylor, the leader of the settlement, and the heroic first pioneer through the time portal. Maddy Shannon, Jim and Elizabeth’s teen daughter, is as independent and adventurous as her parents, but her distrust of authority soon leads her on a dangerous path.

“In addition to blue skies, rolling rivers, and lush vegetation, Terra Nova offers new opportunities and fresh beginnings to its recent arrivals, but the Shannons have brought with them a familial secret that may threaten their citizen ship in this utopia. Additionally these adventurers soon discover that this healthy, vibrant world is not as idyllic as it initially appears. The areas surrounding Terra Nova are filled with dangerous dinosaurs, and other prehistoric threats, as well as external forces that may be intent on destroying this new world before it begins.

“But perhaps even more threatening than what lies outside the protective walls is the Shannons’ realization that something sinister may be happening inside Terra Nova as not everyone on this mission has the same intentions of how to best save mankind.”

Swidden
Member Avatar

Okay, from the plot presented it sounds way over complicated. I'm all for depth, but frankly it reads like they are throwing all that can at it to see what sticks and resonates with the audience. Still, crossing fingers on this one...

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

^^For the main plot, I am finding it somewhat interesting.

The subplots could easily become complicated with the behind the scenes goings on. That is what will cause viewers to tune out if the writers don't keep the story tight.

Swidden
Member Avatar

I agree. Subplots are fine for developing character, but make them too complicated and viewers will think the writers don't have a real plan.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Braga Sole Terra Nova Writing Executive Producer

Quote:

Terra Nova, the Stephen Spielberg prehistoric dinosaur drama, has undergone an executive producer change.

David Fury (24, Lost) is leaving the series, due to “creative differences.” According to a source, Fury was “beloved by the producers on the show, but it just didn’t work out.”

Fury’s departure leaves Brannon Braga (Star Trek: The Next Enterprise, Voyager, Enterprise) as the sole writing executive producer for the series. Steven Spielberg and Peter Chernin are the show’s other executive producers.

Terra Nova will “follow a family from one hundred years in the future who travel back in time one hundred and fifty million years to prehistoric Earth ruled by dinosaurs.” Jason O’Mara will be playing Jim Shannon, the head of a family who has traveled back in time to these prehistoric times. Stephen Lang (Avatar) is in talks for the role of Frank Taylor, the “charismatic and ruthless leader” of the Terra Nova settlement.

Filming for the Terra Nova pilot will begin in Australia next month. The series is expected to launch in October 2011, with a preview to air in May of the same year. Fox has ordered thirteen episodes of the drama.

Not looking good.

Swidden
Member Avatar

Yeah, this is a scary development.

If there is one thing I have learned over the last several years from seeing some of the Trek writers and producers move on to other things it is that Braga was not the strongest player on the team. Ron Moore (BSG) and Manny Coto (24) have gone one to some very strong, well received projects. Braga's effort have been far more lack luster.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Swidden
Sep 14 2010, 11:24 PM
Yeah, this is a scary development.

If there is one thing I have learned over the last several years from seeing some of the Trek writers and producers move on to other things it is that Braga was not the strongest player on the team. Ron Moore (BSG) and Manny Coto (24) have gone one to some very strong, well received projects. Braga's effort have been far more lack luster.
Yep…and we saw how much better (IMO) ENT got when Braga took a step back and let Coto take the lead Season Four.

Swidden
Member Avatar

Looks like things are getting worse for this series.

Troubled "Terra Nova" Lays Off Writing Staff

Unless they really bang this out of the park story wise, it is starting to look like this show may D.O.A.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Swidden
Nov 4 2010, 07:27 PM
Looks like things are getting worse for this series.

Troubled "Terra Nova" Lays Off Writing Staff

Unless they really bang this out of the park story wise, it is starting to look like this show may D.O.A.
I think the show was a bit too ambitious anyway for a TV series. Spielberg is used to having a big budget for his productions.

Swidden
Member Avatar

I think that has been true of Spielberg's foray's into television. Look at "Amazing Stories" and "Earth 2".

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Latest on Terra Nova...

There are a lot of photos at the link below.

Terra Nova to Premiere on May 23 and 24

Quote:

New family adventure-drama series "Terra Nova" will preview during a special two-night event Monday, May 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Tuesday, May 24 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox. The show will then premiere in the fall.

An epic family adventure 85 million years in the making, "Terra Nova" follows an ordinary family embarking on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149 the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped, overcrowded and overpolluted. With no known way to reverse the damage to the planet, scientists discover a portal to prehistoric Earth. This doorway leads to an amazing world, one that allows for a last-ditch effort to save the human race... a second chance to rebuild civilization and get it right this time.

The series centers on the Shannon family as they join the Tenth Pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony established in this beautiful yet forbidding land led by its founder Commander Nathaniel Taylor (Stephen Lang, Avatar). Jim Shannon (Jason O'Mara, "Life on Mars"), a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family – wife Elisabeth (Shelley Conn, "Mistresses"); and children Josh (Landon Liboiron, "Degrassi: The Next Generation"), Maddy (Naomi Scott, "Life Bites") and Zoe (newcomer Alana Mansour) – through this new land of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. In addition to blue skies, towering waterfalls and lush vegetation, Terra Nova offers new opportunities and fresh beginnings to its recent arrivals, but the Shannons have brought with them a familial secret that may threaten their citizenship in this utopia. These adventurers soon discover that this healthy, vibrant world is not as idyllic as it initially appears. The areas surrounding Terra Nova are teeming with danger – and not just of the man-eating dinosaur variety. The Shannons will come to suspect that not everyone on this mission has the same idea of how to best save mankind; in fact, there may be forces intent on destroying this new world before it even begins.

"Terra Nova" is produced by 20th Century Fox Television, Chernin Entertainment, DreamWorks Television and Kapital Entertainment. Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, Brannon Braga, René Echevarria, Jon Cassar, Aaron Kaplan, Katherine Pope, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Craig Silverstein and Kelly Marcel serve as executive producers. Alex Graves serves as executive producer and directed the series preview.

I'm really starting to get an "Avatar" vibe from this show. That may or may not be a good thing.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Fox cans plan to premiere Spielberg's Terra Nova in May

snippet

Fox has pushed back plans to air its ambitious upcoming time-traveling, dinosaur-filled series Terra Nova in May, and the two-hour premiere will now air in fall with the rest of the episodes, the network announced on Friday.

Fox had previously planned on giving us a taste of the Steven Spielberg-produced Terra Nova on May 23 and 24, with the full series premiering in the fall. That plan changed. "The cutting-edge visual effects used to create the world of Terra Nova, which is of massive scope and scale, require more time to be realized," said Fox's president of entertainment, Kevin Reilly.

This is actually a good idea. If they air the two hour premiere before the summer, most people will have already moved on to something else when it returns in the Fall. Best to air them all together IMO.

Swidden
Member Avatar

The plus is that it will be out when everyone is sampling new shows. The minus is: It will be out when everyone is sampling new shows.

Frankly, this show needs to hit the ground running and grab viewers. Spielberg has not done that well with television in that regard. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one and hoping it turns out to be good.

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar

Going through Spielberg's credit list, I can't say that I've seen a lot of his TV work.

But, I agree with you that they need to "hit the ground running" on this show. If they separate it or have long breaks, then "you" can probably say bye bye to it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Fiction · Next Topic »
Add Reply

DISCLAIMER (Click and Scroll to read): Keep On Trekkin’ is a Science Fiction discussion community. We are not officially associated with, or endorsed by, Paramount Pictures Corporation, CBS Studios Inc. or Viacom Inc. Star Trek®, in all its various forms, is a registered trademark of Paramount Pictures Corporation (CBS/Paramount Television and CBS Studios Inc.). Any Star Trek® image used at this website will be for decorative or informational purposes only. Star Trek artwork 2008 PARAMOUNT PICTURES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective holders. All themes used here at Keep On Trekkin' (unless otherwise notated on the theme) were created by 24thcenstfan. Special thanks to everyone who has provided emoticons, graphics and other services used for the creation of this website. Opinions expressed by the membership here at Keep On Trekkin’ do not reflect those of the Administrator of this Board or ZetaBoards.