Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Exterminatus Now. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Thread For Games Without Their Own Thread
Topic Started: Feb 12 2013, 04:54 PM (16,434 Views)
Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
You've done some terrible things, Mister Harry
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just a continuation of the original. Although if you get more than a couple of posts on a single game, maybe start up a topic for it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
The second in a trilogy is always the best. DO NOT DISAPPOINT, THREAD

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Pixellated,Feb 12 2013
07:55 PM

Indiana Jones.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Everything's great at your Junes.
Eastwood,Feb 12 2013
09:54 PM
Pixellated,Feb 12 2013
07:55 PM

Indiana Jones.

Is it because of that kid?

Racist. :P

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Like hell. Short Round was the best part of that film. But this is film. Not games.

Korvaz
Member Avatar
Overwatch
Hostile waters.

It hasn't been on GoG for a while. Was pulled due to some saber rattling by some arse, but it's back again.

Rage software's swansong, a beautiful game, similar to carrier command. Warren Ellis provided some writing for it, and Tom Baker some wonderful narration. It plays well, any Pc today will run it percectly, and for the money, you can't go wrong.

Either command units directly, or let the chip contained minds of dead soldiers take vehicles, and defend the world from a hammy villain and their mad science, across a number of rather weird islands. My description won't do it justice, but it has a boatload of positive reviews that will all speak highly of it, too. If you've got some spare time and a few quid, grab it.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
10,000,000 (Steam, iOS) is a lovely way to spend your time. Quick explanation: your guy is running a dungeon on the top part of the screen, and on the bottom half, you're doing Match 3 (with Chuzzle mechanics rather than Bejeweled) to make him perform actions. Match three keys to open doors and chests, match swords to do physical attacks, staffs to do magic attacks, and then wood/stone to collect resources which you can use to unlock extras back at your home. Keep running the dungeon and you get better and better stuff to use, as well as unlocking perks and potions until you can get 10,000,000 points in one run.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Korvaz,Feb 12 2013
10:11 PM
Hostile waters.

It hasn't been on GoG for a while. Was pulled due to some saber rattling by some arse, but it's back again.

Rage software's swansong, a beautiful game, similar to carrier command. Warren Ellis provided some writing for it, and Tom Baker some wonderful narration. It plays well, any Pc today will run it percectly, and for the money, you can't go wrong.

Either command units directly, or let the chip contained minds of dead soldiers take vehicles, and defend the world from a hammy villain and their mad science, across a number of rather weird islands. My description won't do it justice, but it has a boatload of positive reviews that will all speak highly of it, too. If you've got some spare time and a few quid, grab it.

You know I was just researching about that earlier today when looking about for sci-fi marine games.

*puts on wishlist.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
System Shock 2 is being released on GoG.Com. For $9.99 US.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Eastwood,Feb 13 2013
06:40 PM

Also on Steam a bit later. For those not in the know, this was created by Irrational, who went on to create Bioshock. It's got a great story, excellent game feel and a good level of horror to it.

dragonsteincole
Member Avatar
Problem, sport?
I remember playing it eons ago, can't remember much from it apart from it being damn atmospheric, and some skill-choosing part at the beginning that I probably was completely oblivious to it's purpose. In the sense of just choosing whatever, and not min-maxing the fuck out of it.

Can't wait.

Silversword
Member Avatar
your soul is mine
I think my patrat instincts have never let me remove my original install of System Shock 2, because it was that damned good.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
If you own RAGE on Steam, you may have ended up with a copy of Auditorium in your library. No-one seems to know why?

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Pixellated,Feb 13 2013
10:12 PM
Eastwood,Feb 13 2013
06:40 PM

Also on Steam a bit later. For those not in the know, this was created by Irrational, who went on to create Bioshock. It's got a great story, excellent game feel and a good level of horror to it.

But the GoG edition is deliciously DRM-free (Even if Steam is barely DRM) and comes loaded with tons of extras, like design documents, the soundtrack, concept art, and everything else you'd want if you were an obsessive-compulsive hoarder.

Lothar Hex
Member Avatar
Illogical
So I guess people have been following the stories of Aliens: Colonial Marines and the shoddy nature of it. There's something even better now! On the 360 version the game does not actually create a save file, but actually saves it your 360's cache! If you clear your cache (which I am one to do for HD maintenance every so often) there goes your save!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/15/3992728/a...mes-being-wiped

This along with the shoddy nature of the game, and Randy Pitchford blocking people from his twitter who say he's a liar is doing a bit of damage to Gearbox it seems. And in fairness he kinda of is, accidentally maybe, since entire sections of the game were removed from the demos he presented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGXDM3LGnk...layer_embedded#!

Though he claims he isn't because "No one likes to be called a liar, especially if their intent was pure and they always spoke the truth when they spoke it."
I like Borderlands 2 and the amount of polish that went in to that game is great, but it seems it was to the detriment of Aliens.

Well, the game is coming from Lovefilm for me (forgot it was on my list) so I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how bad it is. Can't be as bad as Duke Nukem Forever...which was also heavily promoted by Gearbox...right?

I'm starting to think Gearbox aren't as good at developing games as they think they are, Borderlands 2 aside.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Lothar Hex,Feb 16 2013
08:09 AM
I'm starting to think Gearbox aren't as good at developing games as they think they are, Borderlands 2 aside.

Borderlands 2 was developed solely in-house by Gearbox, whereas Colonial Marines had to be outsourced back and forth between several companies for almost six years (don't have time just now to link to the articles I've read, pretty easy to Google), so I don't really blame Gearbox too much for this, same as for why Duke Nukem Forever was a bit mediocre: their role on both games towards the end of the development cycle has been stitching together mislaid stuff from other studios. I'm hoping with Borderlands 2's success that this will get funding more easily cleared for them as a studio to work on their sole-developed stuff.

Sabre_Justice
Member Avatar
Ask me about very angry cats
Was gonna say, I was kinda surprised hearing this game was just released, I thought it'd been out for years.

Generally a game in development that long, especially of a stock genre like FPS, rarely turns out well, if only because it's inevitably dated by the time it's released.

Lothar Hex
Member Avatar
Illogical
Pixellated,Feb 16 2013
10:08 AM
Borderlands 2 was developed solely in-house by Gearbox, whereas Colonial Marines had to be outsourced back and forth between several companies for almost six years (don't have time just now to link to the articles I've read, pretty easy to Google), so I don't really blame Gearbox too much for this, same as for why Duke Nukem Forever was a bit mediocre: their role on both games towards the end of the development cycle has been stitching together mislaid stuff from other studios. I'm hoping with Borderlands 2's success that this will get funding more easily cleared for them as a studio to work on their sole-developed stuff.

I am aware of this, and yes Duke Nukem Forever was not their fault aside from releasing it ;), but with Aliens it is less clear. One of the developers (Timegate I believe) has played through the game and had a hard time finding any of their work. And quite frankly all parties involved keep saying they were only responsible for X percent so it is hard to know who to believe. Ultimately though, Gearbox was the developer in charge so I think they have more than their fair share of blame and I think it has damaged the brand a little.

Sabre_Justice
Member Avatar
Ask me about very angry cats
I think by the sounds of it, it's likely a case of too many cooks. Or well, a game that's passed between that many different developers isn't likely to end well no matter who the developers are, since it's inevitably gonna be a mess from all the different visions and styles and stuff stitched together in the end.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Question becomes whats next for the franchise. We know Creative Assembly are working on something Alien related but apart from that we don't know what kind of game it is. And given the general disappointment of Prometheus I doubt we'll see anything spinoff from that period of story either.

Retrogamer!
Member Avatar
IT'S HERESY
Alien can be solved in the gaming world with one word to describe how it should play.

Amnesia.

HunteRS
Member Avatar
Power is all that is needed.
Retrogamer!,Feb 17 2013
01:11 PM
Alien can be solved in the gaming world with one word to describe how it should play.

Amnesia.

Yes-after playing one should instantly induce Amnesia by blunt force trauma to the head, so that the horrible sights cannot be recalled.

Just tried playing FF12.
I want to like it. I do. The plot seems interesting and the characters aren't as excruciating as 10 or 13 but...that system man. That fucking battle system...

Noir The Sable
Member Avatar
So shocking!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Picked up Sly: Thieves in Time a little bit ago, while it was on sale at Gamestop ($20 off within a week of release? This doesn't bode well...)

First impressions: thought it was a pretty solid continuation of the trilogy so far. I'm kind of glad that Sanzaru decided to move away from the "voguing" pose-to-pose animations of the second and third installments, and the "Rare Starfox" fuzziness that Sly took on during the crossover games. It was all quite easy to get back into, with most of the old mechanics still in place, and much of the newer mechanics were quite fun to play with (like the hacking minigames) and added a new enjoyable spin. It kind of feels like more could've been done to expand the whole "playing as Sly's ancestors" bit aside from one gimmick and a few attacks, but eh. The levels are still vast and pretty, there's loads of exploration to do, and the enemies are well-designed enough that you can't help but feel a little sorry for the character artists since the most you see of them are from the back.

It's not free of issues, of course -- odd and somewhat unwieldy camera makes a return, for a start. Also, it feels like the levels are a lot shorter than they used to be (so far, at least). In 3, each level comprised of Act 1, Act 2, a major heist/mission, and then a fight with the BBEG. Having gone through the Tokugawan Japan level, it seems like it's just one long act followed by the big baddie boss fight. Some changes were made to Bentley's bomb system as well, which make it a tad more annoying to use now that my muscle memory had been set in from Sly 3. And the need to go around grinding for coins has drastically dropped, now that pickpocketed special items net a much larger profit while the folks at ThiefNet are apparently unaware of the concept of "inflation". I'm also not quite a fan of what Sanzaru did with Penelope between Sly 3 and Sly 4, but then again, after the Geisha house level, I think it's pretty obvious that there were at least one or two furries in the Sanzaru art department.

But otherwise, it's a really good game, and Sanzaru did a good job of bringing it back.

Master Shake
Member Avatar
Scootaloo! We have to cook!
Two part thing: Metal Gear Rising is the game my inner 13-year-old has been waiting for his whole life. Every five minutes, the game feels like this.

Game: "Hey, wouldn't it be totally awesome if *spoiler*?"
Inner 13-year-old: "Hell yeah!" *high-five*

Just crazy compounded on crazy. I also love how the Codec conversations are pure-Metal Gear, filled with pseudo-science, philosophy, humor, cultural differences, location information. And the best part is, it's 95% voluntary. You have to manually go into the codec (it's never required except for a few walk-and-talk sections) and call the people for the long conversations.

Also, Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC (Reckoning) next Tuesday, Single Player (Citadel) the week after.

The new classes (female Turian, EDI-style bot) are good, but the standout is the Geth Juggernaut. Goddamn thing's Prime-sized.

Tweets from the developers indicate that Robin Sachs (Zaeed) put in some voice work for the single player DLC, so hearing him for the final time will be a kick in the feels.

Speaking of Zaeed, the operation this weekend is called Tribute and it involves using your Avenger (Jessie) and Inferno Grenades. Anyone else planning on being the only one that made it out alive this weekend?

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Please note, ME3 discussion around the multiplayer is fine and dandy. Discussion about the single player campaign will be ruthlessly purged. Bitching about the ruthless purging will be ruthlessly purged and result in mandatory vacations from the forum. First, last, and only warning.

This is because of the shitstorm the last topic ended in. I don't have the time, paitence or inclination to deal with that again.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Arena · Next Topic »
Add Reply