Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Exterminatus Now. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GW Annual Price Rise; It's that time again
Topic Started: May 30 2012, 09:00 AM (500 Views)
Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
You've done some terrible things, Mister Harry
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On the 4th of June we've yet another price rise.

The UK prices:
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/images/newsl...12pricerise.pdf

The US$ and prices, along with full lists including percentile increases, can be found on the likes of Warseer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
But cheap plastic moulds cost a lot of money to make!

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Feldoon,May 30 2012
10:20 AM
But cheap plastic moulds cost a lot of money to make!

To be fair, steel moulds do cost a fair bit of initial outlay. But for some reason those who have been paid off are still going up.

The rubber moulds used for resin, however, are dirt cheap, as is the material used. Throw in abysmal casting quality and I'm left astounded as to how they can charge what they do for resin models.

Silversword
Member Avatar
your soul is mine
Because nothing else says love for your customer base like trying to gouge them further.
I was expecting a bigger blanket increase on the range though. Not everything seems to have gone up.

HunteRS
Member Avatar
Power is all that is needed.
And I'd been considering Newcrons too
Ah well.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Silversword,May 30 2012
04:15 PM
Because nothing else says love for your customer base like trying to gouge them further.
I was expecting a bigger blanket increase on the range though. Not everything seems to have gone up.

It alternates. Core choices went up last year. This year we get to pay 35 (!) for a Predator.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
The time to invest in a 3D printer is now.

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
Pixellated,May 30 2012
06:40 PM
The time to invest in a 3D printer is now.

When it's infinitely cheaper to buy a printer and print your own models, GW is absolutely fucked.

Okay, I lie, it won't be. However it will make their products infinitely more accessible and will either make them pull their gestalt head out of whatever dark hole it's been shoved into or stir them into trying their best to crack down on piracy. Because that's always successful.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Feldoon,May 30 2012
07:31 PM
Okay, I lie, it won't be. However it will make their products infinitely more accessible and will either make them pull their gestalt head out of whatever dark hole it's been shoved into or stir them into trying their best to crack down on piracy. Because that's always successful.

So, vague attempts at cracking down on piracy. They've already done that with 3D models already.

3D printers are not quite there yet, either with quality or price. In five to ten years, though? It's going to be huge for the wargaming market. Huge. Then again, same with Kickstarter and other crowdsourcing sites.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Everything's great at your Junes.
I suppose I can be glad that I can enjoy the 40k universe in other mediums really, cause I can't imagine it will be cheap to get started in the model area anytime soon.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Jeffk38uk,May 30 2012
09:13 PM
I suppose I can be glad that I can enjoy the 40k universe in other mediums really, cause I can't imagine it will be cheap to get started in the model area anytime soon.

Assuming the 6th Edition rulebook will be 45(!), starting most armies will be more than a little expensive...

Core Rules 45
Codex: Space Marines 20
Commander 14
Tactical Squad x 2 46

So for the most basic legal army, 125. That'd weigh in at about 500 points, and the average game is anywhere between 1500 and 2000 a-side. The biggest problem is of course, the rulebooks, and whilst you can usually make a saving with the starter sets, it's only hugely useful if there's a side you want to play. Want to start with Tau, Eldar or Imperial Guard? You're out of luck. Word is the next starter box will be Dark Angels vs. Chaos, so I hope you like Space Marines.

Assault on Black Reach is good value, but will be vanishing soon. In any case, for a fully-legal Space Marine army you'd still need to buy another squad of Space Marines, and you'd still need the Codex.

Compare to Warmachine (A game, I will admit, I cannot stand), which is growing in popularity, whose starter set contains the full rules (Which are free online), the rules for the units (Which are usually included with the models, or in collected books if you want), and two decent legal forces for 70 RRP. Again, you are at the mercy of whether or not you want the starter factions.

Or Dystopian Wars. Any two full starter fleets and the core rules for 73. Take your pick. Every side is fucking gorgeous.

Or Mantic. Warpath's starter is 50 RRP and includes 57 models (Including a trike and siege cannon) and Kings of War includes 97 models (Including two artillery pieces). Again, downside is you're at the mercy of the choice of models, but I will say the Undead are brilliant.

csadn
Member Avatar
Sharkopathic
Eastwood,May 31 2012
06:59 PM
Assuming the 6th Edition rulebook will be 45(!), starting most armies will be more than a little expensive...

Now y'all know *why* it's called "Warhammer 40,000" -- that's how much it costs to build even a basic force....
Eastwood,May 31 2012
06:59 PM
Compare to Warmachine [...]
Or Dystopian Wars. [...]
Or Mantic. [....]

Now, *here's* a company which understands the "razor-blade" miniature-sales model:

http://www.gordonandhague.com/wargame-severed-union.cfm

The *rulebook* is free; it's the *minis* where "da *real* money from gaming is made!" [paraphrasing Yogurt from _Spaceballs_]

Sabre_Justice
Member Avatar
Ask me about very angry cats
Yeah, I thought GW's business model was to ignore the most hardcore market who'll pay any price for their plastic fix and go all lowest common denominator. Especially since the economy is still considered to be in the gutter. What happens when fanboys take over a company I guess.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Sabre_Justice,Jun 1 2012
02:25 AM
What happens when fanboys take over a company I guess.

Fanboys? Hardly. They're businessmen, pure and simple. Prices will keep rising until profits drop. At the moment they've been stable for the last few years, whilst sales have shrunk. Increases in price and royalties from use of their IP have helped keep the company going, but this cannot last forever. Sooner or later price rises will not be able to cover the drop in sales. That being said and done, the company is still turning a healthy profit.

csadn,May 31 2012
10:01 PM
The *rulebook* is free; it's the *minis* where "da *real* money from gaming is made!" [paraphrasing Yogurt from _Spaceballs_]

As I said, Warmachine/Hordes provides the core rules for free, and every model has the relevant rules on a card in box/blister. Mantic have the entire set of rules for free on their website. Malifaux offers the rules for free, and like WarmaHordes, the models have the rules for units. Infinity offer the rules for the entire game for free.

Whilst I don't begrude companies charging for rulebooks, I still wish more offered a basic PDF version, if only to get a feel for a game. But when the rulebook may only cost 10-15, it's a lot more palatable. Certainly more than paying between 35 and 50.

Sabre_Justice
Member Avatar
It could go either way though- lazy businessmen might be all about raising prices to the breaking point until it starts to affect their profits, ignoring the effects of different parts of their business model, but I'd associate that level of business sense just as much with nerds, who tend to be terrible with economics as a rule. Comic books have done the same thing, priced themselves out of their traditional markets because the management doesn't know better, and Warhammer is just old enough that a generation of fanboys have had the time to rise to the top. I'm probably wrong though.

I don't think GW has an unsustainable business model, but the problem is they're not sticking to it. You can't raise prices on niche luxury products during turbulent economic times, when you have lots of rising competitors, and expect to see easy money from any market sector.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
I can tell you now Sabre, the people running the show aren't clueless fanboy nerds. The Studio might be full of people who grew up on GW wargames, but the Studio is pretty low on the totem-pole of the company. Those who actually make decisions are well above their heads.

The big problem is that the comapny sees themselves as producing a premium product, and as such, charges a premium price. Which isn't the case. Other manufacturers can make far better models, others can write far better rules. What GW has above it's opposition is it's IP. Remove that and you have a fairly clunky wargame that's poorly balanced, and an incredibly expensive line of models.

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
Eastwood,Jun 1 2012
09:30 AM
The big problem is that the comapny sees themselves as producing a premium product, and as such, charges a premium price. Which isn't the case. Other manufacturers can make far better models, others can write far better rules. What GW has above it's opposition is it's IP. Remove that and you have a fairly clunky wargame that's poorly balanced, and an incredibly expensive line of models.

Aye. Games Workshop as an incredible market penetration given that most cities and larger towns have Games Workshop brick-and-mortars that give the entire range of lines a more obvious identity. It also gives people who are into wargames somewhere to conglomerate easily on the condition the models they use and the games they play are GW-branded.

Unless they end up raising their prices to the point they bankrupt themselves, the only real method to end the social monopoly they have going on is to establish a chain of stores that sell a range of miniatures and promote social events regularly.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Everything's great at your Junes.
That or more licensed products, which is unlikely to happen.

Star Wars 40k

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Feldoon,Jun 1 2012
09:35 AM
Unless they end up raising their prices to the point they bankrupt themselves, the only real method to end the social monopoly they have going on is to establish a chain of stores that sell a range of miniatures and promote social events regularly.

To be fair, beyond pricing themselves out of the reach of new starters and alienating long-term customers, the shops are their biggest cost by far. They are not cheap in the slightest, and they account for why the prices are so high. This is bad enough in the UK if you don't play in a GW store (As a lot of people don't), but outside the UK? You have gamers who have never gotten as close as a hundred miles to an official branch paying to keep them going.

Jeffk38uk,Jun 1 2012
09:38 AM
That or more licensed products, which is unlikely to happen.

Star Wars 40k

Despite them making an absolute fortune on Lord of the Rings (And what they're banking on The Hobbit doing), apparently the hopps they need to leap through for licenses like that is insane. Coupled with the possibility it could cannibalise sales from other ranges, it's unlikely Games Workshop will persue another licensed property.

Interestingly, Fantasy Flight Games, who has the rights to publish the WHFB and 40k RPGs (WHFRP, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, whatever the Imperial Guard one is called, and the numerous boardgames like Chaos in the Old World) also is the current holder of the Star Wars license.

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
Eastwood,Jun 1 2012
10:56 AM
Feldoon,Jun 1 2012
09:35 AM

To be fair, beyond pricing themselves out of the reach of new starters and alienating long-term customers, the shops are their biggest cost by far. They are not cheap in the slightest, and they account for why the prices are so high. This is bad enough in the UK if you don't play in a GW store (As a lot of people don't), but outside the UK? You have gamers who have never gotten as close as a hundred miles to an official branch paying to keep them going.

Which is why it's a bit of a shit move that the shop is intrinsically linked to the brand. If it were more a generic games/miniatures store it would undoubtedly pull in some more punters due to the existence of cheaper competition and wider appeal.

Splitting the store chain from the GW proper would be one of the strategies I would look into if I were suddenly faced with looming bankruptcy. And then get somebody who understands visual appeal in stores to make them look less like a rape dungeon. The aesthetics do nothing to pull in new punters, save for the strange people who have yet to grow out of the excessive emphasis on black.

Sabre_Justice
Member Avatar
The local GW actually switched from a somewhat intimidating aesthetic to a sleeker grey and glass setup, it's pretty stylish. Is that not standard?

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Sabre_Justice,Jun 1 2012
01:52 PM
The local GW actually switched from a somewhat intimidating aesthetic to a sleeker grey and glass setup, it's pretty stylish. Is that not standard?

Yeah, most of the ones I've visited are quite open and clean. Certainly better than their independent counterparts, for the most part.

Sabre_Justice
Member Avatar
Nerd stores in general being dank, dusty dubious dungeons is a pretty common problem. A lot of the places in my city have totally changed that though, the local Japan import store (anime, manga, merchandise) transformed from exactly what you'd imagine it looking like to an amazingly sleek place with tiled floors, big glass display cases, carefully organised merch and all. Looks like an Apple store except with actual shit people want to buy all over the place.

Hercule Pyro
Member Avatar
Sabre_Justice,Jun 1 2012
03:23 PM
Nerd stores in general being dank, dusty dubious dungeons is a pretty common problem.

Which is one of the big reason why the comic book industry is in the shitter.

The other is the contents of most comics, but that's another topic for another time.

csadn
Member Avatar
Sharkopathic
Eastwood,Jun 1 2012
07:45 AM
As I said, Warmachine/Hordes provides the core rules for free, and every model has the relevant rules on a card in box/blister. Mantic have the entire set of rules for free on their website. Malifaux offers the rules for free, and like WarmaHordes, the models have the rules for units. Infinity offer the rules for the entire game for free.

Indeed, you did -- apologies for the repeat. Up here (Oregon, USA), I can't say as I've ever seen any of those games you mention on shelves; in fact, of the ones you list, I've only heard of one of them (_Warmachine_; tho' I have seen some _Dystopian Wars_ stuff at the local gaming con, I don't know if that was specially-ordered).

As to gaming shops, appearance of: The one nearest my house took advantage of the collapse of Borders book stores -- they walked into the nearest one, and said, "We'd like that entire corner of shelving, thanks". Used to be, the shelving was cheapass wire-frame stuff; now it's stained wood with leather accents.

One phenomenon I've noticed with the local game store is: Most of them seem to be altering to a "shop/clubhouse" model -- up front, there's products on shelves; but in the back, there's lots of tables, a place to buy food, sometimes hookups for online gaming... hell, even the toilets are kept clean and functional, which if you know the diet of the typical gamer is a fucking miracle. :)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dark Millenium · Next Topic »
Add Reply