Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Exterminatus Now. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Project Pok3Dex; One-hour 3D modelling challenges
Topic Started: May 12 2012, 01:43 PM (768 Views)
Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

I'd been looking for something for a good while to get me using Cinema 4D regularly outside of work, and not in the "do hundreds of online tutorials" capacity, and this is it. I'm going to be modelling each and every Pokemon, starting with the first generation.

The catch is that I'm putting a hard limit of a *single hour* on the creation time for each model: hopefully this will be able to give some sort of metering, and I can chart my skill progress as I go along by checking how detailed the models are. There might be a few anomalies which will skew the experiment, but at the end of the day I'm doing this half and half for fun and education.

So, here's the first, in both senses of the word; tell me what you think. Nine-year-old me would love it.

Twenty-one-year old me does as well.

Bump: And another.

HE'S A FIRE STARTER

TWISTED FIRE STARTER
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kaempfer
Member Avatar
Boop beep boop
For only taking an hour, the Bulbasaur looks damn good. The only things that look overtly off to me are that the legs look a little too slender. The Charmander looks farther off, but still pretty good for only an hour. Lookin' forward to seeing more of this.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Kaempfer,May 13 2012
01:55 AM
For only taking an hour, the Bulbasaur looks damn good. The only things that look overtly off to me are that the legs look a little too slender. The Charmander looks farther off, but still pretty good for only an hour. Lookin' forward to seeing more of this.

Thanks man, and yeah; one of the things which will really help me in these is getting proper references I can lay over while modelling. Here's my ref sheet for Bulbasaur: perhaps in future I should be preparing something like this with a properly scaled Right/Front/Top views I can go against.

Bump for Squirtle

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
All of the polygons.

Silversword
Member Avatar
your soul is mine
Quote:

I had some decent references this time so everything is in place and in proportion.

I've gotta say, it looks kinda weird. Like the head is a bit squished?

The others do well though. And for stuff done in an hour? Damn your eyes, good sir. :P

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Feldoon,May 17 2012
12:41 AM
All of the polygons.

Current base poly counts are actually pretty low (and thanks for reminding me for something else to document, added it to the sheet):

Bulbasaur: 1028
Charmander: 1171
Squirtle: 711

To put those in perspective, they're currently at a similar count to the Sniper at the lowest quality you can set TF2's graphics at (1011). His highest is 6634.

It's due to me designing these immediately just from a cube primitive and extruding/modelling outwards rather than importing splines and adding thickness to those (which would generate hundreds of little points along curves. Also avoiding Boole objects.

See here the base model for Bulbasaur before I add any smoothing for the final render.

Posted Image

Silv

I've gotta say, it looks kinda weird. Like the head is a bit squished?

Yeah, I looked him up on Bulbapedia to make sure he hadn't become a dual-type (for the Tumblr post tags), and he looks a lot cuter in more recent official artwork. Turns out they've edited proportions since the first season of the anime, in which they were properly fat. Here's the image I had overlaid on the front viewport to check proportions, and it matches. Might try and find references from the later series, but it's harder to find Kanto Pokemon the further away you get from Gen1 anime.

Posted Image

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
Base polycounts being low, sure. But then you smooth the shit out of it and it goes through the roof.

Although looking at the quads on that Bulbasaur's ears makes me wince. The edges aren't properly placed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to detract from your work. I'm just trying to point out what I see as flaws in the hope that it enables you to critically review what you do and get better. Because I care.

Kaempfer
Member Avatar
Boop beep boop
Yeah Squirtle is probably the farthest off model, but it almost looks like an abstraction of Squirtle. Almost like a Native American carving. I quite like it.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Good news on the references front; I found out that Pokemon Stadium has a 3D Pokedex inside of it. Found a Gameshark code for Pokemon Yellow which completes the Pokedex, and then found a plugin which allows you to emulate a Transfer Pak inside of Project64, and now I have a whole library of models I can take Right/Front reference shots from:

Posted Image

Silversword
Member Avatar
your soul is mine
The biggest downside I can think to that is that some of the models in Stadium were a bit wank :P
Still, at least it's consistant.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Silversword,May 19 2012
09:42 PM
The biggest downside I can think to that is that some of the models in Stadium were a bit wank :P
Still, at least it's consistant.

Yeah, but they'll at least be in proportion. Detail seems to be a luxury in the hour I set myself.

Feldoon
Member Avatar
DYEL
Pixellated,May 19 2012
09:35 PM
now I have a whole library of models I can take Right/Front reference shots fromentirely rip the topology off of and then dump twenty thousand smoothing layers on.

I'm on to you.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Feldoon,May 19 2012
10:27 PM
Pixellated,May 19 2012
09:35 PM
now I have a whole library of models I can take Right/Front reference shots fromentirely rip the topology off of and then dump twenty thousand smoothing layers on.

I'm on to you.

Posted Image

Bump for Ekans, and a timelapse video too.

10th June, Bump again Rhydon, and another timelapse for those still interested.

please say something?

Kaempfer
Member Avatar
Boop beep boop
I'm not not a modeller, but it looks like you're getting better. Rhydon's looking good and I'm surprised that Ekans was so hard.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Everything's great at your Junes.
With that music choice, it definately feels like I'm watching those commercials selling upscale porcelain mugs.

"This hand made porcelain Ekan's was made with the finest materials in Cumberbridge, complete with patterned 2 carot gold fillings and a jewel encrusted sealed base."

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Kakuna, with the timelapse video.

Kaempfer
Member Avatar
Boop beep boop
Very cool, probably my second favorite so far after squirtle.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Cubone, with the timelapse.

Hah, it's the weekend as well. Totally snuck up on me.

Bump: I think I'm over the "I'm worried I might not be able to do these things" stage which paralysed me occasionally so I wouldn't even start one. There was something about it being recorded as well which put me off. But now it's fine. Have a Butterfree, and of course, the making-of video. Very pleased with how this one turned out.

Bump 2: I'm so sorry for this one

« Previous Topic · Pict-Logs Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply