Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Exterminatus Now. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
8.9 Quake in Japan
Topic Started: Mar 11 2011, 05:10 PM (1,860 Views)
Kyubi
Member Avatar
Troll of the Pokemon World
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So it appears that last night, Japan was struck with an 8.9 magnitude earthquake, the biggest in Japan's known history. Normally, stuff happening in another country might not strike you as deep, but seeing how I recently returned from studying abroad in Japan, I know a couple hundred people in Japan.

All the people I know were staying near the Osaka region, so it wasn't like they were anywhere near the danger zone, but you never know if any of the people I know went to that area during their spring break or something.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Aye, was watching on the news this morning, but the toll's risen to about 300 since then.

Coverage from BBC.

Google being helpful, and Google being helpful again.

The headline you won't be reading.

Twib
Member Avatar
I want to be the keeper of the Reaper
Pixellated,Mar 11 2011
11:18 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/as...es.html?_r=3&hp

Not much I can say... besides the obvious about hoping they recover from this and stay safe.

dragonsteincole
Member Avatar
Problem, sport?
Caught a snippet of this breaking news this morning getting ready for work, seemed pretty bad then. Got home and watched 30 minutes of coverage on the BBC website and genuinely felt shocked.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Article about the early-warning system.

Master Shake
Member Avatar
Scootaloo! We have to cook!
DanThe57,Mar 11 2011
12:53 PM
Pixellated,Mar 11 2011
11:18 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/as...es.html?_r=3&hp

Not much I can say... besides the obvious about hoping they recover from this and stay safe.

Get ready to have your mind fucking blown.

Seriously, 8.9 on the Richter scale, 5th most powerful earthquake in recorded history and all that tall building suffered was a sway. Japan knows how to build a goddamn skyscraper.

The tsunami footage, however, put a knot in my stomach that still hasn't gone away.

Noir The Sable
Member Avatar
So shocking!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
東北地方の方を無事を心よりお祈りします。

Watching some of the the footage on Youtube and Japanese video sharing site NicoNico Douga from people who happened to have cams out during the earthquake, I'm actually rather surprised at how calmly a lot of native Japanese people handle all the shaking and the evacuations. I suppose I shouldn't be, as they've been setting up contingency plans, building codes, etc. to withstand such disasters, but I know that I'd be going nuts if I were in the 14th floor of an office building that's wobbling like a plate of lime jello.

...and then there are the dozens of utter morons in the comments sections who are going "Those japs deserved this because of pearl harbor/nanking rape/whale and dolphin hunting/being perverts/insert-reason-here". Gah. How long is it until we develop technology allowing us to deliver punches through the Internet?

csadn
Member Avatar
Sharkopathic
Noir The Sable,Mar 11 2011
10:39 PM
How long is it until we develop technology allowing us to deliver punches through the Internet?

Become friends with a hacker -- he can provide you with the offender's home address, and then you can let nature take its course.

I grew up in the L.A. area, so this is nothing new for me -- in fact, at some point I need to create a Bug-Out Bag, in case Juan de Fuca lights off.

Retrogamer!
Member Avatar
IT'S HERESY
csadn,Mar 12 2011
01:48 AM
I grew up in the L.A. area, so this is nothing new for me

This is the 6th largest Earthquake in recorded history, man. I'm pretty sure that warrants special consideration compared to the past in LA.

Also, I noticed on the BBC live feed that an expert has commented Japan is now calling it a 9.0 rated Quake with 1000+ deaths considered now. Aftershocks reaching 6.5 have been seen which have gone oddly unreported given 6.5 is still pretty freakin huge.

Anon Jaxun
Member Avatar
Faux McClud
This is pretty crazy, that's for sure. Hope it doesn't end poorly, or persists in being a downer.

Vayne
Scum
[ * ]
Apparently the quake shifted the Earth's axis by 10 cm and permanently moved the entire coast 2.4 metres. Wow...

Twib
Member Avatar
Vayne,Mar 11 2011
10:49 PM
Apparently the quake shifted the Earth's axis by 10 cm and permanently moved the entire coast 2.4 metres. Wow...

[citation needed]

Vayne
Scum
[ * ]
DanThe57,Mar 11 2011
11:53 PM
Vayne,Mar 11 2011
10:49 PM

[citation needed]

Alright, will this do?

Twib
Member Avatar
much better

Calisto
Member Avatar
Not made entirely of candy
[ *  *  *  * ]
csadn,Mar 12 2011
01:48 AM
I grew up in the L.A. area, so this is nothing new for me

I'm sorry, but what? This is a large earthquake, which according to above posts, has shifted the Earth's axis, and all you can say is "Eh, nothing new"? With the following tsunami affecting quite a few countries? I feel genuinely sick thinking that this has happened, but glad that my friend wasn't currently visiting there at the time.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
I really need to stop reading these things.

Noir The Sable
Member Avatar
So shocking!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Pixellated,Mar 12 2011
04:57 AM

...even though I'm only 1/4 Japanese, and the other 3/4ths stereotypically hate Japan, I still feel like giving someone a boot to the face now.

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Here's some footage of the wave heading into San Francisco. Quite amazing to have travelled that far.

Footage from the Tokyo Tower observation deck, roughly 1Kft up. I love the guy at the start; "But it's safe".

Vayne
Scum
[ * ]
Pixellated,Mar 12 2011

As if we needed any more reasons to Hate humanity

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Vayne,Mar 12 2011
10:09 AM
Pixellated,Mar 12 2011

As if we needed any more reasons to Hate humanity

And yet they keep coming.

HunteRS
Member Avatar
Power is all that is needed.
>Facebook
Found your problem right there chief. It seems to be a, eh, concentration of fucktards.
Seriously, it amuses me no end that, were this to happen in Cali it would be 'THE GREATEST TRAGEDY EVER!!!! But because it happened to someone you were at war with 70 years ago it's 'payback'
Shit like this is why we're not living on the moon people.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Everything's great at your Junes.
I would have said its Facebook and move on.

Doesn't look like its going to get it better as a massive explosion was seen at the nuclear power station at Fukushima.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

Pixellated
Member Avatar
Being responsible
Inspiration art.

Sky News didn't think about what ad would run when they cut to a break.

Jeffk38uk
Member Avatar
Everything's great at your Junes.
Heh, bad ad placement. But not as bad as the one in Battlestar Galactica.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1897987 (only place I could find it)

Noir The Sable
Member Avatar
So shocking!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is just like one of my Japanese Animes!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The CABAL Network · Next Topic »
Add Reply