Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Paxia is dead.
Long live Paxia!

If you're a returning or new member and you're wondering where everyone is, look for us on the Paxian Private Forums (click here).

You have entered the Dynami Hive, intentionally or not, welcome.

Just don't mess up anything and take off those shoes.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dynami Fort #Something
Topic Started: Aug 3 2010, 07:35 PM (749 Views)
Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Something bad happened in Paxia? I did it.
New dorf fort.

Seven dorfs, two miners, woodcutter, carpenter, mason, stonecrafter and brewer.

Didn't name anyone yet.
Can call for dorfs from the current group or request from migrant waves.

Fort area is a nice little swamp with the ocean right next to it.

Lots of trees, the ocean full of fish... yep yep. Things are looking good oh god.

Posted Image

The thing crept up to the shore near our wagon for a brief moment but lurked back into the depths soon after.

It also looks like we got to hurry with farms too.

We have about... 70 pieces of food, and 60 swigs of alcohol.

Dangerously low of an amount for both, especially because of the saltwater that surrounds us and taints the local watersupply.

Well, I'm sure we'll manage.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
After hitting talc after the soil layers, mining for a main fort entrance has begun.

Initiate discoveries look promising. Lignite and bituminous coal, both usable for coke meaning we can get metalworking up fast even if we wouldn't breach the caverns and look for magma.

Also, moss agate. Yay gems.

Posted Image

It's not long though when signs of trouble arise. Luckily it's not the sea monster rising like Godzilla and raining fire on everyone.

It's something much more horrible.

Posted Image

A pack of the skeletal shambling things arrive, along their zombie cousins. Luckily they are content at staying far from our camp, but just on the safe side, I've ordered dwarves to work as far as possible from them.

We don't need undeads rampaging around our place as the first issue in this fort.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be that though, but not YET. Hopefully.

However because god prefers to see me suffer, the skeletons decide to shamble straight to the general direction of our camp.

Miners and the woodcutter are assigned to a soldier squad, patted to the back and sent to fight the horrible undead menace before they... I don't know, scratch us to death, I guess. They're still chimps.

The following battle is quick but it could have been quicker if everyone would have thought about hanging on to their given tool and using that to kill the skeletal chimps. But noo, they had to drop them and snap their twiggy little bones with their bare hands.

Oh well at least the threat is now gone.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Aug 3 2010, 08:30 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Maan, settings farms up in the new version is a hassle, but it's partly due to a bug anyway so whatever.

Had to make a small tunnel for a nearby pond to splash it's contents all over our to-be farmland. The good thing is that it worked perfectly. I can't WAIT to see what's the bad thing going to be later on.

Posted Image

Summer has arrived too, and we just began to mine the main fort area. First up a place to dine, then bedrooms.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Aug 3 2010, 08:37 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
A bunch of migrants arrived. A metalcrafter, animal trainer, fisherman and a woodworker

The fisherman, to my dismay, only knows basic skills and is quite a novice at the skill of catching fish. Whatever, we haven't built a pier anyway for catching fish.

Even greater dismay is that for some reason, no dorf will pick up the copper axe that was left on the ground by our woodcutter during the skeleton attack.

Good thing that we haven't had to, there are skeletons there still, and zombies, but they're not exactly looking to kill us all.

Posted Image

The sleeping area is done for the time being, housing everyone efficiently, but not very comfortably.

Posted Image

The fort walk-way, intersecting to the main areas.

Up, the farms and to be a fishing access corridor. At some point, also will incorporate plant produce shops, dyer and so on.

Left, crafting. Here we'll have people churning out crafts of all sorts, jewelers decorating them and metalcrafters either making crafts out of metal or improving existing ones with the stuff. And so on.

Right, production. Furniture production goes here, as does metalsmiths making bars of metal. Gems will be cut here and shipped over to crafting. Raw glass will be produced here too and it goes straight to the jewelers.

Down is the corridor to the fort entrance and trade depot. At some point it will be improved to work as a drowning trap, closed by rising bridges but for now, it just is the way it is depicted earlier.

Currently mining for the fishing route, because we need some food. Plants are going for booze.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Well, that could have gone better.

I opened up the route for fishing, and what happens?

Everyone runs after something, I don't know what, but the animal trainer, out to make booze, roused the ire of skeletal warthogs.

In the following few moments, we now have one soldier injured(our expedition leader), and our woodcutter died from having his guts and lung gouged by a few zombie warthogs.

I guess I got to make that well now.

EDIT: The leader managed to overcome her injuries before the dreaded "died of thirst" thing among dwarves. However, her body now has a lot of scars, albeit most of them in the form of bruises. Dents, as the game calls them.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Aug 4 2010, 04:31 AM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
After the skirmish with zombie and skeletal warthogs, our animal trainer finally did something right. He picked up the copper axe and is now a true woodcutter.

Which is good, because you never can have too much wood in a fort.

There's a lot of "sea hibiscus" or something that's growing on the ocean shore, and even under the sea, sizable plants that can be cut to produce logs big enough to make furniture of.

The only thing I fear though are the ocean's inhabitants. That sea monster in particular, horrible clawed thing that surely would love to tear and rend any witless dorf to shreds given the opportunity.

As soon as possible, we need to make some way to protect the fort in case there's a sea monster attack.

There's also been sightings of a sea serpent that went out for a stroll from the ocean, frolicking as much as a sea serpent can.

With our food supply dwindling with each passing day, we'll need to slaughter our animals that pulled the wagon. Not much of a loss, a horse and a donkey. A shame that animals that helped us get here now must die for us to live here, but it's something that has to be done.

A grave for the fallen woodcutter has been mined, with a statue put up behind the coffin. I can only ask, why did it have to be a statue of a skinless demon? And why did our mason have to put so much detail to the creation of this particular statue depicting this... thing.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
It's autumn. Rudimentary places for work have been mined for the crafting-area, next up is production area.

Posted Image

A group of four arrived as migrants, right next to a pack of zombie and skeletal elephants. There were two survivors, an unskilled farmer and a bit more skilled farmer who has worked everything from leatherworking to glassmaking, bonecarving to military time.

Posted Image

Say hello to our new leatherworker!

Posted Image

After the small crisis with food and booze, both have been now remedied for the time being. Once planting hits high gear there should be little to worry about either things in the future.

The fishing area is now looking better, with an actual wall protecting from nasty things that might descent from the hills to eviscerate our poor suicidal fishermen.

What comes FROM the ocean though is a whole other matter.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
With the end of Autumn, traders finally arrived!

Right in the middle of a pack of zombie and skeletal elephants.
What is it with dwarves and elephants?

Posted Image

There might have been hope, had they not hired frigging BOWMEN to defend them. There was no battle there, only a massacre.

The lust for blood for the undead wasn't sated with the two guards and a merchant however.
It wasn't soon after the liaison left that he was seen running around the field with a skeletal elephant right after him.
Soon after there was a scream, then a splattering sound.

I guess we need a new liaison.

And just because gods hate me, the two named skeletal elephants, Crowntreaty and Belltones, suddenly charged the fort itself.

A wall was built just in time, but sadly it offered little help to Degel, the fisherman who migrated here and was told to smooth and engrave walls. He was working on the main entrance when the attack came, and was chased by the two things.
His pet chicken died as well. For a moment it seemed he might make it, since he was running to the stairs, but suddenly he turned around like it was a bad idea. Which it probably would have been, those skeletons would have been through the wall as well as Degel and that wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

I don't know what was going through his mind, but right after the above happenings, he fell asleep.
The skeletons gave no mercy to those who just want to nap, and Degel was gored beyond recognition.

Posted Image

It took until Winter for the elephants to clear the hallway, but soon after they were gone, a bunch of undead warthogs arrived, camping in the area where the caravan had been killed.
I guess their stuff won't be looted for a while.

If there's one thing that's worth trying to make a fort here, it's the resources we find while digging.

Lignite, coal, limonite, hematite, you can't dig two meters without finding signs of one of those. The metalcrafter has begun learning the trade of furnace operating, since the operator who migrated here never made it past the elephants.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Early Spring. Migrants arrive, a large wave of them, pushing the fort population to 27.

And of course, waiting for them are the skeletal elephants. A craftsman is running away for his life, having gained the attention of a skeletal pachyderm, while the rest of the wave is waiting for a chance to make a break for the fort.

A pet dog takes a stand against the elephants, and I think we can all guess how that turned out. At least it bought some time.

It seems we managed to attract a few hunters to the fort as well. Both start shooting at a zombie elephant that lumbers at the migrants, and a bolt to the head causes the thing to fall over quite dead.

Much celebration is had, as there is now nothing keeping the migrants from reaching the fort.

Well, except for that one craftsman.

AND THAT PACK THAT SUDDENLY CAME OUT OF NOWHERE THEY'RE RIGHT ON TOP OF THE ENTRANCE OH GOD

Posted Image

Despite the chaos and the death the elephants cause, majority of the migrants get to the fort and are rushed indoors.

The migrants are:
- A bowyer
- An engraver
- A ranger
- A hunter
- Two animal trainers
- Armorer
- Metalsmith
- Blacksmith
- Weaver
- Milker
- Brewer
- Wood Burner
- Surgeon

Their secondary skills will be examined later on, as soon as we get everyone a room to sleep in and so on.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
The only migrants of note who had good secondary skills were the hunters. One had armorsmith experience, the other was a gem cutter before he had enough, I guess.

Beds have been crafted for all the new people, and rooms too.

And then we found out that with all the ore and coal we had, we would be wise to invest in blast furnace operation.

Modded building, throw six pieces of iron ore in, six pieces of flux stone and six bars of coke, and you get six steel bars.

Sounds nice, so I use it.

Anyway.

This resulted in strip-mining bare open all places where there was iron ore, or coal.

These areas went through a lot of our mined rooms. We're now in the process of dumping all the coal stones near the smelters for easier access, and also to rebuild the room walls for the people who found out that valuable materials for the fort were going through THEIR room.

Also, one of our new people was possessed, a blacksmith of little skill too. Most unfortunate, but at least there was everything he needed to build the damn thing.

A pig iron throne, worth 26400. Not bad, but not that great either.

Posted Image

Tuss
Member Avatar
Trainer Unique Sub System Units
Heh. Nice picture.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
I think I'll make crappy MS Paint pictures out of all the artifacts we get.

Between the time of last post and this one, there have been 2 new artifacts. I'll draw 'em up later and make a post about what's going on now.

The only thing I can say is: Lucky.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
So. While we were dumping all the coal stone to a more easily accessible spot, two moods happened during that time(it took sort of long). I previously said that things were "Lucky". And why is that?

We've now had three metalworker moods in a row. I wish all my forts started like this.

The first one was a possession, sure, but the last two were not. We have a legendary armorer, and legendary blacksmith now.

First to mood was the armorer who made an item of... Questionable intent. However it will work like any other armor piece, so I'm not complaining.

A steel elven chainmail, worth 122400. I hope this is just because he thought he could improve the elven design, not that he intends to hand this over to the elves as soon as possible.

Posted Image

A steel statue, worth 141600. It's a very shiny statue, even when I'm not sure who the dwarf depicted in it is. Civ leader probably. We don't have any dorf with the name Inod Slingtundras in the fort.

Posted Image

Damages done by the stripmining are being repaired now, starting with the most important area, the sleeping quarters.

Mining for more rooms through the dug areas is going to be fun. All that rebuilding... at least we'll use some of the hundreds of stones we have laying about.

Posted Image

Also, during the mood with the chainmail being created, the guy wanted silk. Since we didn't happen to have any(I only took plant fibre with me, WHOOPS) there was only one thing to do. Rather than risk the caravan arriving in time, we dug deep.

And we hit the first cavern layer. Didn't see anything too horrible, but regardless, we're going to keep the place sealed after we harvested some silk for the mooded guy. That thing's closed until we have a military going on.

At least with our legendary armorer we should have no problems with the quality of our gear. The armor, that is. Not as sure about our weapons.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
A huge migrant wave arrived, 18 people, and there wasn't undead anywhere to kill them.
So we now have more metalworkers, but most importantly, two five-man squads training to be killer machines.

Also there's now an ettin in our fort entrance tunnel.

It got shot in the gut with an arrow by a caravan guard on their way out, and it then strangled a mule and smashed our depot.

Suggestions, or will I wait it out?

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Well turns out I didn't have to wait it out.

Thanks to more OH SNAPS than an ettin in the front yard.

Dusk elves sieged, why, I don't know, we had been trading with them earlier so my guess is that a liaison died and I didn't notice.

Regardless, they soon fought the ettin and won.

There's now only a siege in our front yard, and our soldiers aren't even dabbling at their skill at the moment. Gotta wait a while longer before considering the military option.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
One siege leaves, and another replaces it.
Funky. I guess more liaisons than I thought have died on our site.

Anyway.

I noticed something new.

Every hostile race there is only cares about killing US.

I've seen goblins and elves walk by each other and not bat an eye, kobolds jumping up near goblin squads and ambushing the UNDEAD rather than shooting the gobbos full of arrows.

We're still under lockdown, waiting for an experienced army and/or trap components to finish building.

Meanwhile, two artifacts have been made.

First was our legendary engraver, who became even more legendary and he made THIS THING.

Posted Image

Second was our grand master mason who was possessed to make, you guessed it, a quern.

Posted Image

We're now mining for new sources of ore and the gem deposits around our site.

A zombie rat climbed up from the underground caverns, but it was quickly dispatched.
That is all.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
While we're safe from the siegers, a new threat arrives.

Posted Image

The thing moves fast, and to my dismay, it walks over the traps I set up in the cavern tunnel, unharmed.

Our soldiers however are more than ready to fight this threat to the fort and set upon it like crazy.

In the fight, no soldier takes injuries, only the beast which soon falls down dead, killed by a spear(wo)man named Dobar Rakedroad.

Dobar's title from now on is the Bugslayer.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Another siege arrived as soon as the previous one left.
Also, hilarity ensued when a goblin ambush squad had a demon among them that spat fire.

In a dry forest field.

You can guess the end result.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Another forgotten beast attacked. A snail with a dust breath attack.

It apparently had been fighting the batmen somewhere in the caverns, because it was already wounded when it got to the fort.

The fight was over rather fast, with the Bugslayer getting another FB kill to her credit. Also, she carried a wounded soldier to the hospital, victim to the dust of the snail.

However, the dust apparently blocks airways. The soldier died right after being placed on the hospital bed.

One more to fill up our coffins, I guess.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Autumn, traders for once arrived and made it to the depot.
Gave all our crafted goods(a LOT of them) in exchange for food and other minor things.

Of course things never go easy in this part of the world. Several enemy ambush squads arrived, two from goblins and two from kobolds.

The kobolds marched right over the traps of course, but a merchant guard held them off single-handedly, for a while. It was still one VS a dozen kobolds.

The guy broke bones from several of them, even made it all the way to Hammer Lord but the cuts and hits from kobolds, combined with over-extertion did him in when he collapsed on a weapon trap. It wasn't pretty.

The goblin squads weren't as lucky against the weapon traps, but most of them made it through with few cuts. There were also trolls among them, armed with bows of all things.

Soldiers were ordered to attack, and chaos broke out in the trade area. Merchant guards assisted of course, and we eventually killed the goblins, but a soldier from our side ended up dead for it.

Hopefully after this we get some more migrants, we really need more soldiers.

At some point, a post will be constructed in the cavern area for a squad to guard over the place.

There have been... incidents.

First I placed some guard dogs there to thwart the wildlife, but ghouls and skeletal giant moles chewed most of them to bits, and even dwarves weren't safe from the attacks.

Casualty list for the caverns is here:
- A soldier fighting a ghoul dodged, right off the staircase, and died upon impact with the cavern floor.
- A migrant miner was killed in a ghoul attack.
- Our legendary miner also died to a ghoul, but not before killing it with several hits from a pick to the face of the creature.
- Our weaver was ambushed by an arachna, a spider-woman creature that tore him to pieces. The military killed the thing, but it did little good to the weaver, the poison the arachna has blocks airways. He would have suffocated regardless, had his limbs not been torn off so he bled to death before that.
- Several guard dogs.

For a fort as small as ours, the casualty list is a tad too high, so something has to be done. A military outpost is the best solution, since weapon traps can jam and they can't chase after hostiles attacking our dorfs.

Have a delightful picture of our trade depot area.

Posted Image

Also, here's a pic of the civ's we've come to contact with. I'm pretty sure that's all of them that are in the world, short descriptions will follow.

Posted Image

- Batman Civ. Underground cavern dwellers, from what I figure, the snail that arrived injured had fought these guys. If it made it to the fort, that means the batmen were all killed and no new ones will arrive to replace them. At least at the moment, might change in future DF versions.
- The Empire of Whirling. Nord civilization, they're basically vikings, and trade with us.
- The Boar of Exits. Elven civ, they trade with us.
- The Modest Kingdoms. A different elf civ, that at the moment is unhappy with us since they keep sieging.
- The Castle of Virtue. Our own civ. Obviously they trade with us.
- The Renowned Unions. Yet another elf civ, that trades with us.
- The Realm of Culmination. A human civ, they trade with us.
- The Ignoble Lie. Serpentman civ, they want us dead.
- Strikibakis. Kobold civ, they want us dead too AND they want our shiny things.
- The Hellish Demon. Demon civ, they want us dead.
- The Fabulous Confederation. A FABULOUS human civ, they trade with us.
- The Courageous Jackal. Illithid civ, they seem to be mutants of sorts, their weapons are parts of their bodies. They also want us dead.

We got a lot of enemies.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Things that have happened:

Most important:
MIGRANTS!
Twenty-one dorfs finally arrived, and we are now up to 15 military dorfs. Later arrivals will see the creation of more squads, because I would rather learn from my last fort's mistakes and not keep everyone in one squad and lose all, or most, of the soldiers because of rotting dust.

The sieges have finally ended! The elves buried their war axes and asked for peace, which I took. The less enemies we have at this point, the better.

A few artifacts have been made. Will draw 'em at some point.

A few forgotten beasts attacked, neither were anything special. A giant lizard that was chopped to pieces, despite the fact that the first guy to attack it had forgotten his weapon somewhere.

The second was a towering humanoid of grime. Again, much chopping was done although a war dog was tossed at a wall where it exploded.

Our soldiers keep getting skills, slowly but surely. Soon it's time to set 'em up to actually train.

Dee Ess II, Troll-Empra
Unregistered

You are getting better at this fortstorytelling business, Berg. Keep it up.
Quote Post Goto Top

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Wait, when I stop using any form of person telling about a fort and just go as a player and draw pics, my "stories" are better?

Mah god.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
So we still haven't had new migrants.

We've had a lot of ambushes though!

Anyway.

The usual stuff, underground proves dangerous still, a few idiots have died and a few pets, war dogs keep getting torn apart(buying mastiff's from caravans to replace our current dogs with SUPERIOR ones).

Otherwise, goblins. Goblins everywhere.

Just now we had a huge fight with three of their squads.

Squad C was demolished, the newbie group, all are now dead. Our military commander also died and was replaced by Urist MyNameIsLongFromAllTheKillingIDo.

But the worst thing is that we lost two metalsmiths. Both decided that running OUTSIDE was the best option when the goblins were in front of them.

They were promptly slaughtered.

I'm leaving their corpses where they fell.
Dorfs that stupid don't deserve burial.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
MIGRANTS!

Up to 70 dorfs. Military now 20-strong. Hopefully they bother to actually train and get somewhere.

The Bugslayer is miserable, having lost a kid in the battle against the goblins along a friend.

For safety she now trains without gear or weapons.

Which is good because she just threw a tantrum.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR FORT'S SPECIAL HERO

TUNE IN LATER AND FIND OUT

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bigger Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Cody of Outline
Administration and Moderator List Replies to your topics Active topics Top 10 posters today Top 10 overall posters