Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Paxia is dead.
Long live Paxia!

If you're a returning or new member and you're wondering where everyone is, look for us on the Paxian Private Forums (click here).

You have entered the Dynami Hive, intentionally or not, welcome.

Just don't mess up anything and take off those shoes.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dynami Fortress DX; Or as in DFDX, sounds fancy eh?
Topic Started: Jan 18 2010, 05:55 PM (3,624 Views)
Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Something bad happened in Paxia? I did it.
Okay.

Posted Image

One of our two carpenters was possessed and made this nice looking bucket.

Too bad we already have one artifact bucket. And it's worth more than this one.

Anyway.

Fishtank got his Urist.

Posted Image

Meanwhile, slow plans for that indoor waterfall have begun. I got a spot thought up, and I might even make several more later on. Just need time to make all the pump parts and so on.

Elsewhere, a new living area has been constructed.

Posted Image

Hooray.

I also noticed that some of our kids have blisters on their feet. I assume this is because the little jerks are running around naked, and there's still blood stains left from some of the forgotten beasts, and at least one of them had a "dangerous blood" thing going on.

Luckily that's all they have now, blisters in their feet.

One guy had a disease that popped the eyes of dwarves, other had a disease that rotted their livers.
Quote:

Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

All hail our robotic overlord, King of the World, Gorobei.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Good news:
There was a new version released that fixed a few bugs. Like the acid rain problem, magma-heat thing that made dorfs die by just being too close but most importantly: Fishing isn't broken anymore. It was due to some bug related to worldgen temp calculations, but finally we can fish for fish.

Bad news:
The current version(at least the #d version(the one with Baughn and co. working to make DF run faster)) has graphics broken at the moment.

That's about it.

I'll try to play some today and yeah. Right after my exercise.
Boy howdy.
Quote:

Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

DigDog
Member Avatar
Pantsman
Acid rain? That sounds awesome.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Well it was actually more like a bug along these lines.

You embark in a relatively warm, or Hot biome.
Your dorfs are outside.

It starts to rain.

Due to a bug in counting how much rain, that's on items or people, heats up, the rain will melt their skin off and everyone dies of THE HORROR.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, May 20 2010, 06:31 PM.
Quote:

DigDog
Member Avatar
Pantsman
Like I said, awesome.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Finally it's time to play a bit of Dorf Fort.

Because graphics are gonna be broken for a while, I might not take screenshots because only I would have any idea what's going on in 'em.

Anyway.

The start of game is pretty amusing at the time being.

First thing I hear is that a kidnapper has gotten away with a baby. I wonder how it managed, given how we have a bunch of soldiers just waiting for something to happen.

That aside, I've started to think about the waterfall project again.

I think I'm going to have to construct a separate waterfall room somewhere else but the main party area, because there is little room for the waterworks there. Directly below that floor are the food supplies, and yadda yadda yadda our miners need some work again after they delved to the underground and mined a lot of gold and silver and all that.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Good news everyone!

The building of a waterfall indoors is going along swimmingly! Do you see what I did there?

Well anyway.

The location wasn't that difficult, this dwarven feat of engineering is now at the lowest of our inhabited cavern floors, right in the middle of it.

The hard part was getting the water there. After a few rounds I noticed that it was evaporating faster than dwarves could carry it in, and it turns out they were cancelling the fill orders a lot too because the moment they put the bucket down, some other dwarf a million miles away decided that they would be the one to carry it to the stockpile.

So a small tunnel was mined that connected our well to the lowest level, and before you knew it, the whole thing was complete!

I had already ordered a number of zinc grates to be made, for people to stand on when they want to go and gaze on the steel statues I had built for the place.

So after the channels had been made, water level lifted and everything was all set to go, I put down the grates.

And found out that our jewelers and bone workers had got to them first.

Only one of the grates had been left alone from the green glass studs, spikes, or pictures of mountains. And then there was one grate that had been decorated with forgotten beast bone.

Dammit guys.

Oh and our legendary clothier decided that she should be the one to go in a fey mood, so she did.

She made a loincloth.

Posted Image

She's also a jerk, apparently. At least I'm sure that's what the dwarf in one of the pictures must be thinking.

The loincloth is worth 74k.

We also have a planter who isn't doing anything because he's too injured.

I have no idea how he is injured, because the only wounds he has are a few bruises.

I have concluded that he is a wimp.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Damn it.

I was about to finish building the power-supply for our indoors waterfall, when the game crashed.
And of course I hadn't saved in quite a while either.

Oh well.

There hasn't been anything that interesting lately in the fort.
Traders show up, we trade, some thieves or babysnatchers are spotted and our soldiers rush all over them.

That planter is still driving me insane, because he's actually walking around but still complains that he's too injured to actually do anythi-

Maybe I should check his wounds again.
If he's lost the ability to use his hands that might explain the lack of things that are supposed to be done.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Would you look at that.

While I'm putting finishing touches to our indoor waterfall(placing the last gears in place to start the thing), a mountain titan arrives.

It's made of snow, a quadruped beast with a trunk.

We'll see how this goes.

EDIT: Hurm. It died in two hits by a soldier with an axe.

Disappointing.

And the waterfall is almost don-
THE FORGOTTEN BEAST USAN HAS COME!
AN ENORMOUS BLOB COMPOSED OF FLAME! IT HAS WINGS AND IT HAS A BLOATED BODY!

EDIT2: Well, for some reason, the cave swallowman that killed the first beast from underground that attacked, was there to meet this thing.

And he fought. Oh by Armok he fought.

With a wooden spear he managed to remove both the wings of the thing, and wound it enough that any other creature would have died.

But this wasn't any normal creature, no blood flowed in it, only flames. And it flashed out with those flames, and the cave swallowman was set on fire.

He died, but looking at the reports, if it wasn't for the immortal beast bug, he would have killed that thing.

In his honor, I again got rid of one of these broken things by encasing it in obsidian. The remains of the cave swallowman are to be deposited in a tomb, and sealed.

While he wasn't a dorf, he fought and died like one.

On fire.

EDIT3: It seems there's still something wrong with my pump tower, because it's not working and also ANOTHER BEAST ATTACKS!

BOSA, A TOWERING HAIRY THEROPOD!
IT HAS TWO SHORT TAILS AND IT APPEARS TO BE EMACIATED! IT'S DARK TAN HAIR IS PATCHY! BEWARE IT'S NOXIOUS SECRETIONS!

Luckily it's coming from where our military is at.

It spits and heaves it's fumes as it goes, and what does it get? An axe to the head.

That was fast.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Jun 8 2010, 07:24 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
At the end of Winter, there was a goblin siege.

Things went sort of "whoops".

Because it's winter, our water supply area had been frozen. All of it, which hadn't happened before. So, I had decided to make underground pathways beneath the well-area to store some water that would stay unfrozen during winter.

The goblins took advantage of this, and a whole squad made their way straight into the fort through there.

Voracious cave crawlers, elk birds and other beasts attacked, and there were two casualties that resulted.

A brewer who was fetching a bucket of water at the wrong time, and soon after, a military dwarf who was cornered to one of the bedrooms and struck down by one of the cave crawlers.

The mess isn't pretty.

Posted Image

Because the bridge is so small, fighting on it was tough, and several of the stationed dwarves dodged off of it as they fought the intruders. Luckily it's just a small drop so there were no injuries. Tuss however was no mere dwarf, as he was stationed there as well, but cleaved a path through the creatures the goblins rode on, and straight to the area where they fought in tight enclosed space.

He earned quite a few kills to his name again, as he kept the line with some other normal dorf.

In the end, that's where the main force of invaders came from, while a pack of war rutherers attacked from the main entrance. Luckily I had stationed our other squad there already, who killed and hunted down the last of the blood thirsty things.

At the end, the fort is safe once again.

And a gem setter then was possessed. Was it the spirit of one of the two dwarfs killed? Or perhaps one of the goblins?

He took one single brown jasper and went to work on something. I'm not expecting much. The good side is, the guy is already legendary, so at least he's not a novice who is spending his/her one lifetime invention of becoming something great to snapping a bit insane and making something they don't remember anything about doing.

And the guy made a scepter. There's nothing special about it.

4800 dorf bucks, Gladdissolved, the Scintillating Balls.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
While I was dealing with the fact that goblins were basically walking in through an unlocked backdoor(hopefully this year the water levels rise enough to prevent further access from invaders), I finally had managed to get our indoor waterfall system to work.

Posted Image

It is a great success, and many dwarves are ecstatic about the waterfall that now soothes their horror-scarred nerves.

Two steel statues have been placed, water constantly falling on them and creating mist. Both statues are of dwarves notable enough to be immortalized in steel.

The first is Zuntar Matchclasped. The dwarf who ensured, with his iron shoe, that our fortress would provide the best armor possible for our soldiers.

The second is Tuss, surrounded by other dwarves. Surely they are meant to be looking for his guidance through the dark times the fort has had.

Meanwhile, I notice that the metalsmith our mayor had punished(for failing to provide natural aluminum items) was dangerously dehydrated.

Why? Because somehow no one thought about bringing the guy some water to drink.

So I had two options, wait it out since he had about 20 days left on his sentence or do something. I did the latter, if he's dehydrated already odds were he wouldn't make it to the day he'd be let out.

So I ordered some food and drink to be delivered to him. Great success was had and now he's only drowsy. Maybe at some point a new jail area should be built, this one better equipped against dehydration and other unpleasant methods of dying.

Meanwhile, plan's for some horrible magma trap device have been put to place.

While the easy solution would be one where enemies are dropped into magma, the amusing one is where they get splashed with magma.

I'm going with the latter, although it requires some work on the main entrance.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Elves arrived to trade, magma pump area is under construction, we still don't have iron blocks to make the magma pumps with and a hydra just arrived.

How come we are suddenly so big with horrible monsters and their to-kill list?

It also turned out that there's still not enough water in the well-area.

How did I figure this out?

Because that's where the hydra came from to attack.

Tuss' squad was stationed to greet the thing, and battle was had.

A few heads of the thing were chopped off, and finally an Axe Lord landed the killing blow.

I hope we'll fight a dragon at some point. Those are nice because they like spamming their fire attack.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Daamn, Toady has kept himself busy these past few days.
He's fixing bugs fast, just a few days ago I DL'ed version .05 which fixed the multiple mayors bug(that luckily we haven't had to deal with yet), and now he released .06 that fixes an issue with military where they kept going for other gear after they put some stuff on. Better gear, luckily, but it got annoying in the cases where they suddenly drop their stuff while being stationed somewhere and yeah.

Fishing should be fixed too now, so finally, maybe we can find turtles somewhere. I think I saw cave fish at the indoor waterfall area too. How they got there, I don't know.

Stupid magical fish eggs.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
During the construction of our magma pump tower, I realized something(luckily before anything unfortunate occurred).

The way our pumps work, and the tight spot they've been placed, and the fact that dwarves really like working in dangerous places, the metalsmiths who went to finish building the pumps our architect(Darkshine's dorf) designed kept trapping themselves behind the machinery.

Not a big issue, we just have now two pieces of wall that have to be built rather than one.

A tanner went crazy while smoothing a floor at the pumps, and made the most shiny of capes that I've ever seen.

He also caused me some gray hairs because he kept demanding for body parts. Turns out those mean shells. Funny that he didn't just ask for those in specific. Well anyway, our military was sent down below where a herd of crundles were hanging out, and with a few axe swings, we had a bunch of shells. And meat. And skulls. And other limbs that were removed.

The cape is worth 24k, and it doesn't really have anything special on it. Best thing is a picture of a copper bucket that was made in the past.

In other news... I finally decided to trim down our animal population a little. Meaning I ordered all the animals we had and weren't trained for war to be butchered. This has caused our meat stockpiles to flow like alcohol, and our carpenters are furiously making more barrels to hold the surplus, cooks working overtime to make meals out of all of the stuff we have.

Our tamed cave crocodile finally gave birth to a little hatchling. It's so cute, snapping at fingers or toes of our kids.

We finally began production of soap, as well.

Because we have to do SOMETHING with all the fat that we keep getting from creatures, our's or enemies.

Now if only our tame giant cave spider would agree to pop out a few giant cave spider babies.

Meanwhile, our resident neighbours, the cave swallowmen, continue having their population rise in numbers.

There's dozens of adults, and even more children, and they are just hanging out below our dining hall.

Why that single spot, I don't know. I also don't know why the cave swallowman that led to his tribe in our midst suddenly descended to do battle with the fire beast.

Maybe he felt the same calling that made him come in the middle of a dwarf fort.

Well whatever.

The human's have arrived to trade. I hope they have something good.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Work is proceeding.

The magma pumps are finally in place, channels have been dug to provide the magma passage when we start this bad boy.

Meanwhile though, rock after another are being hauled above ground, because it turns out that we require quite a bit of power to keep the whole thing running.

We also need to install a shutdown system in place, maybe two in case something horrible happens.

Although the worst case scenario in above instance is that we have an unstoppable magma rain in our entrance tunnel.

After a lot of time, we finally have "dealt with" our animal population.

From 120 animals to 36, all of them pets.

Our war animals number around 20.

The human's brought disappointingly little of worth this time. Just a few bins of cloth and leather.

I bought a few hunks of cheese too, because I want something more on my food than... well, whatever we are serving right now. Preserved eyes on my roast made out of lungs, intestines and brains?

Yeah I'll stick to cheese.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
While dwarf merchants, whom I've waited for all this year, arrived, so did goblins. With a siege.

They of course had to arrive from the same area the merchants did, and before you knew it, a slow trade horse got cleaved in half by a goblin swordman and the merchants all got their pants twisted and left. Or tried to, since you know, goblins.

I sent a squad above, as Tuss' squad stayed behind to take care of goblins that might sneak into the fort as it went to a lockdown mode.

Only a handful of a group made it that far, chased after the first group who obliterated several other squads, and they offered no problems for our soldiers.

There was one case of injury, Nil, a legendary axe-user somehow was wounded on both his arms, lower parts of 'em.

Luckily he just needs some sutures and setting and he's good to go.

He's also our first customer to enjoy fine soap-cleaning. Congrats Nil!

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Would you look at that.
Our liaison arrived, but this time with some more official news.

Posted Image

Of course we accepted such a raise in society, and a few lucky dwarves received quite a reputation to uphold, simple workers of the fort were now being uplifted to noble status.

The Armorer Zuntar Taddodok or something was the first recommendation, being the man who made the iron shoe and became a legendary armorer.

Second was Urist the Biter, a nobody that had no friends.

Third was a Fish Cleaner, who barged into the room and yelled out his name and made it to the list.

Because only one would be made into a baron, a bone dice was brought and rolled, 1-2 for the Armorer, 3-4 for Urist and 5-6 for the Fish Cleaner.

The dice rolled 4.

Congratulations Urist, or should I say, your Highness?

Posted Image

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Close enough to a dragon.
LETS DO DIZ.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
I'm not sure what's wrong with these forgotten beasts lately, but this one did what Atac did.

Never used it's special ability.

Tuss was first to fight the beast, and after chopping off a few limbs some other lucky dwarf came in and finished it off.

Oh well. The fort is safe once again.

I also found out that my magma pump tower doesn't work as it should, only the two topmost pumps are powered. Need to mine a shaft for mechanisms to power all of it up.

However, pretty much immediately after a huge worm of vomit arrives. Surely to avenge his gecko friend. Let's see if this one is more of a challenge.

...well, you could say that it was quite some challenge.

Like the previous vomit monster, this one caused an issue with the whole "I can't die haha" thing that normal creatures have.

So I decided again on the "do enough damage and you win".

At the end of a looong battle, enough damage was dealt to the beast for me to declare the win on our side.

However it came at a heavy cost.

I think that cost might be our ENTIRE MILITARY.

This worm had "deadly dust".

And apparently it's quite deadly.

Posted Image

Majority of our forces were caught in the dust clouds, and all of those suffer the same symptom.

The dust of the beast causes the bodies of the inflicted to swell up with their own blood, while their body starts to rot at a horrific rate.

At the time of writing this, two dwarfs have already died of this.

Tuss was caught in the blast as well.

Only a miracle could save us now, for with them gone, our military force is severely diminished.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Jun 10 2010, 07:23 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Jun 10 2010, 08:19 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
The situation looks grim.
After the battle with the forgotten beast, two of our soldiers remain.

We lack people to replace them, as the fortress needs everyone to do actual work outside of battle, our only hope is that we make it through long enough for migrants to arrive and making a new squad or two out of them.

Even a single goblin siege could wipe us out now.

The magma-weapon isn't ready. It requires a lot more power than we originally estimated, Dessy has hired our miners to help him with preparing windmills to power it up. However that only helps with enemies coming from that particular spot into our fort. Enemies within the caverns... Well we'll just have to fight and see.

And just as I started writing this, another forgotten beast arrives. This time a gigantic scaly earthworm with wings and a poisonous bite.

Let us hope our two soldiers can defeat it.

EDIT: The beast luckily was more interested in destroying a few bedrooms, and our soldiers sneaked up on it. No injuries, just plain killing of the thing.
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Jun 10 2010, 09:06 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Migrants have arrived.

Surviving soldiers now lead squads of their own greenhorns, and we are up to 15 soldiers.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Just as I thought things were going to be all right, goblin siegers arrive.

The magma weapon isn't ready, but it soon is made clear that it wouldn't have mattered anyway. It seems my way of keeping dwarves and people away from magma-heated walls with iron bars was for naught, as those can be destroyed by creatures.

Our fledgling army is stationed to fight, and the goblins rush through our entrance, crashing down iron bars as they go like a furious wind.

Screams, panic. War rutherers of goblins break the doors, and a recruit has an arm snapped like a twig.

Our seasoned soldiers do their best to hold the line and the spirits of their fellow soldiers, but it does little against the fact that our opponents are trained for battle, unlike our newly made army.

More rutherers rush in through the entrance, now littered with corpses, theirs and ours.

The cave swallowman tribe bursts to flight, and engages the enemy, unarmed and quite unafraid.

Posted Image

More goblins arrive on their beasts of war, the main bulk of their force.

A recruit, unconscious and broken at the gates, is slain by the goblins.

There are too many of them, and too few of our soldiers, all of them far too young and untrained against an invasion of this scale.

If only Tuss was still alive.

The troops at the gates are broken, the Captain charges the enemy alone but is struck down.

Bodies litter the streets, the dead and the dying.

Rigoth, the remaining squad leader takes the place of the fallen Captain and cuts his way through enemies, but he is but one man and the enemies have begun to spread through the fort, chasing after the civilians.

Posted Image

But suddenly, it is over.

The enemy retreats, sneering and laughing, leaving behind but piles of bodies.

In the end of the battle, our mayor and baron both were killed, along our broker. ^

Out of the 13 recruits we obtained, 3 remain. Our military is now 4 people. 2 of them hospitalized.

The magma-weapon obviously needs to be updated, but how long would it take to rebuild it, with all this carnage that has to be cleared away first?
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Jun 10 2010, 10:57 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Another migrant wave arrived, a small one but we were able to make a new squad of soldiers.

That's when the forgotten beast made out of horn silver decided to arrive.

Our soldiers went to do battle but it seems that it's for naught, none of them are strong enough to harm it, not even our current Captain who is the best soldier in the fort. Well, best of what we have.

Two soldiers are slain quickly by the beast, and the rest attack it without pause.

Of course, that's when a giant one-eyed wasp decides to fly from the underground and into the fort, while we're still fighting the first beast. Hip hooray.

The Captain and his men fight valiantly against the horn silver humanoid, but it still shows no signs of slowing down.

With the arrival of the new beast, the forces are divided, one to fight the first beast the second force to go against the one-eyed wasp.

The wasp almost makes beef jerky out of one soldier but the other finishes it off, chopping off it's wings and other appendages.

Meanwhile, at the other battle site...

The Captain is caught and slammed onto a mushroom tree, his spine broken. Half of the squad is now unable to fight, and another soldier soon falls unconscious with his limbs broken, only two soldiers remain to fight the beast.

A good clean hit by the beast, and one of them falls unconscious, the last one tries his very best against the foe but is unable to do harm to it while taking hits himself, glancing from mortal damage but finally he too is cornered, and with two punches, the first one nearly cracks his skull while the second one completes the job.

The defenders have fallen.

The beast had decided to add insult to injury, snatching masterpiece steel greaves from one of our soldiers and beating the rest to paste with it. Tuss would be rolling in his grave right now, if he wasn't dead.

At the moment, the beast is rampaging through the fort, unstoppable. Over fifty dwarves have fallen to the steel greaves it is wielding and bashing with, and more keep dying.

Carptank just bled to death, and while this all is going on, a group of kobold ambushers attack and shank a few dwarves before retreating.

Also, two artifacts were stolen.

One was a tunnel tube scepter, the other was some amulet. Those kobolds are going to be rich, rich like KINGS!
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Jun 11 2010, 01:10 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Posted Image

And that's it. Because our soldiers almost all kicked the bucket, we all kicked the bucket. By getting beaten to death with a pair of steel greaves.

All hundred and fifty or so kills.

How lovely.

NEXT UP

DYNAMI KOBOLD CAMP.
YEAAAAAAAAAAARGH

STAY TUNED/CALL FOR WHAT JOBS YOU WANT YOUR KUBBO TO HAVE

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bigger Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Cody of Outline
Administration and Moderator List Replies to your topics Active topics Top 10 posters today Top 10 overall posters