Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Paxia is dead.
Long live Paxia!

If you're a returning or new member and you're wondering where everyone is, look for us on the Paxian Private Forums (click here).

You have entered the Dynami Hive, intentionally or not, welcome.

Just don't mess up anything and take off those shoes.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dynami Fortress DX; Or as in DFDX, sounds fancy eh?
Topic Started: Jan 18 2010, 05:55 PM (3,466 Views)
Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Something bad happened in Paxia? I did it.
This is a placeholder thread. For what?
For the new version of DF, silly.

The new version is going to bring so many updates that it's not even funny, it's ridiculous.

To list the most amusing ones:

- Military structure received an update regarding sparring, and uniform. No longer will your dorfs simply grab a steel weapon and chop each other to pieces, no, when sparring they will grab actual sparring weapons! Hopefully injuries will be kept to a minimum.
- Along that, a skilled military dorf is now able to teach other dorfs who have the same weapon set. Finally, proper use for all those legendary soldiers.
- Creature's now have actual body layers, meaning those arrows no longer do magic attacks where multiple vital organs are pierced in one hit.
- Burrows are in game! They are zones you can designate where either your civilians evacuate during an attack, or your soldiers will know to rush over to defend when enemy units step into the area.
- Horn, ivory and all other decorative items that the 40d version lacks are now back! Woe to those who need ivory for their moods.
- Doctors and hospitals! You can have a dorf look after injured dorfs, meaning from splints for broken bones, to amputation of infected limbs is now in! Also, Dabbling Surgeon. Oh snaps!
- Dorfs are now more active when it comes to rescuing injured dorfs. and even soldiers are able to perform first aid in battlefield to lessen the risk of bleeding to death before help gets there.
- Poisons are now ingame. Hooray! More horrible ways for your dorfs to die!
- Underground features are getting a HUGE update. Caverns now can span through the entire world in one huge complex system, and are populated by animalmen who may attack your fort, should you have an open access to the cave.
- There are "forgotten beasts" for each layer of UG features you stumble upon, randomized creatures who may or may not be dangerous. Some might actually be friendly, others indifferent. Apparently. Depends if that part got in the game or not, can't remember.
- Megabeasts got a horrible update. Meaning they again survive worldgen, and you end up reading of beasts with kill counts in the hundreds.
- Magma is ALWAYS going to be in the very lowest of layer, even if you are not in an area with a magma pipe or pool.
- HFS is updated, apparently. How, I don't know. Is it going to be bad? Probably. Is our first community fort going to be on a HFS area? You bet.
- Civ's can now bring along war beasts, if someone important of their civ tamed them in the past. For example, the human's get angry because their trade liaison was shot by goblins when he/she visited your fort, and next year, they show up with dozens of soldiers, all accompanied by giant tigers and/or lions and you get the idea.
- Goblin society is more violent than ever. They respect those with power, and demons will be forced to kill for their loyalty. Other goblins, however, can do the same.
- Goblins obtain their structure over the course of world generation. For instance, demons are not hardcoded as leaders, and must earn their position. Fun is assured.
- Fort areas in the new version will no longer have 15-z levels as default, but 50+. I recall 150 was mentioned somewhere. It's editable in worldgen settings, so yeah.

With the above done, it's time to get ready!
Do I know when the new version is coming out? No.
However, I do know that Toady is about done with all the things he wants to put in the new version, and after they're in, all the remains are bugfixes and such. So a month, two at tops?

Regardless! The moment the new version is out, we're starting a new community fort!

And this time, I will guarantee that I have no idea what our dorfs will find! Especially due to those RNG beasts!

The fort will be placed on a site with either an access to the cave systems below, or we'll dig our way down there, and set up camp! From there, begins a slow advance on the area surrounding us, not to mention getting to magma so we can have some delicious molten rock to fuel our horrible forges of mass destruction!

Anyway.

Seven spots open, profession's you can pick are listed here.

Crazy ideas are welcome, although I will again mention that I have no idea what we will find. Like, if we find out that the place we just mined into to make home for the seven dorfs is home to a seven legged spider dinosaur that breathes fire and eats poison. And it's angry.

So yeah.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fishtank
Member Avatar
"a rogue element" -SIGMUND
I want to be an engraver so I can detail all our horrible misadventures.

Uncle Dessy
Member Avatar
Inhibitor of Dual Failure.
Urist McTroll, Soapmaker.
Hating you unappreciative maggots even more with every new degrading post, Your Magnificent Ruler,

Dee Ess II, Troll-Emperor of Dynami. XOXO

Tuss
Member Avatar
Trainer Unique Sub System Units
Tuss, Kamikaze.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
WRESTLER IT IS.
Quote:

Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

All hail our robotic overlord, King of the World, Gorobei.

Lord Crepe
Member Avatar
Ain't I a cool cat?
Herbalist for meh
Posted Image
Posted Image

DigDog
Member Avatar
Pantsman
WOOD CUTTER.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Two spots open, people.

Why am I posting about this after a few months?

Because apparently Toady now has only a few bugs to squish.
WE'VE COME THIS FAR.

While we wait, let us gander at this human outpost I made up during the weekend due to "WHERE'S THE NEW VERSION, OH GAWD".

Posted Image
Quote:

Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

Tuss
Member Avatar
I wouldn't think puting that tall cross-tower on a bridge would be a good idea.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
It's not a bridge. That there is a small piece of ground that just resembles a bridge.
Quote:

Tuss
Member Avatar
Oh. That's good.

DigDog
Member Avatar
Pantsman
Which also just happens to be above water. But that has nothing to do with it at all.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
It's a spot of land on the ocean. The strip of land is just PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.

I originally used it for fishing. Then I decided to build a grave-tower in it. I'll add extra "pedals" on the higher floors when needed.
Quote:

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
ITS OUT
ITS OUT
ITS OUT

FORT STARTS TONIGHT

STRIKE
THE
EARTH

YEAAAAAAARIJOASRIJASDIJLASDLNADLNASDJNADSAS
Quote:

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
In the year 650 something, seven brave dorfs set out on orders to bring glory and fortune to their people.

A new Mountainhome was about time to get made, and these seven would be the ones to lay its foundations.

Armed with a pick, axe, and anvil, they set off into the wilds, these brave fools out to STRIKE THE EARTH with all their might.

They called themselves "Odrozunib Thos", or as the humans would know of them, The Fatal Rag of Bunches.

There was Iebor, the Miner and Mason of the group.

Fishtank, the famed Engraver and tap-dancer.

Urist Mctroll, the Soaper no one else would hire.

Tuss, the hired muscle, able Wrestler and all-around cool guy.

Lord Crepe, Herbalist extraordinaire.

DigDog, the Woodcutter and Lumberjack. Wait, those are the same thing.

And finally, Adrian the Carpenter.

And without further interruptions, let us be off.

TO ADVENTURE

Posted Image
Edited by Liveman Ieb, Apr 1 2010, 02:56 PM.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
BEFORE ANYONE ASKS
The tilesets are borked at the moment. Give it a few days until the modders fix 'em and we'll have proper dorf graphics again.

Posted Image

Year, 659.

So far so good.

Posted Image

A bunch of skeletal groundhogs arrived, and now everyone is kung fu fighting against them.

...and after a week, the groundhogs weren't going down, but everyone was getting thirsty, cranky and angry.

ABANDONED.

New fort to be made, same name, same people.
Tuss gets proper gear to fight off skeletal horrors for us.

Tuss
Member Avatar
Word.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Let's try this again. Same jobs. Same fort name.
DORF LIST HERE
Ieborog.
Fishtank.
Urist McTroll.
Tuss.
Lord Crepe.
DigDog.
ADRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

So once again we embark.

A month passes with little trouble, zombie groundhogs gracefully lurk over the mountain on top of the fort's entrance.

Posted Image
Pressure is on Ieborog to make the trade depot tunnel ready and usable, which she both has failed to do so far.

But finally, she succeeds.

Posted Image

It is time to return to the underground and start their way towards a proper settling area.

Posted Image

Oh what wonders will they find?

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Posted Image
Oh. My. Urist.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Ieborog's journal
I had heard stories about the underground and the caverns. That they were just like the outside world, dangerous, but wonderful(I sound like an elf saying that, bah). And I must agree, it certainly is an experience down here.

I couldn't believe my eyes when the wall crumbled and the cavern opened up to me. Muddy ground, plants that I hadn't ever seen before sprouting from it. And all the ore, gold, silver, there was a lot of it no matter where I looked.

I discovered a second cavern opening on my way up, but only took a few steps when I saw something at the far end of the new cavern.

Giant cave spider webs. I was certain of it.

So, I did what was the best thing to do. Quietly stepped back, and sealed the cavern off with a few large boulders. For the time being, no one's allowed entry there. That spider won't figure out a way to us from somewhere, right?

Lord Crepe's journal:
Oh my, look at all these things! What's that, what are those!? Oh, it'll take days for me to simply survey all the things growing here! I'm fairly sure some of them are edible too.

DigDog's journal:
Huh. So there are other trees besides towercaps underground. Well, they all fall down the same, right? More work for me.

Fishtank's journal:
Is that gold I see? I WANT MY ROOM THERE, SHUT UP IEBOROG AND MINE.

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Okay.

So far, I'm very impressed about what the new version has brought. The underground caverns are awesome, and the discovery thing where you have to move your dorfs somewhere to see new areas is nifty as well.

There's bugs too though, and those will have to get sorted out before this really will shine.

For one, severing attacks don't seem to work. This caused the first fort to die, because even when all seven of our dorfs were able to bash the skeletal groundhogs almost to oblivion(all body parts in the RED) they still kept on fighting. Some guy already had a fort end up destroyed because the dorfs kept fighting until dehydration or starvation got them.

Adventure mode is currently extremely difficult. A simple cut can cause you to BLEED TO DEATH because you can't stop it, even if it's a cut to the lip.

Skeletal creatures are about immortal, you can't stop them since they won't sever. Or maybe a skilled enough dorf with good enough weapon can kill them, yet to get a weaponsmith who can make good weapons so that's up to testing.

The military system is WAY different from the last version, and it'll take a while to get used to. Some guy said dorfs weren't picking up their gear that was issued to them despite the items being there.

Cloth usage is borked. The game seems to think you need 10k cloth pieces to make a single bag, and 15k threads to make one cloth.

A mooded dorf apparently demanded for body parts. Those can be created though, one way or another, so that's solvable, I figure, against living opponents or just dropping your animals from high enough down a pit.

Channeling creates ramps.

Nothing rots, pieces and dead vermin must be collected and disposed of some other way than throwing them in a refuse stockpile. I was thinking of using atom-smashers for that until it's fixed.

But hey, bugs are a fun thing at times, annoyance at other times. The cloth and thread thing is going to be troubling, but I could just buy clothing and bags from merchants, I figure.

I've yet to hit a bug that totally kills me, except for skeletal creatures, but I'm hoping that won't be too much of an issue.

Migrants also can show up with skills up to High Master in metalworking, and social skills can be up to LEGENDARY. Sort of nice, I figure. No longer do you need to train people all the way up those levels by default, although you might get a fish dissector who's also a really good metalcrafter, so you have to actually pay attention to what your migrants can do and then give them the appropriate jobs. At least mooders will have easier time, if that fish cleaner you have already knows metalworking, they will go straight to the forges and all will be well.

Will need to check how fish cleaning is, apparently cooking at the moment is broken, with items brought to the shop staying there with the dorf unable to make food, and if cancelled, the items are stuck in the shop until it's deconstructed. I can just not make food, so that's again not a problem.

There's vermin meat and brains and so on available upon embark. Not sure if it's intended or not, but maybe it just means animal dissectors finally have use in a fort.

Soap making is apparently borked somehow, at least with lye. Will need to test if I'm able to make soap from tallow, or if fat processing is broken as well.

The arena is a fun thing. I sicked a lot of elves and dorfs clad in adamantine to kill each other, along bronze colossi fighting one another.

And the sever-bug really makes the colossi nearly indestroyable. Against each other, they were tearing off toes and ears and whatever, and despite having lost limbs and broken body parts all over, they kept on going.

I also confirmed that upon death, colossi will drop a statue that's not a default statue like it was in the previous version. However, one colossi ended up as a statue of a "rutherer", whatever that is, and another, a sunfish statue.

It wouldn't be so bad, except the sunfish statue dropping colossi also had hands and limbs like the rest of them, so what, was it a bronze statue brought to life, of a FISH, that also had limbs? Nice addition regardless. Despite being slightly "what".

Farming ONLY works if you have mud from what I've read. Just soil doesn't do at the moment, despite the game saying so, you must muddy up the soil tiles too, although if that is a bug, it may get fixed. Although in 2D, it was a MUST to have mud to be able to farm underground, and that required water on stone tiles.

Military things are confusing like I said. I was able to get Tuss to pick up the steel hammer, and even have him as a soldier for a while for him to pick it up and stand guard while mining underground was done.

The site so far has had a few groundhog zombies. Will have to test at some point, or at least observe if merchant guards will fight and destroy zombies, or if zombies are as immortal as skeletal creatures at the moment.

Underground, I've yet to find living things. The area is sinister, or was it merely haunted, so we'll see if UG civ's will show up as zombies or skeletons like the things above ground, or if UG are unaffected by the surrounding biomes.

I figure they will be alive, since after 2D dorf fort ended, destroyed civ sites didn't no longer have undead within 'em, so I figure all civ's just show up as living things.

Apparently "semi-molten rock" walls seal off magma seas, and they're an indication where exactly you will find your source of magma. DS found like, was it 40 levels, where the semi-molten rock went downwards, and confirmed that his magma ocean was just as deep. So there is a LOT of magma available in this version. That's nice.

Ieborog decided to go take a nap, in some other guys room after he already had a room of his own designated. Not sure if this is a bug, or if he pathed to take a nap there before I gave that particular bed to the dorf. It's not a big issue, just odd, regardless if it's a bug or not.

Wooden gear, shields and weapons, are nearly useless from the look of things. Some guy said that despite bashing at a sleeping guy with a wooden shield with an elf adventurer, there was no damage being dealt. Maybe he wasn't just strong enough, or maybe the new damage system is still a bit borked. Metal is the way to go anyway, what kind of idiot uses wooden weapons to fight with, not train with?

Dorfs can now use ALL weapons that the game has. So if you want to create a bunch of stabbers, clad in leather, you can. We'll call them the Rogue Squad.

Hunting is borked, migrant hunters will only start hunting once you manually go to their job preferences, and remove and then enable Hunting. However, they seem to have trouble bringing in their kills to butcher shops. Not sure if it's a bug or not, since I've yet to see it myself. Maybe the guy just had outside corpse hauling disabled and didn't figure it out himself?

So in conclusion, the game currently is buggy. But that's part of the fun, because it means at some point, we all WILL die horribly!

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Okay, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I got the graphics working.
I forgot that the new version stores raw files into the save folder itself, and uses those instead of the ones in the default raw folder. This allows for a player to have more than one mod playable.

Anyway.

It's late Autumn, and suddenly, traders showed up. Only mules, I don't know if this is because the fort is new, or what.

Hopefully they make it to the fort itself.

Fort building is going rather decently.
We've had 2 migrant waves, one of 4 people, other had 3 people. At the moment their skills are whatever, we need stockpilers and so on more than actual workers.

Posted Image

Our workshops don't look pretty, but I just want some basic fort going on, and don't really care too much how it looks.

Got farms up too. How nice, isn't it? Also, alcohol making is NOT bugged. HOORAY!

Posted Image

Here's our statue gardens. Yes, two of them.

Besides the statues of dogs, cave spiders and giant bats, Ieborog really likes making statues of some humans travelling. Apparently they're some animal-trainers or something, at least reading of the journeys to plains, hills and so on.

Posted Image

Here's our future dining hall. It's a work in progress though. Need some tables and chairs, but Ieb is busy making those so all is well.

Posted Image

And finally, here's my last current building project. The military wing. It starts going up on one of the stone pillars that rises on the current fort area and will include both a training area, along military rooms. It'll house 40 people at max, which is going to be the limit for the army I aim to create with this fort, if we ever get that far.

Posted Image

I spotted the first underground creatures a while back, a bunch of zombie flesh balls. They're currently content at hanging around the underground lake further from the fort, so they're not a problem at the moment.

And we just traded a bunch of crappy stone crafts for some meat and booze. Hooray.

Next up on my list of stuff that HAS to be done:

Stockpile rooms. Everything is currently just laying on the cavern floor, and it doesn't look pretty.

I want it to look pretty!

Start a military ASAP.

Figure out how military works again in this version ASAP.

Try not to die in an uninteresting way.

Find some MAGMA! FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Hurm. I wonder if this is good.

Lord Crepe
Member Avatar
Ain't I a cool cat?
Groovy
Posted Image
Posted Image

Liveman Ieb
Member Avatar
Few things happened this season.

For one, I found magma. A magma SEA.

And adamantine.

BRACE FOR INCOMING QUEEN!

Other things...

Migrants. A bunch of them. Fort populace at the moment is 36.

A carpenter pretty much instantly got possessed, got to a shop and from one log, made THIS THING.

Posted Image

This fort might get insanely interesting fast if the Queen shows up too early. We need some new super rooms. : (

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bigger Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Cody of Outline
Administration and Moderator List Replies to your topics Active topics Top 10 posters today Top 10 overall posters