Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cloud x Aerith forums! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The End to Cloudís Story
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 03:19 AM (399 Views)
Chocobro
Member Avatar
New, but Long-Time Guest
So, this is something Iíve been thinking of for quite some time and decided to post a topic about it to discuss it further. Ever since the ending of the original game, there has been great significance about Cloud realizing that the Promised Land will be the place where he can find Aerith. This has been a then for Cloud and Clerith in general, but especially recently with the release of Dissidia and Mobius, it seems to hold an even greater impact now then it did back when the game was originally released. When I ask myself why? The answer seems pretty clear - Cloud reuniting with Aerith in the Promised Land is the definitive ending to his story, not just because it means his death, but itís something that carries the sort of significant weight for his character, Clerith and the overall themes of FFVII to really present a satisfying ending.

This is something I think weíll see in the remake, but more on that in a bit.

Ever since the original gameís ending where Cloud finally receives an answer from the planet, a place where he could reunite with Aerith, itís been a recurring plot/theme of Cloudís. One of the major themes that Clerith shares throughout all their appearances is that Cloud is always looking to find Aerith. This is seen in the OG, novellas and AC, KH, Dissidia, Mobius, even in the silly Itadaki Street Special opening scene where Cloud is literally running after Aerith. Even the FFVII Remake trailer references the Promised Land with Aerith symbolism.

Itís sort of become Clerithís Ďthemeí given how far and how many different appearances this theme has been carried over to different games and universes. Itís unique that Clerith is the primary FF couple that has had their theme carried over into so many games over the last twenty years and I think it all ties directly into Cloudís lines at the end of the game - and itís all about his search to find and be with Aerith again.

Especially recently, Cloudís search for the Promised Land seems more prominent than ever, after the way Cloud talks about it in Mobius and how S-E has really been reinforcing that Cloud and Aerithís Promised Land is shared. I think with the Remake coming up, it gives S-E the ability to close out the compilation with this final installment of the remake (okay, maybe itís just wishful thinking on my part, but Iíd hope after the release of the remake, Square puts and end to the VII compilation and continues on with new titles while utilizing things like Dissidia to showcase their older games/characters.)

if this is the final end to FFVII, I think Cloud and Aerith reuniting in the Promised Land holds the significant weight to end the story on an amazing note. Like, itís something that was over twenty years in the making and it would perfectly tie in Cloudís line of ďAn answer from the Planet. The Promised Land, I think I can meet her thereĒ and Aerithís line of ďIíll come back when itís all over.Ē It just feels like a powerful, true ending to a Final Fantasy game.

Of course, Iíve seen Clotis say they want the remake to end with Cloud and Tifa holding hands and walking off into the sunset, but like...wouldnít that be an incredibly underwhelming ending to the game?? Think of the entire plot of VII, Cloud and Tifa donít really get any significant development until 85% through it and when they do, itís about their crappy past with the Nibelheim incident. To the vast majority of people anticipating this game, the ones not in this crazy fandom on tumblr or message boards, that just doesnít feel like a satisfying ending to the overall story and thatís reflective of Cloud and Tifaís story - itís just not enough to really deliver the powerful ending VII needs. Besides, Cloud and Tifa skipping off into the sunset is entirely out of character for both of them and also not how their friendship progresses, given Cloudís desire to want to find and be with Aerith.

To me, the definitive ending would be post-credits, a final secret scene of Cloud floating through the Lifestream (referencing that heís now returning to the planet), heíd appear in a flower field and then Aerith would appear and the two would be reunited forever. Maybe even a kiss or the greatest embrace ever seen in cinematic history. This has the sort of powerful impact that really closes the story on a strong, full-circle note and is reminiscent to that of the endings of FFX and FFXV, with Tidus and Yuna being reunited, as well as Noctis and Luna. Given that these two couples were heavily influenced from Clerith, I say Cloud and Aerithís reunion in the Promised Land is a given ending. :cleris:

Sorry for the long rambling, a lot to discuss. What are your thoughts? What do you hope to see?
Edited by Chocobro, Jan 12 2018, 03:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kiso
Member Avatar
If they hadn't already used the Titanic like ending for NoctisxLuna my bet for the final FFVII scene would have been something similar to this. A short new sequence for Cloud and Aerith after the last scenes implying Cloud joining Aerith in the afterlife.
Perhaps they do want to make a parallel though so a similar scene for Clerith might even be very possible.

athrunchan
Member Avatar
I've always thought the same. Cloud's story in every single games ever since FFVII OG has always been about him trying to find his Promised Land in which he can meet Aerith, even after AC.

Prior to DoC, Clotis always spread bs that Cloud had moved on romantically from Aerith and definitely got married with Tifa, but look at what SQEN did in DoC and every single games that Cloud and Aerith took part afterwards lol. Not only they made Tifa stayed as "a great friend" and instead paired Cloud and Aerith together over and over again, Cloud is shown to still search for his Promised Land.

Those consistent theme for Cloud, and that tweet that Moogle account tweeted right when they're about to announce the Remake's development about "a reunion in the Promised Land!", I'm almost 100% positive that SQEN will show us how Cloud truly and finally met Aerith in the end, thus closing his story once and for all. My only worry was how they'd do that after they had made the Titanic-like ending of Noctis and Luna in FFXV? Wouldn't it be too similar?

I hope they'll truly put an ending to Cloud's story with him reuniting with her, no subtle implying or whatever.

Myko
Member Avatar
Hopeless Romantic
You know.... I'm wondering if the NoctLuna ending in FFXV was like.... testing the waters to see how their audience would react to that type of reunion. Sort of like a prelude to what would, undoubtedly, be Cloud's epilogue.

OOH! What if you get it like a secret ending only if you do specific things?

The possibilities!

colbie
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Myko
Jan 20 2018, 08:46 AM
You know.... I'm wondering if the NoctLuna ending in FFXV was like.... testing the waters to see how their audience would react to that type of reunion. Sort of like a prelude to what would, undoubtedly, be Cloud's epilogue.

The possibilities!

Then it's not very good news, because yaoi fangirls on Tumblr are now trying to say that the NoctLuna ending is no longer canon.

they don't call themselves yaoi fangirls but they are.

Myko
Member Avatar
Hopeless Romantic
colbie
Jan 20 2018, 09:48 AM
Then it's not very good news, because yaoi fangirls on Tumblr are now trying to say that the NoctLuna ending is no longer canon.

Ugh... Tumblr. It's those types of fans that keep me away from getting back onto Tumblr. In general, I haven't run into fanatics irl in regards to FFXV, or on Facebook.

Anyway, I was only speculating. I started that game resenting NoctLuna as a couple (they feel like siblings to me), but after I saw the ending it was difficult to deny it.

Chocobro
Member Avatar
New, but Long-Time Guest
Ugh, I know. I actually enjoy NoctLuna (mainly because of all the Clerith parallels), but I tend to enjoy Noctisí relationship with the boys because I think their dynamics are all the more fully fleshed out and explored. Thatís where NoctLuna falls flat, in my opinion.

I think a lot of this started after Episode Ignis was released. Given the way Ignis treats Noct and the sacrifices heís made for him, it definitely became a NoctLuna vs. IgNoct situation. As someone who appreciates all ships of FFXV, romantic or not, it definitely reads as Ignis having a deep respect and care for Noct, maybe even in the romantic sense, but with the ending of the game itself, itís rather undeniable that Noct and Luna donít love each other, as itís their reunion and wedding in the afterlife.

But we all know how fandoms can be, a bit of fan service for anything and it can be stretched into ďCANON!!1!Ē

Edit: Also, I think Tumblr is rather meh in general. Some real wackos that shouldnít have computer access there. Thank god they donít speak for the overall population that just enjoys the game as it is.
Edited by Chocobro, Jan 20 2018, 11:56 AM.

linaerith
Member Avatar
In our Promised Land...
colbie
Myko

The possibilities!

I hope the Farewell Exhbit, with the Chocobros in the Noctluna wedding, pulled them back to reality lol

athrunchan
Member Avatar
linaerith
Jan 25 2018, 10:52 AM
colbie
Myko

The possibilities!

I hope the Farewell Exhbit, with the Chocobros in the Noctluna wedding, pulled them back to reality lol
I wish CT fans will be pulled to reality too by the FF30th Exhibition :cleris:
colbie
Myko

The possibilities!

Well I like Noct's relationship with the chocobros, but no one can actually deny the canonity of NoctLun, no matter how poor the execution of that relationship was.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Cloud x Aerith's Love · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates
.: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :.