Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cloud x Aerith forums! We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Distant Worlds - FF Jiritsu; my own non-VIP fan acct of the event (Singapore)
Topic Started: Oct 23 2017, 04:35 PM (523 Views)
wordsmith
Member Avatar
I went to the 30th-anniversary tour of Distant Worlds in Singapore, I'd just like to say that while this is my first DW concert, I've watched the other concerts (non-Jiritsu ones) via Youtube and I think it's safe for me to say that this one was quite special, even though I'm not part of the VIP.

Firstly, the set list:

SET LIST

Prelude
Battle at the Big Bridge (FFV)
Victory Theme
The Oath (FFVIII)
Flash of Steel (FFXII)
Searching for Friends (FFVI)
Fang's Theme (FFXIII)
Theme of Love (FFIV)
Cosmo Canyon (FFVII)
You're Not Alone (FFIX)
Apocalypsis Noctis (FFXV)
Liberi Fatali (FFVIII)

/ I N T E R M I S S I O N /

Opening - Bombing Mission (FFVII)
Somnus (Instrumental) (FFXV)
Torn from the Heavens (FFXIV)
Cinco de Chocobo (FFVII)
Hymn of the Fayth - Zanarkand (FFX)
The Opera - "Maria and Draco" (FFVI)
Theme of Final Fantasy (credits)

/ E N C O R E /

Aerith's Theme (FFVII)
One-Winged Angel (FFVII)

There were quite a lot of new compositions played, and surprisingly there's only one FFXIII song in here XD Anyhow, here were my thoughts/rambles:

1. The Cosmo Canyon rendition was amazing, it gave me shivers and actually look forward to the Remake. The montage for this piece focuses on Red XIII, mashed with scenes from AC and VII (particularly the Cosmo Canyon story lol). There's a bit of special focus of Aerith in this piece too, when they were learning about the Planet from Bugenhagen. Anyway, really loved this piece! <3 Roth also openly urged to Square and Tanaka (a SE staff present there) to hurry up with the Remake. Lol.

2. Ofc I ended up crying over You're Not Alone. Even though I like the original version than this one.

3. I'm on the wagon that I think Somnus is one of the weakest songs in FFXV OST (there are a lot of good, underrated ones and I definitely loved Apocalypsis Noctis and Lacrima more), but we got treated to Arnie Roth playing the violin melody for this, while still conducting the orchestra. What a great man.

4. Bombing Mission opens with Aerith's face (the iconic OG opening lol), then afterward is an extended trailer version of the FF7:R. Nothing much new, just Barret, Cloud, Jessie, Biggs, Wedge shown there. Square's really keeping the suspense for Aerith, methinks. Cinco de Chocobo was for lulz among us the audience.

5. I don't play FFXIV ('cause it's damn expensive to keep up with it), but I'm glad the series got represented. I personally like Soken's compositions more than Hamauzu's or Shimomura's, he seems more akin to Uematsu too.

6. The Opera. Oh God The Opera, this was the highlight of the whole concert!!!!! :fangirl: They got three vocalists and a narrator for this. It was beautiful, and the live DW Jiritsu concert is an extended one compared to the album version.

7. After the opera the credits began to roll with Theme of Final Fantasy. Roth then comes back for the encore. Tbh, I was 50/50 on whether or not they'll be playing Aerith's theme, since I heard it got omitted in the Sydney tour. Roth said to us "oh, but we did prepare a special surprise for you. Here it is." and they proceeded to play Aerith's Theme. Funny and touching enough, I heard quite a few people gasp during the first few notes, and a lot more gasps when the the montage begins (it begins with Cloud and Aerith meeting at the church). Kinda all went silent from there, and I was just too emotional already lol. As far as I know there wasn't anything new with the montage, but it focused so much around Cloud and Aerith's relationship.

8. Roth said to us earlier during the concert that some tracks are considered 'classics' that they should also be part of every DW tour. I highly believe One Winged Angel is one of those songs. Everyone was so familiar with it ofc, Roth asked the audience to "help" the choir sing that "one word". LMAO. Saw a clerith scene in the OWA montage btw, the one where they're back-to-back in AC with the flower fields, and Aerith touching Cloud's arm. Tifa was shown fighting with Loz, and a scene of her with AVALANCHE.

9. Songs I wished they also played: Roses of May, Terra's Theme, Vamo'alla Flamenco, Answers

As for merchandise, they sold Moogle and Chocobo plushies at limited stock. Didn't get to buy one, but I did purchase a shirt, FFIX, FFXIV OSTs and the DW FF Art Booklet. I was eligible to get the Composers' Selection CD and a tote bag. The Composers' Selection has a few commentaries from all FF composers (w/autographs), from Uematsu to Shimomura, and the songs they specially made. Uematsu picked Zanarkand.

The Art Booklet isn't exactly an "art booklet" despite what the merch stand said lol, it was more like a commemorative book/guide to FF music and the composers. It has some descriptions about each composer, then followed by summaries/synopses of each FF game (with three photos to represent each game, mostly featuring iconic or important moments/characters).

For FF7 (the book pages are extremely glossy and most of the text are really grey): https://imgur.com/wksb8UV

Overall it was a great, memorable experience for a lifetime, and I'm glad to have been there. ^_^ and for my clerith heart, I know DW already known to be C/A-ish, but it was really reassuring that Aerith continues to be the beloved, both to Cloud and the fans, especially in a rare moment such as the 30th anniversary.
Edited by wordsmith, Oct 23 2017, 04:45 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moana
Member Avatar
I am Moana of Motunui. I will board my boat, sail across the ocean, and restore the heart of Te Fiti
Oh wow, I'm so envious.

Sounds like it was awesome, I adore FF's music.
And Clerith is always good :cleris:

Kuraudo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you for posting this. It makes me so happy to see Clerith get this kind of official recognition at SE events.

I was at the concert in Phoenix last year, and not only did they not play many VII songs, they didn't play Aerith's Theme (OWA was the encore). <_< I thought it had been removed from the setlist. There was also no Uematsu appearance either! :lol: That sounds amazing!

Also, would you happen to have a clearer picture of the programme? I'm curious what the English text on the FFVII page says. After all.... there's Clerith on it. :lol:

wordsmith
Member Avatar
Kuraudo
Oct 28 2017, 02:23 PM
Thank you for posting this. It makes me so happy to see Clerith get this kind of official recognition at SE events.

I was at the concert in Phoenix last year, and not only did they not play many VII songs, they didn't play Aerith's Theme (OWA was the encore). <_< I thought it had been removed from the setlist. There was also no Uematsu appearance either! :lol: That sounds amazing!

Also, would you happen to have a clearer picture of the programme? I'm curious what the English text on the FFVII page says. After all.... there's Clerith on it. :lol:
Seems like OWA is a fixed song in DW, but I've heard lots of fans really didn't like the omission of Aerith's Theme. I think the first tour for the 30th anniv (Sydney) didn't have Aerith's Theme. The second stop (Chicago) included it in the encore though, and has been played since then. I'm super glad.. because I flew all the way to SG for this. :blush:

As for the text, sorry if my earlier photo was blurry (already scanned it but it was still blurry so I just captured the texts with my phone). Click the photo for a better quality/version:

The HEADER for the FFVII page:

Posted Image

Text:

...Aerith. She was smiling to the end. We can't just let it end with that smile. We have to do something.

The English body text:

Posted Image

Text:

The night skies of Midgar are lit with a new energy -- Mako. Yet in this city of technological wonder, its skyline dominated by immense headquarters of the Shinra Electric Power Company, rebeliion is stirring. Members of the anti-Shinra organization AVALANCHE storm their way into one of the town's massive Mako reactors, with fire in their hearts and bomb in their hands. Only one of their number remains cool -- Cloud, once a member of Shinra's elite fighting force SOLDIER, fights only for coin, and pays no heed to the ideological zeal of AVALANCHE's hot-headed leader, Barret.

Mako Energy is a new, indespensable source of power. Growing into an immense corporation almost overnight, the Shinra Company rules the world with its control over the flow of this valuable resource. But Mako energy is drawn directly from the lifestream of Gaia, and its use is slowly killing the planet. Seeing the destruction and misery brought about by the company's relentless expansion, more and more flock to the anti-Shinra cause, to save the Planet from the company's greedy clutches.

Cloud's heart is closed to this struggle, until fate contrives to spur him into action. He meets Aerith, one of the last remaining Ancients who can hear the groans of the dying world, and learns the return of his fallen hero Sephiroth, now scheming to accelarate the world's destruction. And so Cloud join forces with the rebels and sets out his pursuit of his former master, -- the man whose madness destroyed his hometown. But during the journey, the troubled mercenary is forced to confront the truth he has been unconsciously avoiding. What makes him who he is? What is he really fighting for? Cloud's mind is plagued by unanswered questions as he and his friends fight the battle for Gaia's future.

The JP one (in case some of you want to translate this from the vernacular itself):

Posted Image

It's more like a spoiler-free summary (the same goes with the other FF descriptions), focusing mostly on hero, heroine and villain/the problem (the other FF series pages' images also mostly focus around these three characters). The descriptions on all FFs don't talk much of romance (with the exception of FFVIII, and the "wedding" bit for FFXV). Nothing much has been said on who wrote this, but it bears the Square-Enix logo at the back. :) Hope this helps! I can send a link of the whole thing (if you don't mind the quality of my scanned copy :lol: )
Edited by wordsmith, Oct 28 2017, 05:13 PM.

Kuraudo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you for this! I love seeing Cloud and Aerith emphasized in official materials. ^_^

Myko
Member Avatar
Hopeless Romantic
*pops in here*

I went to Distant Worlds in Salt Lake City, Utah! It was a fantastic experience. They didn't play Aerith's theme, sadly, but they did play Terra's. That was lovely.

Of course, One Winged Angel was included, and they had that same scene of Cloud and Aerith in the flower field.

Ps, my favorite song they performed was Liberi Fatali. It gave me literal goosebumps. It was amazing. (also cosplayed Princess Garnet to it with my friend as Zidane)

pandatumble
I bought tickets to the Vancouver show for the summer! I'm so excited, I really hope there will be some sort of vocal :3

pandatumble
I just went yesterday and it was goood though we totally droppped the ball with the SEPHIROTH singing :<. No Aeris's theme in the encore. I got the artbook too though :3 good stuff.

« Previous Topic · Square-Enix · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Affiliates
.: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :.