Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
French dagger
Topic Started: Jul 18 2017, 05:41 PM (175 Views)
D.Beauland
[ * ]
Hi,
I'm a bit puzzled about this one. It is supposed to be a final bronze dagger found in the river Yonne near the city of Sens in France, but I've never seen that kind of artefact in the erea.
Does anybody knows about this type of tang and spacers style daggers?

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Geez.. Kind of actually looks a little Chinese!

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I've learned that if an artifact like this one looks out of place, it probably is. I don't recognize this dagger style from any culture though. So it could be a local oddity. But I wouldn't trust the description of the find spot. It could just as well be a middle eastern dagger that ended up with the wrong description, either falsified or by accidental mix-up. Another such example is a sword in one of the Prahistorische Bronzefunde series on German swords, where one sword is very clearly a Chinese warring states sword, but described as a local one found in a German bog. A lot of artifacts in European museums got there through antiques dealers, and they haven't always been very precise or honest with the provenance of the artifacts.

D.Beauland
[ * ]
After contact with the Museum, here are some clues:

Item n41
http://www.k-upload.fr/afficher-fichier-20...ustden.pdf.html
http://www.k-upload.fr/afficher-fichier-20...200421.pdf.html

-"Found near a circular enclosure in a gravel pit."
- Some "look alike" daggers found in nothern Italy.
- MONTELIUS 1895
- MULLER KARPE 1959

In my opinion it looks like a failed casting of a sword wich has been reworked to make it
a dagger ( you can see the odd shape of the tang in the second link). This is why it seems so unusual.

« Previous Topic · European Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply