Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ian Morris paper on the lower city at Troy
Topic Started: Jul 14 2017, 09:59 AM (165 Views)
Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
https://www.princeton.edu/~pswpc/pdfs/morris/120506.pdf

Pretty reasonable suggestions about what would be needed to clinch the case for a large lower city and a bureaucracy. Maybe some of those things have been published in the last decade, I don't know. I don't follow the dig at Troy but I am sure that all the coups and counter-coups make it complicated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks! When I walked around the lower city with Giannis we had trouble envisioning the space in any given era, because everything was mashed up quite nicely. However, it is clear that the place was quite large. My main take-away thought from this article is that Homer needs to be used a bit less when considering the ruins, and that the archaeologists just need to do their thing and present the world with basic statistical analysis of the site. There is far too much conjecture when it comes to throwing literary references around, as interesting as that may be!

-Gregory

Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Gregory J. Liebau,Jul 25 2017
02:05 PM
There is far too much conjecture when it comes to throwing literary references around, as interesting as that may be!

Sensationalism is the only way to get dig grants for these large projects.

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply