Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I made Bronze!; Can't believe it actually worked!
Topic Started: Jun 20 2017, 03:57 PM (220 Views)
vinny.potter
[ * ]
So at the weekend I tried my first smelt. I dug a pit, filled it with charcoal and added malachite and tin oxide and now have some lovely Bronze!
I've added my photos to a blog. Feel free to have a look if you are interested.
https://bronzeagesmelting.wordpress.com

I managed to make around half a kilo of bronze using just under 2kg or ore. looking at Jeroen's previous posts, it looks like this is less than I could expect (potentially I should have had around 600g ish). Presumably my "hole in the ground" furnace is less efficient than the chimney type furnace Jeroen used, which is interesting. Or maybe it was due to the air flow, the ore or some other factor.

Next step is casting!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
WOO HOO, Congratulations!! That's darned impressive. Glad it worked, and it looks like the kids had a great time, too! No major injuries, either? Win win win!

Rest assured that we will all be watching your progress.

Matthew

Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Very cool. Keep it up.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Congratulations! :)

Brock H
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Good going! Congratulations.

vinny.potter
[ * ]
Thanks for your encouragement! It really helps.
(not many people in my social circle get excited about the bronze age or about smelting and casting etc, so it's great to know that I'm not alone in thinking this stuff is great!)

BTW, Any comments, feedback or advice would be extremely welcome. I have more Malachite and may do another smelt at some point.

In terms of casting Bronze, which method is easiest and least likely to fail? (lost wax? open casting? stone moulds? clay moulds? green sand?) I plan on trying a few methods but would like to start with the easiest.

Eric L.
[ * ]
Wow this is neat!! Nice work.

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I don't understand the part about socializing with people who don't get excited about stuff like this....

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Great job! 500 gram out of 2 kg is a very good yield. I wonder how much tin you managed to get in there. It looks quite coppery, but who knows some might have gotten in there.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
vinny.potter,Jun 22 2017
10:08 AM
In terms of casting Bronze, which method is easiest and least likely to fail? (lost wax? open casting? stone moulds? clay moulds? green sand?) I plan on trying a few methods but would like to start with the easiest.

I think I already posted a link to Bastian Asmus' site right? http://archaeometallurgie.de/

The only bronze casting I have done was lost wax in grog-and-dung moulds but we had an instructor https://bookandsword.com/2014/05/03/when-th...-like-a-mirror/

« Previous Topic · Reconstructing History · Next Topic »
Add Reply