Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Floral Collars
Topic Started: Mar 23 2017, 01:33 PM (136 Views)
Adam Cripps
[ * ]
Does anyone happen to know if floral collars like the three found in King Tut's tomb were just ceremonial/burial, only used in specific contexts (like celebrations/parties), or were they pretty common right alongside beaded collars? Not having the best of luck finding the answer to this question, so thought I would ask here.

King Tut Floral Collar

Cheers,
Adam
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Adam Cripps
[ * ]
Also, there seems to have been painted linen collars associated with mummies, but has anyone read or heard anything about painted linen collars actually being worn?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZURQIEH-ANCIENT-EG...C-/292024010903

-Adam

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
That's an interesting question! I think floral collars might have been made/worn for festivities and celebrations and flowers were apparently handed out at celebrations, so I don't think it is stretch to think floral collars were used. Of course floral collars are perishable, so they would be event specific. I'd be surprised if linen collars were used --I think they might have been used only in a funerary context, but hey, I don't really know.. :blink:

Adam Cripps
[ * ]
*deleted* See Below

Adam Cripps
[ * ]
Todd Feinman,Mar 23 2017
05:38 PM
That's an interesting question! I think floral collars might have been made/worn for festivities and celebrations and flowers were apparently handed out at celebrations, so I don't think it is stretch to think floral collars were used. Of course floral collars are perishable, so they would be event specific. I'd be surprised if linen collars were used --I think they might have been used only in a funerary context, but hey, I don't really know.. :blink:

Yeah, the floral collars probably didn't last extremely long. I was just wondering if we had written references to them anywhere, or mention of craftsmen/merchants selling them, etc. King Tut's were apparently made of flowers imported from Syria/Palestine, so possibly were a tribute item (though were stitched to a papyrus backing, so perhaps had more local manufacturing), I just wasn't sure if folks were making/wearing/replacing these things on an everyday basis in addition to their prized and more durable beaded collars. As for the painted linen, yeah the gesso'd version would not have been pleasant unless you were mummified and stiff, but I mostly mentioned it to see if there were written sources or something mentioning painted linen collars at all. They had the technology as they were painting linen shrouds without a gesso ground, and inked heiroglyphs onto clothing (laundry marks, etc), it is more a question of whether it was actually done or not for collars.

-Adam

P.S. Attached pic is a painted linen tunic (showing the technology in use) supposedly dated to circa 1275 BC, but I have not been able to find further info on it yet.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Wow! Interesting tunic... I haven't seen that before. Thanks, Adam :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Painted_Tunic_ca1275_BC_New_Kingdom_source_unknown.jpg (87.49 KB)

Adam Cripps
[ * ]
Todd Feinman,Mar 25 2017
04:28 PM
Wow! Interesting tunic... I haven't seen that before. Thanks, Adam :)

You're welcome, Todd. Part of me wonders if it was influenced by Canaanite long-sleeved tunics given the extra long and narrow sleeves (frequently depicted pleated along the arms), but it's just theory/conjecture.

-Adam

« Previous Topic · Egyptian Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply