Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spearhead Modification; Don't tell Neil...
Topic Started: Oct 8 2016, 01:07 PM (258 Views)
Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
So I've been grumpy over not having enough bronze spears, particularly Mycenaean. I have one quite nice leaf-shaped one by Chris Levatino, plus one of Neil's short fat leafblades, which is reasonable for Mycenaean but really a north-western European style. I emailed Neil about getting one or two heads from him, but never heard back. Chris has a rather nice one on his ebay store, but it's 90 bucks and I'm trying to stay on a tight budget. Might have to ask if he can sell me an unfinished one cheaper.

But I also have one of Neil's Irish basal loop heads, not the REALLY sweet lunate one but a more angular type with small rectangular holes near the base of the blade (shown here with the short fat one):

Posted Image

And finally I decided that it was kind of heavy and I was not likely to *need* a particularly Irish spearhead. So I modified it! Don't tell Neil.

Posted Image

Thinned the blade to remove the thick edges, trimmed off the base to eliminate the holes, and ground down the socket and rib. Feels a lot lighter now, and the rib has a flatter rectangular section which was pretty common for late Mycenaean heads. The outer diameter of the socket is only 7/8", and the inside is pretty small. I thought about reaming it out, but that's REALLY a pain and not always entirely successful, plus I already had the head mounted on a good pole, so making the socket larger would mean having to cut off the tapered end, losing the nice length, or finding a new pole, argh... Easier just to grind off the outside of the socket!

I still have to shave the shaft down some. But the point is much lighter now, and I like it better. Has a nice ring to it!

Maybe I'll get one of Chris's--or Neil's!--for Christmas or something. But this will hold me for the moment!

This is Chris's ebay site:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armr...2&_skc=50&rt=nc
http://stores.ebay.com/bronzezeus/

His weapons are all lovely, not always sure about the weight, and of course his sculpture is fab, but I'm not as impressed by his helmets and armor. The finish is very rough and crude, even without the darkening. Kinda puzzling. NICE spears, though!

Matthew
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
And here it is finished, with the short one from Neil in the middle and the leafblade from Chris on the right. The latter feels a little heavy, so I might shave down the shaft at some point. But it's starting to feel like a decent arsenal!

Posted Image

Matthew

Steven M. Peffley
[ * ]
Absolute SACRILEGE and BLASPHEMY on a number of levels. But a nice job of it all the same.

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, kinda! More so from your Irish point of view, of course. Believe me, I'd LOVE to have one the lunates! THAT I wouldn't dream of changing.

And thanks!

Matthew

Steven M. Peffley
[ * ]
Looking more closely at the pics, a question occurs to me: Why are the pins not in line with the edge? I cannot recall ever seeing holes for rivets, pegs, nails or pins on a spear socket (Bronze or Iron Age) anywhere except in line with the edge, usually close to the socket mouth. Just curious.

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I'd have to look around for more examples, but on the drawings of the original Irish basal loop (presumably sent to me by Neil) the hole for the pin or nail is right up between the holes at the base of the blade. Otherwise, I've seen them either way, though in line with the blade certainly makes more sense for split sockets (and there ARE *bronze* Mycenaean split socket spearheads!). And may be more common overall. Sometimes I'm just stuck with whatever the point comes with! If it's some kind of modern socketed tool that I've converted, they certainly tend to have a screw hole in line with the flat of the blade.

Matthew

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply