Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mycenaean Type G Sword
Topic Started: Sep 17 2016, 12:46 PM (768 Views)
Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I got this from Neil YEARS ago, it's been languishing in the corner, but I got inspired to finish and hilt it. The hilt is bone, 3 pieces each side. Still have to clean and polish the blade and tang area, and polish the bone pieces, then rivet it all together. Somewhat messy finicky work which seems to make me want to sew instead! But it'll get done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also have a Type Ci rapier which is begging for ebony grips with a stone pommel. But not until this Type G is finished!

Matthew
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Gads! That's beautiful... :o

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Why, thanks! All I have to do is not muck it up... Not that I'm TOO worried, having riveted more than a few hilts in my time.

Matthew

Eric L.
[ * ]
One of my favorites of Neil's! Looking forward to this, looking good !

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
And here it is, finished.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The camera actually picks up more flaws than are readily visible to the eye, of course... But I think it came out all right.

And Thanks!

Matthew

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Nice one!

Frank S.
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
It's beautiful!

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, gents!

I'm trying to avoid thinking about a scabbard, for the moment. It's fine for "show and tell" events. If someone borrows it for a parade or other reenactment, though, he'll have to carry it in hand the whole time. Not a big deal, though, since my Mycenaean arsenal includes 3 shields but only 2 decent spears!

Matthew

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Obviously I changed my mind, and finished a scabbard this evening.

Posted Image

The core is poplar, covered by 2 layers of fine linen. The yellow spiral band is wool, and the "chape" and "throat" are just white leather. The baldric is hand-woven wool. I was thinking of bone for the chape and throat, but really had no evidence to work with and finally decided that I wanted to get it done more than I wanted to spend a few hours messing with bone dust... But I think it worked out all right!

Matthew

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Very nice!

Eric L.
[ * ]
Beautiful sword! Definitely one of my favorites from Neil. The hilt and scabbard both look awesome!! Nice work, and glad to see more of these cool projects. Also, very cool to see this is one of Neil's earlier Type G castings! Really like the look of it.

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, gents! I'll be carrying this baby into action this coming Sunday, at the Baltimore Greek Independence Day parade. Gonna go Mycenaean, this time, with Thebes cuirass and Warrior Vase helmet.

Matthew

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Matthew Amt,Mar 29 2017
12:02 PM
Thanks, gents! I'll be carrying this baby into action this coming Sunday, at the Baltimore Greek Independence Day parade. Gonna go Mycenaean, this time, with Thebes cuirass and Warrior Vase helmet.

Matthew

Nice! Have a great time. :)

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply