Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
new book: Warfare and Weaponry in Dynastic Egypt
Topic Started: Sep 16 2016, 08:33 AM (347 Views)
Yves Goris
[ * ]
Hi

Beginning 2017, a new book will appear by pen & sword regarding Egyptian weaponry.

As always, release dates for pen & sword can be taken with a few bags of salt....

My Webpage
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Yves Goris,Sep 16 2016
08:33 AM
Hi

Beginning 2017, a new book will appear by pen & sword regarding Egyptian weaponry.

As always, release dates for pen & sword can be taken with a few bags of salt....

My Webpage

Thank you for the information! :)

Yves Goris
[ * ]
the book came out and I've read it with great interest. it's not like any other book about egyptian army. the most interesting part were her tests with egyptian weaponry on pig meat. using the mace, axe, a replica of ahmose's dagger (I fell in love with that weapon :D )and the khopesh. these reports were quite interesting. khopesh, dagger and axe were made by neil. a must eead for members of this forum.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Yves Goris,May 25 2017
05:29 PM
the book came out and I've read it with great interest. it's not like any other book about egyptian army.  the most interesting part were her tests with egyptian weaponry on pig meat. using the mace, axe, a replica of ahmose's dagger (I fell in love with that weapon :D )and the khopesh. these reports were quite interesting. khopesh, dagger and axe were made by neil. a must eead for members of this forum.

Wow, really! Actually the provenance of the dagger is interesting; Neil made it for me (I even shipped the calcite to him), and he created a masterpiece with it. I gave it to Jeffrey as a tip for some armour he made me and he must have passed it on to the author! Wild. :)
I want to take a look at the book --sounds like you recommend it!

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Cent...post&id=6688952

Yves Goris
[ * ]
No the handle of the dagger was all wood. She explains in the book she used an all wooden one because it is for testing and she saw no need to test with a stone handle. probably because of the damage she expected to this weapon.

the khopesh results were interesting. she almost chopped a complete (already dead) piglet in half.

the results of the mace were quite disappointing. if you look to her tests, it actually is more effective if you just use it for executions, not for large scale battles.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Yves Goris,May 25 2017
06:50 PM
No the handle of the dagger was all wood. She explains in the book she used an all wooden one because it is for testing and she saw no need to test with a stone handle. probably because of the damage she expected to this weapon.

the khopesh results were interesting. she almost chopped a complete (already dead) piglet in half.

the results of the mace were quite disappointing. if you look to her tests, it actually is more effective if you just use it for executions, not for large scale battles.

Oh, I see B) Good! I'd kinda hate to see the one Neil made get damaged! Thanks for bringing the book back to our attention, Yves!

Yves Goris
[ * ]
yeah since you are also an 'egypt' freak like me, i'm sure you'll like it.

Paul Eliott, which also does experimental archeology, has written a book on it as well. it has been published this month. unfortunately, don't have it yet.

« Previous Topic · Egyptian Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply