Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Have to Axe a question...
Topic Started: Aug 6 2016, 01:25 PM (151 Views)
Adam Cripps
[ * ]
So I came across this collection of carpenter's tools at the British Museum, which were supposedly all found together and supposedly date to the New Kingdom. I was under the impression that the crescent-shaped/epsilon style axe heads that were popular in the Middle Kingdom were quickly replaced with ones similar to modern axes but flared out on the edge. And of course the listed information in the catalog record pertains only to the adze. Does anyone have further information on crescent shaped axes like that continuing into the New Kingdom? Either for domestic/craft use or militarily?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/coll...ges=true&page=1

Also, can't seem to find any reproduction axe heads similar to it, most being of Celtic/European style heads?

Thanks,
Adam C.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Adam Cripps,Aug 6 2016
01:25 PM
So I came across this collection of carpenter's tools at the British Museum, which were supposedly all found together and supposedly date to the New Kingdom.  I was under the impression that the crescent-shaped/epsilon style axe heads that were popular in the Middle Kingdom were quickly replaced with ones similar to modern axes but flared out on the edge.  And of course the listed information in the catalog record pertains only to the adze.  Does anyone have further information on crescent shaped axes like that continuing into the New Kingdom?  Either for domestic/craft use or militarily? 

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/coll...ges=true&page=1

Also, can't seem to find any reproduction axe heads similar to it, most being of Celtic/European style heads? 

Thanks,
Adam C.

Hmmm! That will require some searching around.. I think what's usually trotted out is that the the axes with heads would focus the chopping power and help penetrate or cause blunt trauma below the armour that was being used in the New Kingdom. I'm pretty sure that the epsilon-style made hung around in some parts for a while, maybe.. But I don't think the New Kingdom Armies would still be using it. Weapons and armour were made in state workshops and stored in armouries. The armies were very organized and I believe much of the armour and weapons were standardized.

Adam Cripps
[ * ]
Ah ok, so it's possible the style hung around for civilian/carpentry use for a bit while having been replaced by the state for actual military use?

-Adam

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Adam Cripps,Aug 6 2016
11:44 PM
Ah ok, so it's possible the style hung around for civilian/carpentry use for a bit while having been replaced by the state for actual military use?

-Adam

That would be my guess too!

« Previous Topic · Egyptian Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply