Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pictures from the Heraklion Archeological museum
Topic Started: Dec 16 2015, 06:42 AM (452 Views)
Matt Corbin
[ * ]
I stumbled across this Flickr page and thought you all might be interested. THere are some nice sword pictures on here. Specifically some organic hilt material. If this has already been posted I apologize.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98015679@N04/...157647850538161
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Great pics! Thanks! That Knossos helmet is actually what I think is being depicted on the Warrior Vase --with horns.

Dendrakrieger
Member Avatar
Bronzegießer und Bronzeschmied
[ * ]
Hi,

Here are pictures of Heraklion made during our last trip in 2015. On May 22, we fly to Crete again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind regards from Germany

Thomas

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
The form of the bowl reminds me of some kegelhelms; the same form translated into a multi-piece construction:
http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/arachne/index.php?view[layout]=objekt_item&search[constraints][objekt][searchSeriennummer]=201433

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Pfft, you've got Kegelhelms on the brain, Todd! (Not saying that's a *bad* thing!) It's a Late Bronze/Early Iron Age cap helmet, down to the cheekpiece shape.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course now I'm not finding the cheekpieces I'm thinking of, though the ones on the Knossos helmet actually look more ROMAN. Definitely something wonky about this boy, or at least about its supposed date. It's a one-piece bowl, by the way.

Cool hat, though! Thanks for the photos.

Matthew

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
It is certainly one of those! Just always looking for continuity or transitional pieces. Heck, I even think the Warrior Vase helmets are bell-type helmets; Modlinger doesn't think that they are. Modlinger includes the Knossos helmet in the bell helmet typology but notes it is only one of two examples with the plume holder riveted in place; the northern pieces have the plume holder cast in place.

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply