Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Geometric Period
Topic Started: Oct 16 2014, 07:55 PM (360 Views)
S. Workman
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Hey, anybody know any good books about the Submycenaean or Protogeometric period? I have found a couple, but there isn't a lot. Any ideas?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
S. Workman,Oct 16 2014
07:55 PM
Hey, anybody know any good books about the Submycenaean or Protogeometric period? I have found a couple, but there isn't a lot. Any ideas?

Boy that's tough, as there was so much chaos at the time; there is a lot about the cryptic pottery, and the Lefkandi tombs you are already aware of.. If you want armour, you might try Born's Frühgriechische Bronzehelme; I suspect that some the pieces of kegelhelms found at Olympia might actually be older than they are currently dated, and possibly even from the Trojan War. Also Early Cretan Armourers(?) is a great book though the material discussed is dated later. Homerische Helme is excellent --rounding up the usual suspects and more.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
For military things there is Brouwer's Henchmen of Ares. It has a bibliograpical essay in the back to help people find relevant works written for academics.

S. Workman
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for those suggestions guys. For my part I will recommend "From Pasture to Polis", pretty good photos and great essays, just a bit later than I was hoping. There is some OK stuff online too, of course, but this period seems to be less intriguing to people.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Sean Manning,Oct 19 2014
07:49 AM
For military things there is Brouwer's Henchmen of Ares.  It has a bibliograpical essay in the back to help people find relevant works written for academics.

Just bought Henchmen of Ares. Looks good, thanks Sean. Amateurs and reenactors are a nice balance for academia --fresh eyes and thoughts, and we know what errors have crept into academic literature in the past ;) --Dan?

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply