Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Huge Mycenaean citadel of Glas being excavated
Topic Started: Jul 14 2014, 05:50 PM (354 Views)
Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/06052...cenaean-citadel
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Isn't that cool? Kinda scary to think how many known sites have NOT been excavated relatively recently. Like, most of them... Interesting that it was thought to be mostly empty, too, even though no one had really *looked*.

The drainage system alone is fascinating! I remember reading about that years ago (just the briefest description) and being boggled. Amazing stuff.

This will be something neat for our grandkids to read. It certainly won't be published before then...

Matthew

Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Very cool. It would be neat to be able to wander around Greece and Crete and stick a shovel into whatever looks interesting. You never know what you'll turn up

Sotirios S
[ * ]
It is very fascinating to be honest, the wandering part I mean.

When I was in the army I served on the island of Lesvos for 2 years around the Molyvos/Mithymna area, which as far as I know has been constantly inhabited since the archaic period. There was a spring close to Battalion that was called "Achilles' spring - Aχιλλέως πηγή". Supposedly Achilles & the Myrmidons stopped there on their way to Troy.
Whenever we had to build something, dig etc. we would always find things - these were mostly kept within display cases at Regiment, the important ones were sent back to Athens.

I think that the problem with Greece, Italy etc. is that there are so many sites that there is no realistic hope of excavating everything we know of. Which is kind of sad, but it is what it is I suppose.

All the best,
sotirios

===========

Brock H
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I hope they uncover an extensive archive! We need texts!

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply