Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fun pics of Cypriote BA Artifacts
Topic Started: Jun 7 2014, 12:45 AM (418 Views)
S. Workman
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Grainy but cool - 2 headed centaurs and swords! Also, miniature bronze chairs
with tiny gods to seat on them. Early action figures, ha ha!

http://vcook.cyprus.free.fr/?page_id=59
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, those *are* cool! I'd seen the Ingot God and Horned God before, in fact the Ingot God was a primary source for my Warrior Vase helmet. Never noticed his wrap-around tunic before, though, huh!

It's also neat that Greece invented the Naue II sword 400 years before the rest of Europe used it.... (Oh, here I go again!)

Thanks for the link!

Matthew

S. Workman
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Matthew Amt,Jun 7 2014
01:39 PM
Oh, those *are* cool! I'd seen the Ingot God and Horned God before, in fact the Ingot God was a primary source for my Warrior Vase helmet. Never noticed his wrap-around tunic before, though, huh!

It's also neat that Greece invented the Naue II sword 400 years before the rest of Europe used it.... (Oh, here I go again!)

Thanks for the link!

Matthew

You know, its kind of funny, I have some scans from the excavation report on Skales, Cyprus, and it was a very odd situation. These guys had lots of iron, really early on. One of the type artifacts was a single edged curved knife with an ivory hilt and bronze rivets, and almost literally every grave that had weapons had one of these knives. On really rare occasions there would be an iron sword (short) or an iron spear. Everything else was really well made bronze.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Kinyras, who gave Agamemnon his cuirass, must have ruled sometime between the establishment of Kourion and the Assyrian conquest, so a date around 940 BCE for the Trojan war is certainly tenable from that angle:

From Wikipedia:

"Mycenaean settlement[edit]

A claim by the Ancient Greek historian Herodotus (5th century BCE) that the city of Kourion, near present-day Limassol, was founded by Archaean settlers from Argos, finds support in the discovery of a Late Bronze Age settlement lying several kilometers from the site of the remains of the Hellenic city of Kourion, whose pottery and architecture indicate that Mycenaean settlers did indeed arrive and augment an existing population in this part of Cyprus in the twelfth century BC.[2] The kingdom of Kourion in Cyprus is recorded on an inscription dating to the period of the Pharaoh Ramses III (118655 BCE) in Egypt.[2]

Assyrian conquest[edit]

Another early written source of Cypriot history mentions the nation under Assyrian rule. A stele found in 1845 in the city formerly named Kition, near present-day Larnaka, commemorates the victory of King Sargon II (72105 BCE) in 709 BCE over seven kings in the land of Ia', in the district of Iadnana or Atnana. The land of Ia' is assumed to be the Assyrian name for Cyprus, and some scholars suggest that the latter may mean 'the islands of the Danaans', or Greece. There are other inscriptions referring to the land of Ia' in Sargon's palace at Khorsabad.

The ten kingdoms listed by an inscription of Esarhaddon in 6732 BCE have been identified as Soloi, Salamis, Paphos, Kourion, Amathus and Kition on the coast, and Tamassos, Ledrai, Idalion and Chytroi in the interior of the island. Later inscriptions add Marion, Lapithos and Kerynia (Kyrenia)."

Brock H
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
S. Workman,Jun 7 2014
03:43 PM

You know, its kind of funny, I have some scans from the excavation report on Skales, Cyprus, and it was a very odd situation. These guys had lots of iron, really early on. One of the type artifacts was a single edged curved knife with an ivory hilt and bronze rivets, and almost literally every grave that had weapons had one of these knives. On really rare occasions there would be an iron sword (short) or an iron spear. Everything else was really well made bronze.

Until a metallurgical report is published (or one of our members can locate an already published one) it can only be a guess, but it may be that their iron was too soft or due to impurities too prone to break under stress for them to make objects other than knives with iron. This would be especially true for weapons other than the rare short sword or spearhead you mention.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
This PDF answers a lot of questions!:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=%22....68445247,d.cGU

The top, Valerie Cook PDF:
http://www.google.com/#q=%22cyprus%22+%22b...22+filetype:pdf

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply