Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Source for bronze rod stock
Topic Started: Feb 5 2014, 10:15 PM (447 Views)
S. Workman
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Hey all, does anyone know a source for actual tin bronze rod stock, in 8 gauge (1/8") or other sizes? I am redoing a couple of swords because I made the grips too thick back before I knew what was what. I originally got my rivet rods from Neil, but he never charges me for the rod or even postage all the way from the UK, and I would as soon pick some up here. Plus, I have a couple of size requirements. I originally got his Carp's Tongue Sword with only the thin size rivets, but I would like to try the big ones, on the central rivets, which is what Neil did (you can see on his site how he did it herehttp://www.bronze-age-swords.com/in_my_workshop.htm). Anyway, that's what I am after. I can find a ton of crappy phosphor bronzes, etc. but no tin.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
S. Workman,Feb 5 2014
10:15 PM
Hey all, does anyone know a source for actual tin bronze rod stock, in 8 gauge (1/8") or other sizes? I am redoing a couple of swords because I made the grips too thick back before I knew what was what. I originally got my rivet rods from Neil, but he never charges me for the rod or even postage all the way from the UK, and I would as soon pick some up here. Plus, I have a couple of size requirements. I originally got his Carp's Tongue Sword with only the thin size rivets, but I would like to try the big ones, on the central rivets, which is what Neil did (you can see on his site how he did it herehttp://www.bronze-age-swords.com/in_my_workshop.htm). Anyway, that's what I am after. I can find a ton of crappy phosphor bronzes, etc. but no tin.

Phosphor bronze is actually tin bronze, so it's the stuff you're looking for. The phosphor is only present in the casting as a flux, and is pretty much all gone in the final product. Before using it, make sure to anneal it first, as it's delivered workhardened.

S. Workman
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Oh. Well, hell, it's all over the interwebz in that case!

« Previous Topic · Reconstructing History · Next Topic »
Add Reply