Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rameses armour
Topic Started: Dec 6 2010, 10:22 PM (804 Views)
Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I recall an Egyptian source saying that Rameses could put his armour on unassisted. I'm after a cite for this source. This passage has implications for how the armour was constructed for it implies that it was fastened at the front or sides rather than at the back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Dan Howard,Dec 6 2010
10:22 PM
I recall an Egyptian source saying that Rameses could put his armour on unassisted. I'm after a cite for this source. This passage has implications for how the armour was constructed for it implies that it was fastened at the front or sides rather than at the back.

Hi Dan, is it:

He seized his weapons of war; he girded his coat of mail (sic); he was like Baal in his hour.

--The Poem of Pentaur

Here's the poem:
http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/kadeshaccounts.htm

Todd

Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
That's it. Thanks Todd.

Yves Goris
[ * ]
could it be possible that this is propaganda?

could you interpret it as "he was so great that he could put on his armour himself (where other people needed an assistent)" ?

Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
That's certainly possible. It also could just be a simplification. The phrase "he girt his armour" could be shorthand for "he had his armour put on by his attendants"

Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Considering the poetic license of such a phrase, I'd go with Dan's latest interpretation... It wouldn't sound as elegant at all to say that "his servants then put on his armor."

-Gregory

Brock H
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I have to agree that it's most likely a poetic shorthand used rather than describing how his attendants dressed him in his armor. It also keeps the emphasis firmly on pharoah, who does not need mere mortals to aid him.

« Previous Topic · Egyptian Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply