Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mycenaean Reenactment; The Sydney Ancients
Topic Started: Oct 15 2010, 01:13 AM (2,188 Views)
Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Hey folks,

Stumbled upon a link to the Sydney Ancients' page via the RAT. Noticed at the end of their photo gallery that they have a couple of guys doing Mycenaean reenactment Very groovy!

-Gregory

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, yes, aren't they great? Though we've seen them before, here, must have been a link or something, and maybe it was while you were "away". I think Richard Robinson is one of them, at least he is part of the Sydney Ancients, and he has posted here a couple times.

This side of the planet needs more Mycenaeans!! We should all meet just outside Troy, New York, hee hee hee... ("If we build this enormous badger....")

Khaire,

Matthew

Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Bugger, thought I hadn't seen them pop up on the BAC yet! Oh, well. Worth another look, perhaps?

Matt, I've decided that I'm still not prepared to start my Mycenaean panoply due mainly to financial issues; buying the leather, rawhide, cowhide, boar's tusks, cast bronze weapons and bronze plate necessary to get the project off the ground would be too much for me right now! However, the urge to make a nice shield has been strong lately, so I'll be spending my thanksgiving holiday making an aspis using your method, in hopes that it will inspire me to begin further work on a Peloponnesian War era hoplite, most likely involving a raised pilos helmet...

-Gregory

Matthew Amt
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Believe me, I understand! I'd be working on a full Vendel/Valsgarde impression if I could afford it! An aspis can be darn cheap if you have the wood lying around like I did. Just be SURE to do the thickness properly: thickest in the MIDDLE and *thinner* toward the edges! Make it as light as you possibly can, seriously...

By the way, a pilos helmet can be *spun*! But even a one-piece raised one would be cool. Heck, ANY kind of pilos helmet would be cool, there aren't nearly enough around these days! Deepeeka or Daniyal should be cranking them out for 85 bucks each.

Not enough hours in the day, not enough dollars in the wallet!

Matthew

Peter Raftos
[ * ]
These guys are David Armstrong and Robert Wheeler ( I think I posted a picture on RAT ages ago). I have invited them to participate here but they are too busy making stuff.

Matt Corbin
[ * ]
Necropost from hell. Are these guys still around? I've scoured the interwebs and haven't been able to find much beyond these few pictures. I'd love to see more of their equipment.

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Matt Corbin,Jan 5 2016
07:31 PM
Necropost from hell. Are these guys still around? I've scoured the interwebs and haven't been able to find much beyond these few pictures.  I'd love to see more of their equipment.

Weird, yeah, there is almost nothing on the Web about them! But Mycenaeans didn't have computers, so perhaps in the spirit of authenticity.. You could email the Sydney Ancients; I think Craig Sitch of Manning Imperial is part of that group, too.

« Previous Topic · Aegean Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply