Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pepi II reigned for 94 years?
Topic Started: Apr 27 2010, 09:26 AM (729 Views)
Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Pepi II is alleged to have ruled Egypt for 94 years. Is there hard evidence to support this or was this figure made up by Egyptologists to fit their dodgy chronology?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank S.
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
According to the bible Moses got 120 years old and he also grew up in Egypt. Maybe it's the local diet or something. ;)

Yves Goris
[ * ]
according to Manetho, he was only 6 when he acquired the throne. It was based on a claim by Manetho (he claimed Pepi II to have ruled 94 years) and on a document called the "Turin Canon". some claim it was because of his old age that the Old Kingdom collapsed. At the end of his reign Egypt was suffering from draught and because of his age he was not able to react to it...

PS: I would like to recommend "The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs" by Darrell D. Baker. He provides data regarding where the pharaoh was buried, his name in hieroglyphics, which women he had, biography, .... Just facts, no crap! It is an expensive work but it is definitely worth its money! :D

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
It's not impossible for someone to have reached the age of 100 in those days. People occasionally reach very high ages in poor underdeveloped countries today without access to proper medication. The chance of reaching such a high age of course is much smaller, due to many possible conditions you may get that will be fatal. But being in the top of society and therefore getting a continuous supply of healthy and varied food and not having to do hard labour drastically increases your chances. Plus the Egyptians did have a fairly developed level of medical knowledge, to which a farao would have had unlimited access, so that also helps a lot.

Yves Goris
[ * ]
there is one strange thing about it... after appr. 30 years reign, pharaoh needed to prove that he was still able to rule. a festival was celebrated in which he proved himself fit for his task.

I can't imagine a 100 year old passing these tests although i do not exactly know what these tests were...

Yves Goris
[ * ]
the festival i am speaking of is the Sed-Festival...

Todd Feinman
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Yves Goris,Apr 27 2010
08:37 PM
there is one strange thing about it... after appr. 30 years reign, pharaoh needed to prove that he was still able to rule. a festival was celebrated in which he proved himself fit for his task.

I can't imagine a 100 year old passing these tests although i do not exactly know what these tests were...

Part of the Heb Sed was a ritual run performed by pharaoh. Perhaps he could do the run well into old age because he was so "Pepi"? ;) I know, stupid, but I couldn't help myself!

Todd

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
You've probably already checked, but the Site that Shall Not Be Named, Deluger of the Internet and Gobbler of the First Page of Google Hits says that only the first 60-odd years are attested by dated documents, and cites these two articles

Hans Goedicke, The Death of Pepi II-Neferkare" in Studien zur Altägyptischen Kultur 15, (1988), pp.111-121

Michel Baud, "The Relative Chronology of Dynasties 6 and 8" in Ancient Egyptian Chronology (Leiden, 2006) pp.152-57

Brittanica says that his 62nd and 65th regnal years are attested in documents. The question is if there are enough documents that we would expect the last 30 years of a longer reign to be attested.

« Previous Topic · Egyptian Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply