Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sacrificed Shang soldier with ge
Topic Started: Dec 27 2008, 11:57 PM (885 Views)
marquardt lund
[ * ]
Found while googling "dagger axe":

Posted Image
(The "in-situ dream")
http://picasaweb.google.com/leefoxx1949/An...872022424561042
http://picasaweb.google.com/leefoxx1949/An...872005244691842

Marquardt
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brock H
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Ah, marvelous! Thanks for sharing.

LuciŽn Olinga
Member Avatar
1/12 scale statue man
[ *  *  * ]
Hmmm.. that skull almost looks fake.. such a smooth and strange form it has.. is that dagger bronze? could be jade or something also..

Thanks for sharing!

Greetz,

LuciŽn..

Steven C.
[ * ]
I think theres a chance thats a museum exhibit, and that the skull is fake/newly manufactured and added to the original skeleton so visitors can see it's a human more clearly. If I remember correctly, Shang era sacrifices were beheaded with an axe. So he would've been beheaded before being interred.

The ge blade, has to be bronze though. I don't think the Shang would have bothered with jade, the Shang lived contemporary with New Kingdom Egypt, it'd be like New Kingdom Egyptians fashioning axes out of flint.

Kenneth Blair
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Hi All,
China history forum was hacked, and the admin rights stolen by a fraudster.
The ownership was transfered by the fraudster, who then locked out all the admin..asked for a ransom and then put the domain name up for sale.
5 years of threads & posts lost. I hope security in here is not open to key logging software.
Gregory...take note!

I am here because we are setting up a new forum with luck, so I was getting some ideas.

OK, some comments on this thread.
The skeleton is from a site that Gary Todd visited, I don't recall the location but it will be identified by the appropriate folder on his website.
Gary confirmed at the time what I suspected too. The skeleton was a mock-up.
The public there viewed a reproduction, rather than the original pit.
No wooden shaft would survive like that from the perid and the general look is pretty 'off'.
The dagger-axe looks like it 'might' be meant to be jade. The colour is not right for an ancient bronze, but it might be a nephrite in a slight fantasy style. Jade ge were not made into objects quite like that. The tang (nei) is not of a form that was made from jade.
Shang jade ge were made with notched edges, but no such fine detail in a panel.
Either jade ge were made in one piece, or were a jade blade with bronze cast tang. Such Shang ge copied the form of jade & stone ge of the Neolithic period.
Jade ge were not used for combat. They were sometimes deliberately broken and buried. As a symbol of rank or ceremony the ge may be the origin of jade tablets used by ranking men as symbols of authority into later period. Such tablets, loosely axe-like or ge blade-like in form were called gui, and used up into historical times for court ritual.
Yes, the Shang used jade for dagger-axes (ko/ge) but they did not use them in war.
Shang bronze ge were quite robust and practical, and these did the dirty work of killing.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Kenneth Blair,Mar 17 2009
07:40 AM
Hi All,
China history forum was hacked, and the admin rights stolen by a fraudster.
The ownership was transfered by the fraudster, who then locked out all the admin..asked for a ransom and then put the domain name up for sale.
5 years of threads & posts lost.

What a nerve! This site is hosted by Invisionfree. So we're basically only users of their service, and have no insight in how they protect it.

LuciŽn Olinga
Member Avatar
1/12 scale statue man
[ *  *  * ]
Wow! let's hope no #@$%-fraudster will get ideas to do the same here.. I guess he'll never be save.. us having all of those bronze weapons and all ;)

Greetings,
LuciŽn..

« Previous Topic · Chinese Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply