Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Bronze Age Center. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jeroen is shutting down his site
Topic Started: Dec 28 2017, 04:24 AM (346 Views)
Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.1501bc.com/metalworking/ will go offline in the next few months. Jeroen Z. can't afford the money for hosting or the time to keep updating it. So if you need any of his photos from museums, download them now! His database of photos from museums will not be available after spring 2018.

I have submitted it to the Wayback Machine, but they can't afford to save all those photos.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Yup, after 21 years of maintaining websites, and the sudden rise in hosting costs and drop in available funds myself, I'm stopping with websites. I'm currently uploading a 6.5Gb zipfile with all of the museum photos. When the upload is succesfull, it can be downloaded from here: 1501bc.com/page/Museum_photos_Jeroen.zip

It also contains a few additional musuem photo shoots that weren't online yet.

Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
That's too bad, but I hear you about the cost of things! For the museum photos (and even those of your work) have you considered uploading to flickr and organizing them into albums and collections? You can put quite a bit of information in the captions and album descriptions, and a free account can host an incredible 1.5 terabytes. Something to consider... I personally spend a lot of time uploading things to flickr, and find that the site works very smoothly and has good presentation.

Dan Howard
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Flickr is only free for now. There are only two business models that make sense for these sites. When they collect enough users they will either sell it to someone like Microsoft or Google, or they will start charging subscriptions. Photobucket did it earlier this year.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
For now all of my photos can be downloaded from here: http://1501bc.com/page/Museum_photos_Jeroen.zip It's one big zipfile of 6.5Gb, containing all of the museum photos, including some photo series that I hadn't uploaded yet.

Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Dan Howard
Dec 30 2017, 08:06 AM
Flickr is only free for now. There are only two business models that make sense for these sites. When they collect enough users they will either sell it to someone like Microsoft or Google, or they will start charging subscriptions. Photobucket did it earlier this year.

Except that Flickr is already owned by Verizon (one of the USA's largest cellular and internet providers). Just as Google Photos is operated by another one of the largest companies in the world with unlimited bandwidth. Both of those companies rely on the photo-sharing sites as gimmick. Photobucket, however, is a for-profit company owned by Fox, and has previously relied on advertising for revenue, but which could not keep up based on that alone, hence their move to make accounts that use lots of data and third-party hosting cost more. Totally different concepts behind these hosting sites.
Edited by Gregory J. Liebau, Dec 30 2017, 06:50 PM.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Gregory J. Liebau
Dec 30 2017, 06:44 PM
Except that Flickr is already owned by Verizon (one of the USA's largest cellular and internet providers). Just as Google Photos is operated by another one of the largest companies in the world with unlimited bandwidth. Both of those companies rely on the photo-sharing sites as gimmick. Photobucket, however, is a for-profit company owned by Fox, and has previously relied on advertising for revenue, but which could not keep up based on that alone, hence their move to make accounts that use lots of data and third-party hosting cost more. Totally different concepts behind these hosting sites.
I am with Dan here. I will never, ever put significant numbers of hours into posting things on a 'free' site paid for by a large American company again. Even Google has a long history of shutting down projects, deleting their websites, and breaking web services which cost them pocket change: they just don't think like librarians or understand in their guts that sometimes something published today will be the definitive reference for a hundred years (maybe because they make their money by tracking readers and selling to them?)

Remember when Google or a similar-sized company shut down its RSS reader a few years ago? I think it may have been called Google Reader.

So because I am a scholar, and want information to be where I left it when I need it in 10 or 50 years, I pay a hundred bucks a year for a site coded in simple HTML and an open-source Content Management System. Other people with other mentalities make other choices! If I just wanted to post cat pictures or selfies for friends to look at this week, or was as obsessive about uploading big files as Andrea Carloni, I might make a different choice.
Edited by Sean Manning, Jan 13 2018, 10:41 AM.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Dec 30 2017, 05:32 PM
For now all of my photos can be downloaded from here: http://1501bc.com/page/Museum_photos_Jeroen.zip It's one big zipfile of 6.5Gb, containing all of the museum photos, including some photo series that I hadn't uploaded yet.
Jeroen, I am having real trouble downloading that file: the transfer rate slows then the download fails after 10 or 15 minutes. Turning off my VPN did not help. I have a good connection over Ethernet.

Many servers see an attempt to download large files as a DDOS and throttle it or block it.

Do you have any advice on how to download your file?

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Also, a site someone else pays for like Flickr could be a great alternative to paying for a site or shutting everything down! I have just been thinking hard, and I don't trust any of the major actors in the tech world to produce sites which will be still usable in 10 years any more. So having one site, which I pay for and has a blog platform and file storage and pages devoted to specific projects, works better for me than 10 'free' accounts.

Gregory J. Liebau
Fearless Leader
[ *  *  * ]
I don't even have faith that the internet will be around as long as I'd like to store photos. I use Flickr right now because it works, for free. If they ever pulled a stunt like Photobucket did, users would still have access to their own photos (as they do on photobucket). I would simply download them onto a hard drive and choose another option if that was necessary. If you really want to keep things safe, then print copies (I do but need to do a lot more). I also have no photos uploaded on Flickr that are not backed up on a hard drive and external USB drives.

I have no qualms about using a free service because it's hardly a mean's to an end for me. If you want to put photos on the internet that you may lose in all other formats, then no, I would not recommend Flickr or any other free or even paid-account public site. Actually, I wouldn't recommend the internet. Any site can get hacked and have content wiped, making it hard or impossible to retrieve. It's happened to several good academic pages I've visited over the years.
Edited by Gregory J. Liebau, Jan 14 2018, 02:00 AM.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Gregory J. Liebau
Jan 13 2018, 11:51 PM
I don't even have faith that the internet will be around as long as I'd like to store photos. I use Flickr right now because it works, for free. If they ever pulled a stunt like Photobucket did, users would still have access to their own photos (as they do on photobucket). I would simply download them onto a hard drive and choose another option if that was necessary. If you really want to keep things safe, then print copies (I do but need to do a lot more). I also have no photos uploaded on Flickr that are not backed up on a hard drive and external USB drives.

I have no qualms about using a free service because it's hardly a mean's to an end for me. If you want to put photos on the internet that you may lose in all other formats, then no, I would not recommend Flickr or any other free or even paid-account public site. Actually, I wouldn't recommend the internet. Any site can get hacked and have content wiped, making it hard or impossible to retrieve. It's happened to several good academic pages I've visited over the years.
Well, you can export your photos from Photobucket etc., although I seem to recall that some people who used Photobucket ran into serious trouble. But can you export them with the surrounding data: the labels and glosses, the organization into groups, the ability to point back to them from other places?

The advantage of plain HTML is that you don't even need an Internet connection to view the information (just open the homepage as a file in your browser and start clicking), and if one host decides that websites containing the keyword "Macedonian" are extremist content and not something they want to host, I can just move down the road to the next one.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Also, I still cannot download more than a quarter of Jeroen's file.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Sean Manning
Jan 13 2018, 11:45 AM
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Dec 30 2017, 05:32 PM
Jeroen, I am having real trouble downloading that file: the transfer rate slows then the download fails after 10 or 15 minutes. Turning off my VPN did not help. I have a good connection over Ethernet.

Many servers see an attempt to download large files as a DDOS and throttle it or block it.

Do you have any advice on how to download your file?
I have no idea. I've only uploaded it so it saves a lot of clicking and saving. But if Ipowerweb does not enable the download of such larg files, then I don't know any other options. To upload, I had to use an FTP program at least, as when uploading it directly it would disconnect often, so I had to start from the beginning. Using an FTP uploader enabled me to keep uploading after disconnections. I don't know if there's a download program that does something similar?

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Jan 14 2018, 09:22 PM
I have no idea. I've only uploaded it so it saves a lot of clicking and saving. But if Ipowerweb does not enable the download of such larg files, then I don't know any other options. To upload, I had to use an FTP program at least, as when uploading it directly it would disconnect often, so I had to start from the beginning. Using an FTP uploader enabled me to keep uploading after disconnections. I don't know if there's a download program that does something similar?

Hi Jeroen,

on the weekend, I will fire up a FTP client and try downloading it again. I will post here when I succeed or give up.

Thanks for warning everyone that your site will go down!

LessāAlessandro
[ * ]
Unfortunately, it's impossible to save the Zip file, with me also it stops after 50%.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Member Avatar
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
Something like this might work: https://www.freedownloadmanager.org It allows resuming downloads after disconnection.

Sean Manning
Patron
[ *  *  * ]
I am trying the linux utility wget, wish me luck! More practice using command line utilities is always useful.

Jeroen, I hope that whatever pressures are limiting your finances and time will ease.

« Previous Topic · European Studies · Next Topic »
Add Reply