Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Anime Red. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Book Nook; Work Less, Read More
Topic Started: Aug 16 2015, 12:34 AM (1,341 Views)
Naomi Davenport
Poster
It was the grand opening of her own book store. Naomi took nothing to chance and placed every genre of books in the shelves herself. Her cat, Luther, had been sleeping on the counter until it was about time to open the store. Hiding himself, he made sure he could beeline to the backroom as soon as the first person would grace their presence to the owner of the store.

Naomi Davenport wore her standard store manager outfit typically of a book worm in love with all her books. She hated to part with some of them, but this was for the better. It was good to bring others into the mode of reading and learning new things of the world and themselves. Recently, she made friends of like mindedness of her own sort of literature companions and historical gurus.

The store itself served two floors, made of hardwood flooring with a weathered feel to it. Candles were lit in many places to rid of the musty smell of old books which Naomi loved about. Now, she had to smell vanilla and fruit smells. Quite often, she would get caught sniffing the inner pages of old books. Every day, one would even see a different book in her hands in front of her face.

Today, she would be seen leaning behind the counter, adjusting her glasses, and having a book open by some random foods she made early that morning to hopefully bring in some customers near the market square. "Oh, bullocks," she mentioned as she was getting some bread crumbs into the spine of the book. Picking up the book, she blew into the pages and the extra bits fell to the counter in which she scraped off onto the floor. She'd vacuum it up later.

For now, she would wait for her first customer.

Naomi's Profile
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
Those crumbs don’t hit the ground nearly as fast as Naomi’s first customer skips happily in. Literally! Wearing tennies, standard youth jeans, and a light purple shirt with the words ‘Extravagance’ and ‘Culture’ encircled around a rainbow phoenix design, the panther girl bounces into the Book Nook with huge blue eyes and a totebag one or two stones too light for be allowed hanging over both shoulders.

She stumbles short of running past the book reading lady and tries to take in all the novels at once. Awe all over her kitty face. “Woooow,” and spoken just as inspiringly to boot. "This place is amazing! So many books!"

Naomi Davenport
Poster
Naomi heard the bell that was attached to the door. Her first customer of the day had entered which took Naomi by surprise as she nearly jumped out of her skin from the sudden burst of energy that skipped into her store. Gladly to have someone enter, she relaxed while she felt Luther bolt past her between her legs and into the backroom through a crack in the piles of books on the way. Closing the book she was reading, she wanted to engage the new face.

"Hey there. Welcome to the Book Nook, International Books galore. If you have any questions, let me know. Just ask for Naomi if you find anything of interest," she announced making it a standard phrase she scripted just the night before. Naomi was excited to see the enthusiastic youth and hoped she would find something to pique her interest. "I like your shirt by the way." Naomi tried to be as cordial as possible. She read it would help with finding that commonality to breach the uncomfortable conversational talk that might occur later.

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
Seeing the bundle of flying fur shoot across the store and into hiding overrides the adoration of the store and makes Cassie completely overjoyed with glee of three different kinds. "OMG! A kitty!" She exclaims, turning with all sorts of wonder to the voice of the counter lady. Before Naomi's true book store introductions begin, Cassie is able to get out, "I never see kitties in bookstores!"

Okaaay, now the book lady can finish what she was saying. Cassie's tail curls at the tip, then curls to the other side. Back and forth. She just barely detains her excitement of the Book Nook in time to realize she was being rude. "Oh, I'm sorry. Hi!" Her eyes can't help but look away, towards the books again and where the kitty went. But still, rudeness. She keeps focusing her big blues back on Naomi, or trying to. "Okay!" What was that big binder book behind Naomi on the wall? The one with the pretty, gold sheathing. Cassie squints her eyes slightly to see better.

That's about when the lady compliments her shirt. In surprise, the kitty girl looks down at herself as if she just noticed the shirt existed, then falls into immediate shyness. Rubbing her shoe into the ground, looking up at Naomi. "Thank you. I picked it out, myself." Cassie blushes vividly against her dark blue fur. "Naomi is a pretty name." Her counter compliment goes off without a hitch, too!

Cassie almost immediately follows up with a pointy finger, because her eyes find a new discovery. "What're you reading there?" she asks, her animated shyness keeping around a bit longer.

Naomi Davenport
Poster
The sudden outburst didn’t deter stoppage of Naomi’s spoken introduction. Having rehearsed it immensely, nothing was going to stop her from interrupting it. Nonetheless, the phrasings passed as she noticed Luther had disappeared which Cassie had portrayed to the storeowner. A quaint smile was expressed across her lips trying to curtail the awkward silence which Cassie interrupted. Naomi smiled bigger as the cat looked around the store in curiosity. Naomi truly loved furries, either pet or lifelike. She wanted to gaze more at the curled tail but found Cassie might find that rude.

Simply, Naomi waited for Cassie to hopefully respond to her compliment which she thought she expressed well enough. It had to be cordial to give compliments to the patrons of her store in order to induce sales and other things that would happen inside. Fortunately, Cassie answered lessening the awkwardness that Naomi felt was happening quickly. The largest smile follows as the display of embarrassment of Cassie’s shoe shake into the ground occurred.

”Thank you,” she responded after falling red herself from shyness. ”What is…?” she attempted to ask her name but was interrupted by Cassie’s pointed finger which the bibliophile traced to the novel she was reading at the moment before Cassie entered. ”Oh, this old book? Jabberwocky currently, but it is a book of poems from all sorts of writers. Just some casual reading while I wait for fantastic bookworms like you.” As she spoke, the book was turned around for Cassie to see the picture just above the poem depicted by an illustrator on their imagined view of the Jabberwocky. Naomi had her own interpretation in which she always found it fascinating the imagination of writers and artists. ”Is there anything you’re looking for specifically?” she asked calling Luther over if she would come out.

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
Seeing the poem's title in big, bold, stylistic letters next to the jabberwocky image, Cassie dawns straight out of the embarrassed shell and covers her mouth with both mitts, eyes wide. "Jabberwocky? From Lewis Carroll?? I love that poem! I, um." Tiptoeing closer to Naomi, tail and head low, pupils the envy of a full moon night, Cassie reaches out a paw in excitement, then retracts ever so slightly.

Especially so after Naomi asks her if she's looking for anything specific.

"I..." Cassie stalls, unsure of what to say. Blushing again, she gets further distracted over if the kitty will reappear. Way too much to plan out. Cassie looks from where Luther went to the books all over the place, to Naomi, to the book she was holding again. One topic at a time, pick one.

"Can I see your book?" She holds her paw out again gently, like a cat willing to grab food off of a dish, equally expecting to get yelled at for it. Her curiosity clear as day "I just want to see something really quick. I pinky promise I wont lose your spot."

Naomi Davenport
Poster
Naomi nodded at her enthusiasm regardless of the overzealous nature of her actions. The book owner's acknowledging nod with an occasional "Mmhmm" granted Cassie access and more toward her books. It wasn't that Naomi was going to forget her spot in the book. In fact, she knew the page and word she was on. Furthermore, she could recite the entire poem herself if asked to do so.

"No worries. I won't forget my spot," she mentioned with an offering hand, palm up. Not far from her hand was a cup of tea stewing with fresh leaves. Reaching for it, she blew slowly into the top surface of the tea and sipped it quickly feeling the burn on her tongue and lips; however, she was a veteran and did not seem to faze her in the slightest. She'd simply wait for Cassie to finish before she'd react.

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
With large, round eyes and overly happy glee, Cassie takes the book from the bookstore owner. She handles the literature with the delicate nature of a newborn baby, turning it over carefully, keeping a claw to the Jabberwocky page at all times. Sure she could have closed the book entirely on Naomi's good-natured consolation that she knew her place in the book all too well. Even so, Cassie knows better. From the way she keeps a finger to the one page and browses over the others beyond without stretching the cover, her pupils tracing the lines on every page she happens by, Naomi will be able to tell just how involved the panther girl is in the moment.

For the moment Cassie goes unusually quiet, all of her attention invested on the book alone and no longer to the rest of the store. Her lips move in sync with one of the later poems.

Afterwards, she pauses and moves to the cover of the book. Her soft, round ears go from being forward and alert to relaxing, and all at once this warm, nostalgic look overcame the girl's face.

She opened it back to the Jabberwocky page and handed it back to Naomi. "I remember this book. I read this one a long time ago," Cassie said, whimsically. "Except it was a different edition. This one has pictures and a different cover. I love what the artists did."

The smile opens wider, still staring at the novel favorably. "My favorite poem in this collection is Daffodils by Woodsworth.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high over vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils.
"

The lines purrs from her almost like a songstress, all in one breath and from memory.

Naomi Davenport
Poster
Naomi appreciated the care Cassie took with the book. She observed the zealous individual with a casual glance to read into what she was doing. Casually drinking her tea, the book owner read her lips with each page turn and seemed to voice her own method of follow Cassie in her endeavor. When the cat spoke, she nodded in agreement ecstatic to hear a poem she knew.

As Cassie recited the poem, Naomi helped with finishing the lines, ”…When all at once I saw a crowd, a host of golden daffodils. Beside the lake, beneath the trees, fluttering and dancing in the breeze.” As she finished, the cup of tea was placed on the counter top. ”I could recite that poem for hours,” she said with confidence in a friendly manner looking above Cassie toward the wall with her eyes closed. ”The ababcc rhyming scheme is one of my favorites. A simplistic sestet type structure just like Shakespeare, Ramsfield, and Lumiére.”

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
Surprise catches Cassie's features for all they're worth when she hears Naomi finish the poem. Her grin is huge, her tail is high, and her entirety beams wondrous amounts of glee. But she didn't just show unrivalling excitement towards Naomi taking over the poetry, the panthergirl was also speaking the lines beside her. Giggling, Cassie can't help herself anymore. "I love reading their poems, too! And Langsten Hughes, E.E.Cummings, Edger Allen Poe, oh! And Maya Angelou, with her poem, Caged Bird."

Her entire body looks about ready to take a flight of its own. Springing back two steps, Cassie tries to take in all the books from another vantage. Like she's trying to find more poetry books with these people from history. Worst yet, her twitching paws give her this look like she's ready to pounce on every book she can get her claws on - Lost to the different rows upon rows forever.

Instead of acting on it, the panther girl spins herself in a circle, her little arms out, until she faces Naomi again. Fit to burst on happiness, alone. "You have everyone here, right? This store is so cool! I'm so happy I came here!"

Naomi Davenport
Poster
Naomi was satisfied with Cassie's response to her own combined effort to finish the poem they both cherished and knew by heart. The book owner gave an embarrassed laugh which she covered slightly with her hand. With great enthusiasm and motivation, Cassie inspired her to offer some wonderful information on a special event only for certain individuals interested in the art of poetry; however, the panther girl leaped backwards distracting Naomi only slightly and decided to hold off on revealing her poetry night plans.

The eagerness in Cassie's steps stilled Naomi's voice and movements as the panther moved about in cat-like pose carefully considering her next plan of action. Stopping in front of Naomi, Cassie exploded into excitement, in which, the human girl responded with a nod. "Yes, as many as I can imagine fitting into my small store. I can get just about anything in here in a week if not. Perhaps, you would consider signing up for the book club here?" she asked willing to get the ecstatic panther girl involved in everything that would get her store marketed as well as get some blood in the store with another just as fascinated as she.

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
Her wiskers were bristling. She rings out her paws to contain her excitement. "So cool!" She butts in, but not enough to keep Naomi from talking about the book club.

It'd be the book club that brings Cassie back from the edge of going book fanatic on the store, or at least diverts her in a better, focused direction. "Really? You have a book club?" One ear flips back, looking at the doorway for a sec, then up at the ceiling in thought. "Um. I can't give you my home addy. It's too far away, and I don't want my parents knowing where I've been. Do you take e-mail addies or phone numbers for long-ring texts? I have a phone. A cute phone. Wanna see it?"

Naomi Davenport
Poster
Smiling in understanding, Naomi offers a better solution which, in fact, is the best means of a book club. "Actually, we meet here every week to discuss each book read. That gives everyone enough time to read it, analyze it, and discuss it endlessly, if needed, with a large spread of small foods and drinks to occupy our time during our close hours every week," she said pulling out a personal, leather book with an elastic strap holding the ledger closed and together.

"E-mail and phone numbers are preferred. I don't have a need to know where you live and won't pry if you don't want to divulge anything about your personal life. I do hope to know more about you, Cassie, especially when you meet the other great people in my book club. Here, would you place your information on this piece of paper? And I would very much like to look at your cute phone."

Naomi's smile shown empathy to whatever Cassie is going through if she didn't really have a home close to this part of the city. Was she a runaway or a vigilante? It was too much to speculate but having her own ideas, it was the former. While Cassie wrote down any information on the slip of paper Naomi offered, the book store owner observed the phone if given. After inspection, she knew much more than she led on at first about the panther but chose not to say anything.

Cassie
Member Avatar
Good Poster
Instantly, Cassie reaches into the front pocket of her bag to get her phone, to find it wasn't there. She checks her pockets real quick, still no luck, and with a quick zzzzzip delves further into the main part of her napsack. All without putting anything down!

"Really!?" There's no way Cassie's not going to join now. She's so enamored by the situation that the kitty girl quickly gets caught between trying to shuffle through her bag and reaching out for the leather signy book. Letting go of the bag with one paw does her in.

A tumble, a fumble, "AH!" followed by a thump and clatter and the bag hits the floor, a few items spilling out. In Cassie's hand was the phone and, well, not the bag anymore. That's for sure.

Cassie doesn't know what to do anymore, and quickly hands Naomi the cute little phone with the bright pink paw-print skin so she can drop to the floor and gather her stuff. Of the stuff in view, Naomi can see pencils, an eraser shaped like a teddy bear, a notebook and smaller book of addresses (half crossed out) and to-do list, a flower, and a book on advanced calculus. What stayed in the bag but poked out the side looked to be a scroll.

Naomi Davenport
Poster
The offer of attempting to ease Cassie frustration with her belongings placed Naomi in a slight predicament but just decided to hide the twitch of emphatic pain of knowing what Cassie was going through at that very moment. Being a slight klutz herself, she immediately saw what was about to happen. It was too clear from her own experiences. Just as the first item was about to drop, the shopkeeper flipped up a side hinged door to exit her counter area to help the panther out with her belongings.

The phone was left where Cassie had placed it on the counter as Naomi met on the floor to help gather up the items. If allowed, Cassie would help her pick some of the loose things up. The inductive reasoning within Naomi's head observed what was seen, and her memory was instilled with everything she saw that belonged to Cassie. Only a moment of hesitation came across the scroll as she grabbed it to give back to Cassie with a smile.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Domain · Next Topic »
Add Reply